Author Topic: Radar glitch and plr file  (Read 2010 times)

Radar glitch and plr file
Hi,

Had a search around but can't seem to find a resolution that's viable for me - previous solutions have let the player make their wait the hud options in debug but it crashes at the start for me. Using Knossos.

Error: Player file has invalid radar range -1
File: plr.cpp
Line: 143

log: https://fsnebula.org/log/5aeed9e1cb8db12a786227cc

I'm only at the training levels so I'm happy to reset the player profile but I can't seem to find a way to do that?

Thank you for any help in advance!

Re: Radar glitch and plr file
Solved, deleted .plr file in /appdata.

to clarify, in case someone else has this trouble....
it took me about 3 hours tonight to fix.    program kept crashing before I could even select a pilot.  Error message:
Player file has invalide radar range -1
File : plr.cpp
Line 143

the problem is a corrupted player file.
I think I caused this when I tried to change the colors in my HUD.

Solution:
delete your player file (yourname.plr) located HERE:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\data\players

This is not intuitive, since I had expected the player data to be here:
C:\Games\Freespace 2\data\players\single      - but it is NOT.

Good luck ! once I deleted my plr file the game works again.  So I'll be sure to clone my pilot from now on in case I have to delete one again.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Solution:
delete your player file (yourname.plr) located HERE:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\data\players

This is not intuitive, since I had expected the player data to be here:
C:\Games\Freespace 2\data\players\single      - but it is NOT.

To clarify this. The root game folder is used, if you run FSO with portable mode.
which i personally prefer, if you do not use a protected system folder for your games anyway
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:15:46 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline AV8R

My pilot file is in: C:\Games\Freespace2\data\players

Does that mean I'm using Freespace in "Portable Mode"?

I'd rather use it in that mode anyway since it makes it easy to backup and restore (simply copy the Freespace2 folder and all of its contents to a backup drive/NAS - copy contents back to restore). Nothing to install next time if hard drive crashes, just copy folder and its content back to drive and run Launcher.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Either you're in portable mode (or more likely) you're using an older launcher which doesn't support %appdata%, yet.