Author Topic: FSF: Tech demo  (Read 12551 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Well, now that this is thoroughly derailed and morale is shot to hell, how about back on track.

*grabs nearby can of Red Bull*

*opens up FsF morale valve*

*begins pouring*

--- 2 weeks later ---

*stops pouring*

Now, let's get this baby back on track! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmmm, I think it might be advisable to hammer out a few details. A few things about this project have been bothering me since the first discussions of it. Here's what would be useful to know:

What does 'project owner' mean Kazan? Does it mean you have the right to veto whatever you want? If it comes down to it do you have the right to stop anyone other than yourself from accessing the code? What if you grow tired of it? (and you have to admit that there is the possibility) Will you stop others from coding it until/if you decided to start again?

Is this thing open source, closed source or some intermediate? Obviously you don't want everyone and anyone messing with the code, in which case who would verify the code that people are submitting? This team of leaders you've been discussing?
Likewise if it's closed source I guess that when you say it's done it's done which would make FSF a temporary fix to the problem that whatever engine we're using will eventually become defunct.

Originally posted by Kazan:
it's still my project, my idea

I don't mean to be rude but how can you claim that something like this is your concept that you don't want people ripping off? The search for a new engine began as soon as modders and gamers discussed the possibility of FS3. Lets face it, no one can claim 'ownership' on such a concept the only thing you could probably claim as your own would be the title 'Freespace forever'.

I don't want to come across as harsh or overly critical but if this project does go ahead as planned a lot of people will be investing a good deal of their skill and time into it and it's fair to tell them where they stand.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Maeglamor
I don't mean to be rude but how can you claim that something like this is your concept that you don't want people ripping off? The search for a new engine began as soon as modders and gamers discussed the possibility of FS3. Lets face it, no one can claim 'ownership' on such a concept the only thing you could probably claim as your own would be the title 'Freespace forever'.

Actually, IIRC this project is unique in that no-one's tried to make an engine that is backwards-compatable with the FS data files.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This isn't the first time Kazan has accused people of "stealing his ideas"; as Inq said, he is trying to take charge of things, although in a subtle way. If this is to be a true community project, things simply cannot be allowed to work this way. For any internet-based project consisting of a staff of more than one person, there is no real owner or dictator-type leader; if one person tries to gain complete control and overturn everyone else's decisions, people will simply leave, since there are no real benefits.

Anyway, you said you need some stuff in max format. Could you give the specifics? ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 10:07:47 am by 296 »

Offline Inquisitor

Yeah, catch me on ICQ 37097749
No signature.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ok, it's good to see that things have settled down somewhat, this idea is supposed to bring people together, not split the community in two. However it's clear that if this is ever going to get off the ground some basic ground rules, administration/hierarchy and end goals are going to have to be constructed. I have no interest in being amongst the head honchos of this thing although I'm happy to work out concepts and so on - however I do have strong feelings that a democracy will have to be put together where two or three people share "head honcho" duties, thus there's no one person attempting to take control of things and everyone has their say. How this is done is up to those people who volunteer for the jobs, more on this later...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
bah, anyway, if there's a pb, with who owns what, it's easy:
I have that idea: yeah, we should make... her... hard Light conflict :D That's my idea, let's do it :D but as I'm not a programmer, i step back and let anyone code for it :nod: Good idea no?
Ok, now: this is a joke to cool down the atmosphere, hey, nobody takes it the rong way please :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Originally posted by Inquisitor
A start screen, 640x480 with Freespace Forever somewhere in it and a place for me to put 5 or 6 buttons, about 100 pixes or so wide.

Ding! :D

Made in MAX.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I love it...except the font :D

Like what I think Thunder up there said.  Perhaps what needs to happen is the setting up of a leading council and perhaps an open development forum.  If this is going to be that big and the development is going to require the input for this many people...then thats what needs to happen.

I don't think I've ever worked on a project where absolute power was required or even necessary.  Ruling by a council may be the best way to go.  It would certainly negate any damage that one individual could cause.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by IceFire
I love it...except the font :D

Like what I think Thunder up there said.  Perhaps what needs to happen is the setting up of a leading council and perhaps an open development forum.  If this is going to be that big and the development is going to require the input for this many people...then thats what needs to happen.

I don't think I've ever worked on a project where absolute power was required or even necessary.  Ruling by a council may be the best way to go.  It would certainly negate any damage that one individual could cause.

My thoughts too.
Got Ether?

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
Other fonts.

-------------------------------------

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
Maybe I should render one @ wallpaper-rez. (?)

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
A nice idea if it's not to much trouble - I dont think Inq needs them at that resolution though.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So, has everything settled down? Are we all back on track?

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
Originally posted by Thunder
A nice idea if it's not to much trouble - I dont think Inq needs them at that resolution though.

No trouble. I'll render 'em after work tomorrow.

I'm thinking 1024x768, 1280x1024.

Any other sizes?

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
To be honest I don't know - what Inq said he wanted is (I'm guessing) what he wanted... but it'd be good to have some different sizes for wallpapers and website stuff etc... :nod:

What about making an intro movie starting with that scene then have a ship of some kind start to fly by (fighter/bomber) then have the camera rotate as the title disapates to view an oncoming cap ship
camera zoom on the bridge of cap ship then smoothly transfers into a ingame screen? :D Just an idea.
quote "No brain, no pain" :wakka:
quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"  :nervous:
quote "The harder you try, the dumber you look" :doh:
quote "Dogs are basically good and cats are evil, so people are stupid" " I don't follow your logic" "My theory would suggest so" :bump:

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Silver_Scythe
What about making an intro movie starting with that scene then have a ship of some kind start to fly by (fighter/bomber) then have the camera rotate as the title disapates to view an oncoming cap ship
camera zoom on the bridge of cap ship then smoothly transfers into a ingame screen? :D Just an idea.

yeah, and what about orchestral musics and 72 cutscenes?
Dude, that's a test not the latest game from squaresoft :rolleyes:
SCREW CANON!

Fine......
How about for the real thing if it ever happens :rolleyes: :D
quote "No brain, no pain" :wakka:
quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"  :nervous:
quote "The harder you try, the dumber you look" :doh:
quote "Dogs are basically good and cats are evil, so people are stupid" " I don't follow your logic" "My theory would suggest so" :bump: