Author Topic: new build  (Read 10702 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nothing specal in this one, just been doing a lot of debugging and I though it's gotten to the point were it's worth a publick beta test, so most up to date version of FSO is avalable now right here
I think the biggest improvement will be in the nebula, I did a lot of work on getting thrusters to fade properly, and there is a general improvement to the rendering of thrusters, as well as a number of other small improvements mostly leading to stability (not nesasaraly crashproof but thereshould be less/none of that fireballs flickering beams disapearing bull)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Note that this is an unofficial public test.  I'm stickying this so that people will see it, but please understand that we're still squashing bugs.  Don't expect bulletproof performance, but do tell us what goes wrong so that we can fix it. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Do thruster trails scale according to absolute velocity yet?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Beauty, downloading now.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
updated, better nebula poof code
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
That y-key crashes still occur to me, and I think that it will be the end of the me :)

(DirectX 8)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 03:32:43 am by 103 »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline J3Vr6

Just curuious.  I saw a post where Kazan said that FS_Open was using like 172 megs of memory and mentioned that stock FS2 didn't use that much.  Did any  coder look into that?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just tried it, runs pretty smooth.

Good stuff:
- Rotating stuff works as it should
-Shine mapping seems very stable, no more flickering or over-shiny'ness
-Scaling of the models in Tech room is nice, not perfect yet, but nice

Buggy stuff:
-glowpoints sometimes are not where they should be.
-Some models (i.e. the jumpgate from TBP) cause massive fps drop down to 10fps, but only in certain missions. In other missions they work fine, haven't figured out yet what causes this.
-Sometimes gunfire is visible through objects, sometimes it isn't.
-Nebula missions crash after 10 secs back to wiindows with a D3d_help error. But what I've seen in this 10 secs was über-schweet...just awesome

BTW just noticed: Something with the engine glows has changed. I'm running FSO on 1280x1024 TFT which obviously is a ratio of 5:4. So FSO with its 1024x768 res is always a bit vertically stretched, but all recent FS2 builds (even stock FS2) somehow managed to keep the engine glows circular. But this newest build doens't, it stretches the glows also, so they becom ellipses which is a bit strange......just thought I'd let you know.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Zarax

Good job over most stuff...
I've noticed some problems however...

1) Everything is way too dark... you should raise the default lighting level...

2) Effects have an odd problem... playing at 1024x768 previous circular effects now looks elliptic... weird..

3) There's a strange slowdown that occurs when an object comes in view for the first time... just like it's loaded only in that moment...

My system: PIII 1ghz 512mb RAM GE-Force2 GTS
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Zarax
2) Effects have an odd problem... playing at 1024x768 previous circular effects now looks elliptic... weird..

3) There's a strange slowdown that occurs when an object comes in view for the first time... just like it's loaded only in that moment...

Same here. Plus the game crahes after a minute or so from starting the mission. The screen just freezes, and nothing happens.

Offline Zarax

New bug: in some missions friendly turrets don't fire, and even friendly beams seems affected... they fires once per target and then nothing... yes, beam free all is activated, in this case by FRED Open default
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Bobboau, have you been experimenting with Environmental mapping again? Only I'm getting the wierdest effects going on with Phreaks background POF... I'll try and get some screenies, it'll explain it better.....

Flipside :D

Ok, I'm just having a casual dogfight, and suddenly, theres no other way of describing it, the sky falls off.

Next is a little later as it nears the bottom of the screen. Attempting to steer the ship towards your rapidly vanishing universe has no effect whatsoever.

And finally, another one (the thing rotates around the screen a bit as well).

The very very wierdest part of it all is that the moment I kill all the Shivans, it all snaps back into place? It might be something to do with the Engine particles being used on my modded fighter, I'll give it a try without them and see what happens :)

Flipside :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 07:33:31 pm by 394 »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I like it overall, havent had much time to play with it - but to address the lightness issue, can we make this adjustable via command line or something? I love it as it is (though some of the shines are still to bright) but others dont. Only fair to make it an option, right?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think the brightness issue has to do with RT's new gama code, so you'll just have to make an adjustment in the options screen.

are all you people useing DX or OGL, the thing with the sky falling off in particular sounds like matrix problems and it could explain the crasshing, but I'm prety sure my DX matrix code is working and I know for a fact that the backgroud pof thingy is causeing problems that I don't see in that pic.

I think I have fixed the glows not rendering quite right bug I'll post an update in a minute
[update done]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 08:13:31 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Sticks

I think that the position of the background pof isn't being updated every frame, because mine seems to occasionally become "jerky", where it starts to receed for a frame or two and then snaps back into place.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline terren

WOW!
this beats the SS of doom 3 that I see in PC gamer.  I'm not kidding, although I do need a new Vid card so FS2 run's faster then the screen shots...
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Flipside, whats going on with that beam cannon in the background.  Thats really cool!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think that's the particle trail on a fighter.  But it does look like a beam cannon; perhaps it's too intense for what it's supposed to be.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
-Scaling of the models in Tech room is nice, not perfect yet, but nice

Yes, as the Colossus isn't showing entirely
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
ambient light!! we want ambient light ! ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.