Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597294 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Maybe the SC community really is waking up after 6 years of "development".

https://www.xkcd.com/1013/ :-)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Maybe the SC community really is waking up after 6 years of "development".

https://www.xkcd.com/1013/ :-)

I can't help but feel like they missed an opportunity by not drawing the actual freaky deaky sheep pupil in that close up.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And they have to think twice.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Bot harder, Bryan.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But remember, it's soooo deeeeeeeeep
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mikes

So? Ship sales are going well! That's all that matters, right?

Even the old Drake ship lineup without the mythical "LTI" managed to make them 150k in just one day yesterday. Oh and I just checked the funding stats, they are up to 145,838,771$ total now. 145,838,771$!  :eek:

And I have a feeling that number has long become a yardstick for the imagined awesomeness of the game over there at RSI. It really is kinda like a prosperity cult, as mentioned earlier.
(And the funny thing is, it would be the first "prosperity cult" that could, in theory, work as advertised, if it wasn't for their total incompetency.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:32:31 am by Mikes »

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mikes

is it just me or after 5 years of development is the basic gameplay still in shambles

If you want to go full cynic mode you have to admit that "obviously broken" combat that of course will be much much better "in the future" is pretty much perfect if you are in the business of selling "dreams" instead of actual "games". And it doesn't matter if they do it on purpose or out of genuine incompetency.

Nothing could hurt them more at this stage, than presenting gameplay in "finished" stage.

P.S. In related news: This video made me so sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5kXCm2ct0 (Check the date after watching it.)
P.P.S.: It also made quite a few people at RSI sad: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/376405/wtf-is-this-vid-an-april-fools-joke
P.P.P.S.: We still *need* a new space game for this generation ... and it sucks how this "dream" has been captured and is currently run into the ground by a certain Chris Roberts.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:02:28 am by Mikes »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
P.P.P.S.: We still *need* a new space game for this generation ... and it sucks how this "dream" has been captured and is currently run into the ground by a certain Chris Roberts.

I guess Elite: Dangerous doesn't count because it's had a development in the reverse direction?

Oh, wait, it doesn't, despite being a functional game delivered as promised​ and drastically improved over the past almost-three years, clearly not a space game for our generation. :P

I've flat out given up on SC being anything that could be considered "fun." At least the ****ing combat in ED is consistent, while every update in a goddamn five year old alpha changes the combat so much that nobody is happy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:01:06 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
is it just me or after 5 years of development is the basic gameplay still in shambles

If you want to go full cynic mode you have to admit that "obviously broken" combat that of course will be much much better "in the future" is pretty much perfect if you are in the business of selling "dreams" instead of actual "games". And it doesn't matter if they do it on purpose or out of genuine incompetency.

Nothing could hurt them more at this stage, than presenting gameplay in "finished" stage.

P.S. In related news: This video made me so sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5kXCm2ct0 (Check the date after watching it.)
P.P.S.: It also made quite a few people at RSI sad: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/376405/wtf-is-this-vid-an-april-fools-joke

If you want a new Privateer, have you tried X3:Albion Prelude? It's the best open world space sim you can get, and pretty good at its job if you can overlook the flaws and/or are willing to mod them out. Just stay away from X: Rebirth, it's garbage.

Offline Kszyhu

So? Ship sales are going well! That's all that matters, right?

Even the old Drake ship lineup without the mythical "LTI" managed to make them 150k in just one day yesterday. Oh and I just checked the funding stats, they are up to 145,838,771$ total now. 145,838,771$!  :eek:

And I have a feeling that number has long become a yardstick for the imagined awesomeness of the game over there at RSI. It really is kinda like a prosperity cult, as mentioned earlier.
(And the funny thing is, it would be the first "prosperity cult" that could, in theory, work as advertised, if it wasn't for their total incompetency.)

On the other hand, their funding in the first quarter of 2017 was worse than for 2014, 2015 and 2016, so the hype is kinda slowing down. Of course I'm sure another "totally in-game demo" will make it skyrocket again.

Offline Mikes

I guess Elite: Dangerous doesn't count because it's had a development in the reverse direction?

Oh, wait, it doesn't, despite being a functional game delivered as promised​ and drastically improved over the past almost-three years, clearly not a space game for our generation. :P

I've flat out given up on SC being anything that could be considered "fun." At least the ****ing combat in ED is consistent, while every update in a goddamn five year old alpha changes the combat so much that nobody is happy.

No Elite doesn't count for me, because I refuse to play games anymore that revolve mostly about grinding as the main motivation to play.
SC doesn't count for me either for that matter because: See trainwreck described in this post. And whether SC will end up as just another grinding game is still up in the air as well.
(I had my hopes on SQ42 from the start ... but that hope is several meters below ground level by now.)

Matter of fact, what I am really looking forward to is the next instalment of Blue Planet. No ifs, no buts, just adoration.  :)

But it would be nice to have a commercial Space Sim that finally tells a story worth telling again as well. 

If you want a new Privateer, have you tried X3:Albion Prelude? It's the best open world space sim you can get, and pretty good at its job if you can overlook the flaws and/or are willing to mod them out. Just stay away from X: Rebirth, it's garbage.

Yes I did. Played the heck out of it actually, despite past experience with the X Games. X - Games still always make me sad in the end because so much promise meets such bad mechanics. Basic space combat and space combat AI always sucked and X3 is no difference. Outfitting a full airwing for your new Carrier and then noticing that 50 fighters have a hard time hitting anything with guns is a bit of a downer. Those capital ships that deftly dodge their bulk out of the way of comically slowly incoming capital weapon shots is another matter, effectively meaning a player run ship can defeat dozens of enemy capitals while an AI controlled ship usually dies in the first headon charge ... because AI can't dodge DUH! Don't take me wrong ... the X - Games do a lot of things right and I guess what they do best is that elusive "immersion" that SC is always after as well. But the story has always been so bad in the X Games that it gives rise to unintended hilarious laughing fits and that coupled with gameplay that mostly revolves around getting "more so that you can get more so that you can get more ... " until you arrive at a point where gameplay kinda breaks down because the developers obviously never gave fleet management or large scale engagements or even basic AI vs AI combat any thought at all always kills it for me in the end. And don't take me wrong ... I get what sandbox games are and what they are trying to do ... but to do that successfully it's not a good idea to continually lure the player in with promises in the early game just to have every single promise come crashing down in the mid and late game due to badly working gameplay mechanics - if they work at all.

Funny thing ... when thinking about it now ... there are a lot of similarities to SC in some respects: I.e. the best times in X3 I had when playing the early game with a small ship as I was only "dreaming" about all the great things one could do in the game later ...  then as you finally arrived at your dreams it turned out the game sh*ts all over them.  :banghead:

What we are seeing now with SC and also Nomads Sky for example, appears to be a new kind of game: A game that is better than anything that came before at making you "dream those dreams", but doesn't wait until mid/late game to start sh*tting all over them, like X3, but rather sh*ts all over them the moment they get officially released and you start playing.  :hopping:

And no, I haven't seen any mods for X3 that address the basic flaws in mechanics, although the last time I checked was of course a couple of years ago. But to fix what is wrong with X3 would pretty much require a rewrite of the entire combat/flight engine and it's AI, just for starters, so I'd be surprised if anyone took that on.

P.S. Sorry for the rant ... you kinda struck a nerve there, as you can probably tell. ;-)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:32:35 pm by Mikes »

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Oh, did not wanna bring up bad memories. The bits about wasted potential are very true. I found a mod that kind of tried to fix the combat mechanics called X Rebalance mod. But it failed to address many of the fundamentals you mentioned.

The Litcube's Universe mod for X3 takes it's strategy game and runs with it. X: Rebirth got patched to event horizon and back and lots of people are now positive about it.

House of the Dying sun is a short game but it's still a really good space shooter. If you liked Diaspora I bet you will enjoy this one. I am quite certain that that music was designed by somebody who worked on certain BSG things before and the writing, albeit only short, high-density blurbs, does have the mark of another familiar writer in the FS2 community.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No Elite doesn't count for me, because I refuse to play games anymore that revolve mostly about grinding as the main motivation to play.
SC doesn't count for me either for that matter because: See trainwreck described in this post. And whether SC will end up as just another grinding game is still up in the air as well.

Don't ever play any MMO or RPG, because they're all sandbox grindfests one way or another. :P At least FDev has acknowledged the sparsity of their missions and are working to alleviate that.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mikes

The Litcube's Universe mod for X3 takes it's strategy game and runs with it. X: Rebirth got patched to event horizon and back and lots of people are now positive about it.

House of the Dying sun is a short game but it's still a really good space shooter. If you liked Diaspora I bet you will enjoy this one. I am quite certain that that music was designed by somebody who worked on certain BSG things before and the writing, albeit only short, high-density blurbs, does have the mark of another familiar writer in the FS2 community.

I yeah, I played through House of the Dying Sun at least 4 times now. :-)
If i ever pull the trigger on a VR headset then that will be one of the first games to revisit as well.

House of the Dying Sun, being all around awesome, just has one major flaw ... it's too short and leaves you wanting more so badly.

Don't ever play any MMO or RPG, because they're all sandbox grindfests one way or another. :P At least FDev has acknowledged the sparsity of their missions and are working to alleviate that.

Oh I've played MMOs ... even back in the day as Everquest still was the number one. You could say MMOs are the entire reason I am nowadays so opposed to "gameplay" mechanics that amount to little else than repeating menial tasks over and over and over as an alternative to actually having to develop content with some depth. MMOs were always enjoyable, not because, but very much DESPITE the (horrible, simplistic, idiotic, offensive, - insert expletive here) gameplay mechanics and usually because of the people you played with. Some more than others, but that's mostly how it is in my eyes.

Now we have that fad where the worst of MMO mechanics is infecting single player games however. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good example for this. Take the worst of what MMOs have to offer in order to artificially increase "playtime" and call it "open world" bleigh.  :shaking: This video still kinda explains the issue best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c

There was actually one MMO that I adored and played the heck out of back in the day and that is the original Guild Wars. Low level cap. Leveling up being not a grind but rather the tutorial. Max level gear being easily available at every corner. Grinding being purely optional for only cosmetics. And gameplay revolving all around finding good skill decks with good synergies, team play and strategy and challenging missions. But that too was weakened in the sequel, which is still less grindy than most MMOs out there, but very much bleigh in comparison to it's brilliant predecessor - oh and it's much more "monetized" as well. 

Which brings us back to SC ... I still find it highly ironic that so many companies are/were fighting such an uphill battle/shooting themselves in the foot trying to "monetize" their games in all kinds of horrible and idiotic ways with microtransactions that has entire communities up in arms  ... and now Chris Roberts comes around and shows that people are perfectly fine with microtransactions, even "macrotransactions", or what do you call 1000$ space ships?, as long as you charge them not after, but before the game is released.  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:01:55 am by Mikes »

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

This is such a brilliant point. To state the obvious - it is in CIG's best interest not to complete SC and it would seem they've built their business model around that philosophy. They make EA look like ****ing saints.

O/T - I recently started the Witcher 3 (after reading the 1st book) and it's sort of ruined every other sandbox/rpg game I own. The quantity and quality of lore, the sheer detail and uniqueness of the sidequests, particularly the monster-hunting ones...the game makes Bethesda look like ****ing dilettantes!

EDIT:

Matter of fact, what I am really looking forward to is the next instalment of Blue Planet. No ifs, no buts, just adoration.

Likewise. I lurk HLP boards for exactly that and Diaspora. :)

O/T - I recently started the Witcher 3 (after reading the 1st book) and it's sort of ruined every other sandbox/rpg game I own. The quantity and quality of lore, the sheer detail and uniqueness of the sidequests, particularly the monster-hunting ones...the game makes Bethesda look like ****ing dilettantes!

oh **** off, they're different games trying to do different things and there are plenty of places where skyrim makes TW3 look like a clumsy fisher-price tech demo

i don't even get why people like you compare tw3 to bethesda when it's so obviously a direct sibling to bioware RPGs

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Well excuse me for having an opinion then. I always found Skyrim's combat to be clunky and unenjoyable personally, whereas I love the combat in TW3. It is a newer game, I will concede.