Author Topic: First-ever direct image of a black hole  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
First-ever direct image of a black hole

There is widespread attention about the first-ever direct image of a black hole and its shadow, taken by the ground-based Event Horizon Telescope (EHT).
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: First-ever direct image of a black hole

here's some context.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Scott manly context:

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I honestly wasn't expecting the quality of the image to be this good. Thought it'd be more blurry. Very exciting!

And to think, this one's in a galaxy much much farther away from us compared to our own resident black hole. I look forward to when they can get an image of Sgr.A

There’s an awful lot of interstellar gas and dust between us and Sagittarius A*. Not to mention a lot of stars very close to the target and within the visual arc the make for a very poor signal to noise ratio in virtually every wavelength we’ve tried so far. Direct line of sight may not be possible.

But it is still sending goosebumps down my spine to see hard visual confirmation of these monsters! (In a good way!) 
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Does it mean all black holes look the same?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
All black holes look exactly the same, apart from size. I imagine there's probably some variation in the accretion disc, but probably not massive variation. I doubt there's vast visual difference between black holes.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Luis Dias

I'm slightly skeptical about the end result, there's a lot of algorithmic pressupositions that were used to fill in the gaps of just using around 8 telescopes around the globe.

But the feat is amazing in itself. I can't wait for new radiotelescopes to enter the network, and to see if there are noticeable differences if they use, say, 20 or 30 telescopes instead of the ones they used.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm slightly skeptical about the end result, there's a lot of algorithmic pressupositions that were used to fill in the gaps of just using around 8 telescopes around the globe.

But the feat is amazing in itself. I can't wait for new radiotelescopes to enter the network, and to see if there are noticeable differences if they use, say, 20 or 30 telescopes instead of the ones they used.

I don't think more scopes will fundamentally alter the basic facts here; It's not like anything we'd be able to see at higher resolution would invalidate the point that Relativity has been confirmed again.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

xkcd doodled a size comparison, to give some perspective on the scale of this thing.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I guess people think about this on a higher plane than I do.

lotta people on the net be like: confirms relativity science billions and billions science noise ratio science telescopes

and I'm just looking at this thinking dang, there's the thing that haunted my nightmares as a kid, confirmed.  :lol: Sense of wonder level turned up to eleven  :p

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They shouldn’t be mutually exclusive. For me, one reinforces the other. The more I learn, the more I understand, the more amazing the universe becomes!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Luis Dias

I don't think more scopes will fundamentally alter the basic facts here; It's not like anything we'd be able to see at higher resolution would invalidate the point that Relativity has been confirmed again.

Have to say, quite tired of more of this "Einstein's proven right yet again!" marketing schticks. It's not as if we hadn't had conclusive evidence of black holes before, let alone all the millions of different confirmations of GR.

But YES, the picture is brilliant... I have to disagree with your assessment though, there was a lot in that image that was "inferred". I wonder how much, and how much of algorithmic prejudice was put in the works so that the picture ended up very similar to the previous simulations.

It's not as if we hadn't had conclusive evidence of black holes before,

We, uh, hadn't. Look it up. Previous observational evidence proved, I believe, the existence of various ultra-compact objects bounded by a sphere less than about 1.5 times the Schwarzschild radius, but this is the first time observations have been able to directly probe the event horizon.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Five petabytes of data isn't enough for Luis.  Too many holes to fill in.  (You know, besides the one being observed.)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They shouldn’t be mutually exclusive. For me, one reinforces the other. The more I learn, the more I understand, the more amazing the universe becomes!

Lol, you're right. Didn't mean it that way at all, just saying that it was only after reading people's reactions that I was like 'ohey, this is scientifically very notable and important'  :p my personal reaction having just been some variation of:

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude that's rad and creepy-cool  :lol:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
How many seconds from release until the first goatse of it? :p

It's not as if we hadn't had conclusive evidence of black holes before,

We, uh, hadn't. Look it up. Previous observational evidence proved, I believe, the existence of various ultra-compact objects bounded by a sphere less than about 1.5 times the Schwarzschild radius, but this is the first time observations have been able to directly probe the event horizon.
Don't mind Luis, I can't recall the last time I've seen him be positive about anything. :)

How many seconds from release until the first goatse of it? :p
Well, goatse died some 15-20 years ago, so that seems unlikely.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All black holes look exactly the same, apart from size. I imagine there's probably some variation in the accretion disc, but probably not massive variation. I doubt there's vast visual difference between black holes.

Nah you can get a lot of funny stuff. Spin and related frame dragging will change its appearance (though almost all holes in nature are probably spinning Kerr types, unless they've been spun down with Penrose robbery). There'll be effects on the accretion disc and its apparent separation from the event horizon depending on spin type, presence or absence of polar jets, jet mechanism (also linked to spin type), the event horizon becoming oblong with higher spin, and, best of all, exciting differences if you dip your head into the photon sphere to see what's trapped there!

The big changes in appearance would be due to spin rate, matter in the ergosphere, and jets.

e: Also holy **** we skipped over the BIG difference - a tame, domestic stellar mass black hole couldn't look more different from an active galactic nucleus, our ol' buddy the quasar, which is among the most luminous things in the universe. Different types of black holes have the VASTEST visual difference!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:09:23 am by General Battuta »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I wish you wrote high school text books......before I needed them in mean.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png