Author Topic: I really don't know what to say...  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I really don't know what to say...
why, that's your opinon and if you were given a forum upon wich to express your opinions why would you be in trouble for doing so
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Grey Wolf

You know, watching that made me decide to do one thing: I should really watch the BBC News when it's on PBS.

Anyway, everyone knows that Fox News is one of the most right-wing stations on television.  They're incredibly biased in favor of the conservative branch of the Republican party.

A random interesting point: The two most dominant political viewpoints of the populace at large almost never get expressed. Moderate liberal and moderate conservative. This are the groups that maybe 80% of the country would fall into. But all you really hear  making noises are the extremists....
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase they are the loudest
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Sid: Wait wait wait, you have to pay a tax for BBC? :wtf:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well I don't follow fox nor bbc (for obvious reasons) so I'm not sure what excatly this movie should be, nor who this man is, I mean, it doesn't look like a news report, it seem more a tv space given to an opinions maker.
You can't pretend news to be absolutely objective, and in my opinion if a news service pretend to be so, it is simply hypocrite.
Think at the word information, it comes from the latin in-forma, which mean to give a "shape", so when someone diffuse informations, he also codify those informations using his own point of view, more or less consciously.
I prefer, and consider less dangerous, someone who act like this moron, whose opinion is evident and not hidden, rather than someone who use more .... insidious tricks.
this, until more people can give you the same informations from different points of view and you can choose freely between them.
And this is even more true when expressing opinions than reporting news.
Obviously to express an information through a personal point of view doesn't mean to lie, distort or hide informations, which seem to happen in this case.  And in a perfect world we'd have only "intellectually honest" journalists (not sure if this words combination has a sense in english), but we don't live in a perfect world...and about news Italy is surely less perfect than USA..:p
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 07:54:43 pm by 433 »

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Bobboau
you see a 20 second editorial from a substitute anchor and you think it's the offical position of the network.

Not a bad attempt at spinning the situation without actually lying, Bob. Its a shame that what you're implying is a lie.

I watch FoxNews regularly, as well as CNN, and the BBC. I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, THAT IS THE OFFICIAL POSITION OF THE NETWORK. I don't base this on the 20 seconds of a substitute anchor. I base it on the long running statements and attitudes put forth by the network's major mouthpieces (the aforementioned Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly come to mind).
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my point wasn't that it was(n't) there offical position, it was that people seems to be baseing there oppinions on it based only on this spot.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
So they're getting the truth from 20sec of footage. That doesn't make it less true.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Bobboau
my point wasn't that it was(n't) there offical position, it was that people seems to be baseing there oppinions on it based only on this spot.

I'm British and I already knew FOX was trash, this just rams home why.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Sid: Wait wait wait, you have to pay a tax for BBC? :wtf:

The BBC is funded by the TV license. It's a £100 charge you have to pay once a year to own a TV set. It's a rather strange system but it means that the Beeb doesn't need adverts or corporate sponsorships for shows which means that it doesn't have to worry about being as commercial as other stations.

BBC1 tends to be fairly popularist but BBC2 & 4 show quite a few more highbrow shows. In fact I learned more history from BBC2 than I learned in school :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Also, BBC 2 airs Red Dwarf, Star Trek and Stargate ;)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Kalfireth
and Stargate ;)

That earns at least some of my respect... ;) Though some of the new eps aren't as good as their classics. Still itching for Atlantis, though.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Anybody who lives in the US, and probably most people who live outside it, know just how full of **** FOX is already, bob.

And in reference to that post way back there, no, I don't think there's any particular correlation between personality and political leaning (though I've never really seen a friendly Nazi or conservative with a whole lotta capacity for sympathy, gotta say), it's just that O'Reilly's an asshole and he's full of it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 11:10:55 am by 262 »

Stargate's on Channel 4, as is Star Trek now (just Enterprise mind). To my mind SG has never been on BBC at all.

KT it's not officially a tax, although it functions as one. If you have a TV, regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not, you must pay it.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well,  I suppose this is the main problem, theres an opinion and theres an informed opinion. The Hitler youth had an opinion.......

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Carl
this is what i got from that video: the BBC messed up. they shouldn't lie.

This is what happens when you rely on 20 second tirades lacking substance or fact for your news. Read up on the backgound of Lord Hutton, the guy who originally said the BBC was lying and you might see things different.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0401/S00155.htm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The Government appoint the judiciary - what did people expect?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by karajorma

The BBC is funded by the TV license. It's a £100 charge you have to pay once a year to own a TV set. It's a rather strange system but it means that the Beeb doesn't need adverts or corporate sponsorships for shows which means that it doesn't have to worry about being as commercial as other stations.

BBC1 tends to be fairly popularist but BBC2 & 4 show quite a few more highbrow shows. In fact I learned more history from BBC2 than I learned in school :)

Man, this is something I've always wanted for the US. When you consider that there are 224,807,040 in american households (approximately 3 televisions per 4 humans), a $100 TV Tax would net $22 billion for PBS. hell, cut that to $10 per TV and that proves a fund of $2 billion. They currently operate on $324 million per annum. Imagine how much better programming we could get. :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Gonna be a good listening exercise. . .
How can I save this on my winchester?
The Save as does not work, it does not save the video itself. But that is that what I need.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Er... not sure we should be encouraging people to look at Fox videos.