Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621851 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I've been playing Star Conflict for ages now. It's one of those free to play games, so not much in the way of story, but the combat is nice and technical :-P

Downsizes are the grind and no single player mode as such.

It's third person control but kind of needed since guns rotate independently of ship.

Although I would like to play FS2 again since there are new campaigns and new media vps :-P

Friend of mine gifted me Titanfall 2. Probably would never have picked up the game on my own, but if it's free, why not give it a shot? Never played the original, but as I understand it the sequel is much improved.

First impressions are... favorable. Going to have to get used to this parkour combat. FPS instincts say to find cover and shoot, not run and jump around. Whoever decided that weapon sights should be on a toggle instead of only when pressing the left mouse button is an idiot.

Titan piloting is pretty basic mech gameplay. Not much to say about it so far. Believe it or not the ground combat is more interesting to me at the moment.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I just bought Rainbow Six: Siege and also just installed the Titanfall 2 multiplayer trial going this weekend. Going between the two games is almost impossible, to Titanfall's detriment in my experience.

I haven't clocked much time in Siege but it's already taken over how I play -- slow, methodical, with bursts of aggression and an eye on any wall less sturdy than stone or concrete. It's very impressive and I'm very glad to have caught it on sale recently. I'm not much of an online player, not since Halo 2, but I'm really enjoying multiplayer in Siege.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
My first Tyranny(-playthrough) has come to an end ... I kinda feel it played very little of the game despite 26 houres playtime. But I didn't stray much off the beaten path, even left one territory completely untouched (access was governed by a dialgoue choice that didn't mesh with the tone of my "loyalist until act 3"-playthrough) - so going back and looking at the path not travelled might be a thing in the next years :)

Verdict: solid B+ cRPG
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Comanche Gold.

Decided to spend some time and film most of the missions (note: I did it in a sort of speed-runner-ish way, and not a "how a proper pilot would do it way," you can tell because I neglect Hellfire guidelines on this). I hated filming every minute of the Sakhalin Island campaign.

I own copies of Comanche Gold and Comanche 4. Recently reinstalled C4 and discovered that I had to install a No-CD patch because Win10 has a bug with Safedisc v2, in that it will NOT load secdrv.sys, so the game wouldn't run otherwise. One thing I remember about C4 was that it changed the HUD so much, and even the behavior of the Hydra rockets. They used to not be able to fire off to the left or right of the I-bar targeting at all. They'd go up or down, but you had to point your chopper nose on to the target. In C4, they wouldn't steer after firing, but could be fired slightly off bore to start. Also it seemed like even on Easy, there was a huge difficulty spike from Gold to C4.

The main thing I remember from Comanche 3/Comanche Gold though, is ending up going up against the Su-25, NATO designation "Frogfoot," in some missions and having to call for backup from Voodoo Squadron, which, IIRC, was A-10s. A plane would come in fast and you'd hear, "Gonna do a little Voodoo on ya, Froggy," over your radio. That, and I discovered that if I pointed my bird in the direction of the Frogfoot and popped of a Hellfire with no lock, then locked on to the plane, the Hellfire would just track in on the plane instead of its usual tank busting pop-up and streak down behavior that the enemy fixed wing invariably avoided. I liked this a great deal, as it invariably took three stingers to take down a Froggy. So a single Hellfire was a lot more efficient. I think I'll dig out my Comanche Gold disc and install it again. I miss that game.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thank you GOG for getting me back into Neverwinter Nights, another RGP like Baldur's 2 that I would always replay the start and never get much further.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Comanche Gold.

Decided to spend some time and film most of the missions (note: I did it in a sort of speed-runner-ish way, and not a "how a proper pilot would do it way," you can tell because I neglect Hellfire guidelines on this). I hated filming every minute of the Sakhalin Island campaign.
... because Win10 has a bug with Safedisc v2, in that it will NOT load secdrv.sys, so the game wouldn't run otherwise.

This is actually a "feature" rather than a bug.  Windows 10 does not allow SafeDisc or SecuROM to run.  Just one more example of how DRM always hurts the legitimate consumer.  Even before this, though, I would always install a no-CD patch if I could find one just for convenience sake.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2972271/software-games/windows-10-wont-run-some-older-cd-rom-games-thanks-to-drm.html
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Yeah, I found that later due to searching for a fix above and beyond NO-CD. There isn't. And, interestingly enough, I had a harder time getting Comanche Gold to run right. Had to get a patch to run it on Win7, add a registry patch, and use DXGL, which comes up as a virus in 360 Total Security even though it clearly is not, to correct some other issues long enough to get it into 800x600 resolution so that I could use a scaled fullscreen window in DXGL's settings. And I had to turn my AV program off just to add the Comanche Gold exe to DXGL.

EDIT: Can't get fullscreen reliably, but I did get it working windowed. Also found a menu hack that gives me 1024x768 resolution as an option. It also theoretically offered 1280x1024, but that just crashes the game. Also, joystick controls, like the keyboard controls, are hard coded based on a max of 4 axes, four buttons, and a hat switch that can be toggled between modes from an in game menu. You can also toggle mixing rudder with cyclic. I will have to use the logitech profiler to set up controls.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:23:06 am by LaineyBugsDaddy »

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Comanche Gold.

I own copies of Comanche Gold and Comanche 4. Recently reinstalled C4 and discovered that I had to install a No-CD patch because Win10 has a bug with Safedisc v2, in that it will NOT load secdrv.sys, so the game wouldn't run otherwise. One thing I remember about C4 was that it changed the HUD so much, and even the behavior of the Hydra rockets. They used to not be able to fire off to the left or right of the I-bar targeting at all. They'd go up or down, but you had to point your chopper nose on to the target. In C4, they wouldn't steer after firing, but could be fired slightly off bore to start. Also it seemed like even on Easy, there was a huge difficulty spike from Gold to C4.

The main thing I remember from Comanche 3/Comanche Gold though, is ending up going up against the Su-25, NATO designation "Frogfoot," in some missions and having to call for backup from Voodoo Squadron, which, IIRC, was A-10s. A plane would come in fast and you'd hear, "Gonna do a little Voodoo on ya, Froggy," over your radio. That, and I discovered that if I pointed my bird in the direction of the Frogfoot and popped of a Hellfire with no lock, then locked on to the plane, the Hellfire would just track in on the plane instead of its usual tank busting pop-up and streak down behavior that the enemy fixed wing invariably avoided. I liked this a great deal, as it invariably took three stingers to take down a Froggy. So a single Hellfire was a lot more efficient. I think I'll dig out my Comanche Gold disc and install it again. I miss that game.

Yeah, I found that later due to searching for a fix above and beyond NO-CD. There isn't. And, interestingly enough, I had a harder time getting Comanche Gold to run right. Had to get a patch to run it on Win7, add a registry patch, and use DXGL, which comes up as a virus in 360 Total Security even though it clearly is not, to correct some other issues long enough to get it into 800x600 resolution so that I could use a scaled fullscreen window in DXGL's settings. And I had to turn my AV program off just to add the Comanche Gold exe to DXGL.

Were you using Kevin Bax's patch? That is quite possibly the easiest way to go about it. And I admit, CG is somewhat a pain in the ass to use fullscreen (sometimes the movies won't work and such, but everything works perfectly fine windowed).

I will admit, C4 is a hell of a lot harder than CG, you can argue because of the controls and how the helo feels in general, but my main gripe (other than you only get the Comanche in green or black, as opposed to Gold's varied-with-the-terrain colors) is how horrifically they nerfed the AGM-114 Hellfire. For one, there's no Target Hold (a nifty thing that some real-life FLIRs have, so you can lock up 6 targets at a time and do some awesome Ripple Firing, see this video as an example), but also, the default launch angle is way too high. (It's stuck at default LOAL-Hi.)
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Yeah, I used Kevin Bax's patch, but I also needed DXGL regardless. Keep in mind I am using Windows 10.

I never found any way to vary the trajectory of Hellfires in either game except to launch without a lock, then lock on. Great, as I said, for downing a Frogfoot in C3 before Voodoo lead could show up and pop him if I was too much in the open at the time. I forgot about target hold. C3/CG had that for sure, but I don't recall any targeting options other than cycle and nearest on C4 now that you mention it.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've been dabbling a bit with a joystick profile for Privateer 2 (with the unofficial patch), surprisingly low number of buttons and throttle support out of the box! It might be one of the easiest HOTAS profiles I chanced to make yet.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hyper Light Drifter... catching up with my backlog, slowly.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Descent II Vertigo, since I'm making a mission for that, one since The Enemy Within, but uses D1 and Vertigo robots alongside EW robots :)
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So fa Privateer 2 left me a bit unimpressed, the sound is all over the place for some reason, dialogue in FMVs are often hard to understand and the menus have those beeps and bops that hurt my ears, fortunately you can disable them.
Not being able to drive a freighter yourself is kinda frustrating too, you are limited only to fighters.
I did a bit of research on which ship to buy so I'll grind a bit before getting on with the main plot.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, with the highly illegal Mektek packs. Things die /fast/ in this version of the game, compared to MW4 anyway.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, with the highly illegal Mektek packs. Things die /fast/ in this version of the game, compared to MW4 anyway.
chief1983 and I just reinstalled as well. Was thinking about hosting some multiplayer later.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Privateer 2 - The Darkening
The gameplay is a strange mixture of simplistic, dull and frustrating, in a lot of ways it is quite a step back from Wing Commander: Privateer.
I've been grinding like crazy to get enough money to finish the story (which means: best ship, plus best weapons plus best equip and a lot of spare cash because you need it to advance the story it seems).
The only viable way to make money is commerce to and from Crius, all the other parts of the game world are too infested by pirates and various crazy factions.
Even with the best ship often enemy ships keep spawing for AGES, and at that point either you endure half an hour of combat or you end up getting tired, slipping up and get blasted because you cannot hyper out if there are enemy ships at your current navpoint even if they are thousands of kilometers away, WHY?, just WHY!?
Part of the fun of the original was reaching the jump point while escaping from overwhelming odds, here either you fight or you die.
The bullettin board missions are stupidly difficult, either they take place at a ridiculously distant nav point (see above) or they pit you against such overwhelming odds that even with a wingman and a Monolith transport I sincerely doubt one could make it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:25:40 am by Det. Bullock »

chief1983 and I just reinstalled as well. Was thinking about hosting some multiplayer later.

Not sure if I'll ever be able to sync up to play, but let us know how that goes! The options this mod gives you are downright silly, really. Thunder LRMs, Plasma cannons, what the hell is going on here?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
MW itch struck me lately... courtesy of the MW5 'pre-alpha' (I hate that term) which I think was boring. But it was enough to send me to sarna to go 'kid in a candy store' at the Orca / Omega / the superheavy tripods entries... then oh well MW4 time.

Why can't we have awesomesauce over-100T slugfest with ancient railguns and super ultra hyper-advanced yadda yadda yadda nonsense, screw the rules just blow #@!$ up, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!!!111oneoneone

I suck though so it's just a matter of time till this mood swing goes into stasis again, then it's back to Forza or some other game to waste time outside of work and tasks.

(Are HLPers racers? It never feels that way apart from that really unpleasant Stealth debacle years ago...)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Privateer 2 - The Darkening sucks.
The FMV are full of great british actors but the audio mix is often so bad that you cannot unerstand what they say, the gameplay is stupidly semplistic but filled with a ton of annoyances that make it a chore to play, last but not least the impossibility to flee into hyperspace when enemies keep respawning (I've once been stuck on a navpoint for half an hour) or the countless unskippable menu animations.
I've written a wall of text full of grievances against this game in another forum but it's in italian and frankly I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing in english for now.

At least I finished it, I've started Tomb Raider Anniversary in the meantime.