Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 577920 times)

I'm with Grimper on the modding point, I'd really like some gameplay enhancing mods that give everyone more abilities, more blocks and/or more methods of construction since everyone will be on pure survival mode. Granted that I have limited information on modding for Minecraft it will fit my playstyle as well as it's not very different from Grimper.

In the end I hope that whatever happens we gain more advantages than the initial disadvantage of losing the world. I hope the new generation code isn't bad, since i've seen some really impressive and weird landscapes in the current server when exploring that were accidentally generated or a mix and mash of several versions.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Well good landscapes still exist in 1.3...you just have to look a lot harder, or use a mod like this:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827699-mountain-generator-minecraft-125/page__st__80#entry16444170

^ (that one would be entirely server side by the way...but since it's such a large, noticeable change; it definitely needs the go ahead from everyone)
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hmm, I'd actually be willing to consider a terrain generation adjustment mod. Qaz, Kyad, what do you guys think?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Hey, don't forget about me, i might be a shadow moderator, but i still count ;__;
I'm pro-modding, since it really doesn't take much to mod your minecraft, also, like grimper said, mods now have to go SMP because SP now is an emulation of SMP, so they have to go SMP or die.
But yeah, keeping everyone with the right mod to play can be a bit of a PITA, so low number should be important, that is, if qaz ever is ok with mods that aren't bukkit.
Terrain generation, i am ok with this...
Signed, me

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Terrain/biome generation sounds good to me. As long as joining users don't have to do anything to add the mod.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Wait a minute, what's so overpowered about RedPower?  The benefits far outweigh any kind of "balance" issues it might have, considering you get microblocks and a far better redstone wiring system.  Frames are also nifty.
Redpower is overpowered because of computers and a bunch of other things, not to mention computers don't fit with vanilla MC at all. How exactly does steve go from wooden tools to computers in the span of 1 game? x.X
The other problem with redpower is lag, since everything is tile entities, not to mention gigantic moving platform factories. Not gonna work on a server.

Anyway that's the technical reasons, but the personal gripe I have against redpower is that it makes redstoning too easy...takes all the challenge out of it.

You're aware that RedPower is modular and comes in 7 parts, right?  You can easily trim out the computers and frames while retaining stuff like gems, marble, volcanoes, microblocks, etc.  Also, the redpower wiring serves to save space and make certain circuits feasible.  Default redstone takes an absurd amount of space; even a 4-button door password takes a small warehouse to hold.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
a 4 button password door.... i'll hate you for all eternity if anyone ever does that, i think we can get a plug in for passworded doors... also, i don't think adding block types is much of a good idea...
Anyway, i don't think any idea that adds content is gonna fly with this server, concentrate on finding good bukkit plug ins instead.
It seems that upper management doesn't like the idea of having to add stuff to the .jar to be able to play in the server...
Signed, me

Default redstone takes an absurd amount of space; even a 4-button door password takes a small warehouse to hold.

I think mine rates as at least a medium warehouse, though if I had actually thought out the entire layout in advance, it might not have sprawled out or gotten so tangled.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Qaz may not want to set it up, but Kyad and myself may just be ignorant enough to give it a try... if Qaz isn't outright opposed, that is. ;) In other words, if Qaz's opposition to it is having to do it himself, we might give it a try and see how it goes. OTOH, if Qaz doesn't like the idea in general, well... it's still his server.

Totally not touching that crap. No admin I have ever met likes it, and on the OCN server we're removing the End/Nether to put in new worlds just so we don't have to deal with it. This is a big enough red flag for me.

Playtime datadump breh
Code: [Select]
Name Playtime
grimper12341 626:18:11
__JC__ 614:31:11
sandwiched 236:35:18
tommoex 211:39:50
THE_TrashMan 143:18:30
KyadCK 140:51:52
KoalaBrownie 139:40:42
PD_Top_Gun 118:48:12
Hojo_Norem 112:15:33
funtapaz 103:03:46
qazwsxal 70:20:31
Sun_Shadow 56:22:24
HoundofDarkness 52:37:06
corpsepuppet 48:15:42
Orcinus_JW 45:59:45
JumboShrimp9645 45:44:15
polpolion 45:15:36
AxemP 41:53:04
IronBeer 41:51:26
PredThePenguin 41:11:42
The_Paramedic707 38:46:48
TheCloven 35:44:46
Nothing2strange 34:56:08
H3addie 34:22:11
Lixquid 32:57:43
itsbottles 26:32:43
PopKhorne 24:24:34
TheCommanderDJ 24:04:47
rhx123 18:45:40
murakun 10:27:57
ChubiChan 10:20:25
EconDon 9:55:01
faustooctavo 8:52:01
JimmyJordy 7:25:59
A_Veers 7:17:04
bt5 7:11:41
Turambar87 7:10:25
twjoy333 6:21:37
Smoothshaft_MD 5:39:29
Mortofifro 5:19:41
Saratje 5:10:26
handym 4:31:51
WarthogDriver 4:22:09
issmneur 4:09:46
FireSpawn1 3:43:30
hunternclark 3:20:42
LunkerSplunker 3:20:22
AmazingJamesin 3:19:26
ion496 3:04:34
Jogging_Poop 2:41:38
cobra1125 2:38:41
TheEishtmo 2:20:05
Zhareo 2:08:11
DarkRevenantX 2:01:35
gregoss25 1:57:09
alexheartnet 1:53:08
5pl1n73r 1:46:59
DireWolf2000 1:38:48
Sahti_Waari 1:38:32
earmite 1:32:50
Scrumplesplunge 1:24:12
boomboxcrab 1:18:06
Kastra 1:16:05
vrga 1:14:51
DLChade 1:09:20
Slothicus 1:07:56
Moeshi 59:27
MaestroMatt 59:08
jeryko 54:53
Hoodcom 48:09
joofl 43:55
MightyJez 43:33
scorpionez 42:06
RrDdKk 41:15
Retsof 39:52
BlueFlames 27:51
Phraenk 24:23
Gardinator 21:18
Haids 20:35
Masonftw 19:26
zaku460 18:35
PewGemini 18:33
Kotana 16:56
ZekeSulastin 16:51
Zwyciestwo 15:40
Mi0 13:31
focuc4 13:28
SpardaSon21 12:03
Clyde_d_IrishGuy 9:45
milky_tea 9:06
Crudler 8:58
Dutch_Fugue

... How am I still in the #6 spot? And how do I have twice as many hours logged as Qaz?

Or an island with no trees in the middle of a 250002 block ocean

Qaz! They're on to us!

*whole lot of advice*

Yes yes, I'm sure Qaz, sandwich and I can figure it out.  :p  If I have any say (I.E., unless qaz tells me to shut up  :lol: ), mods that require that any client-side modification be installed will not happen. No matter how cool they may be. I am not interested in making a mandatory modpack.

if qaz and the rest of the admins are anything like me they'll tell you that only bukkit mods are appropriate reccomendations, as any other mod requires everyone else connecting to modify their minecraft jar. yes, the infamous magic launcher takes out a lot of pain of that stuff out, but its still there.

Yup.

Hmm, I'd actually be willing to consider a terrain generation adjustment mod. Qaz, Kyad, what do you guys think?

That current terrain is ugly, but that if this mod gets discontinued the chunk lines will be uuuuugly. Also, it isn't bukkit, so it can go die in a fire.

If something nice can be found on bukkit dev then it would be cool.

and what do you expect apart from griefing by drawing atttention to the server?

This I know how to deal with... IF Qaz wishes to advertise and bring in more people, I can help set up mostly non-invasive ways to fix the problem. However, as the server is now is kinda nice. Mostly people from HLP, and the rules are more slack because of it. People can joke around, and usualy arent assholes to eachother.

I deal with a server that at peak hours pulls in 30-40 people a day. I have to be a hardass, and I can't be everyone's friend. Most of the players are noobs or idiots, just like the general internet, and 10 bans a day is the average. Due to these people, Griefing is a one-time and you're gone. Swearing is against the rules, because it isn't just a bunch of buddies who know when each other is joking. I even have to tell regulars on the server who I know are joking around to knock it off because otherwise noobies think it's ok to go calling that person a ****wad for no reason.

Think hard about if you want a lot of players, because things don't run the same after a point.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

For mods I've always liked some of the ones they put in the yogsbox, specifically Mo Creatures, Millenaire, Thaumcraft2 and Better Dungeons.
Yogbox is in the same vein as the technic pack, too big and laggy for a server. The others are good, though thaumcraft might come under the title of technical mod..need to look that one up.

I wasn't advocating using the yogbox, just saying that I enjoy some of the mods from there. Though, my own computer can't handle yogbox so on second thought it's probably best that they're not included.

If I were to advocate any of them I'd say better dungeons. Which would add more adventuring for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
For mods I've always liked some of the ones they put in the yogsbox, specifically Mo Creatures, Millenaire, Thaumcraft2 and Better Dungeons.
Yogbox is in the same vein as the technic pack, too big and laggy for a server. The others are good, though thaumcraft might come under the title of technical mod..need to look that one up.

I wasn't advocating using the yogbox, just saying that I enjoy some of the mods from there. Though, my own computer can't handle yogbox so on second thought it's probably best that they're not included.

If I were to advocate any of them I'd say better dungeons. Which would add more adventuring for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

From above:
mods that require that any client-side modification be installed will not happen. No matter how cool they may be. I am not interested in making a mandatory modpack.

Also, it isn't bukkit, so it can go die in a fire. If something nice can be found on bukkit dev then it would be cool.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
a 4 button password door.... i'll hate you for all eternity if anyone ever does that...
Block-based security doesn't really work in Minecraft, since even obsidian blocks can be bypassed by hand with enough patience. That said, I *did* make a secure and lava-trapped vault using 4x button memory cells and floorplate state data. Largely for the hell of it, since the monstrosity used about 7-8 full stacks of Redstone. Don't think I'll do so again; circuits aren't that hard, but digging out space and making them work is a rancid bastard of a task.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

From above:
mods that require that any client-side modification be installed will not happen. No matter how cool they may be. I am not interested in making a mandatory modpack.

Also, it isn't bukkit, so it can go die in a fire. If something nice can be found on bukkit dev then it would be cool.

Yeah no worries, I replied before I'd read the whole thread. I dunno what bukkit is and what isn't but either way I'm happy with vanilla survival. There's SP for mods if I want it. (unless 1.3 broke it or something)

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
From above:

Yeah no worries, I replied before I'd read the whole thread. I dunno what bukkit is and what isn't but either way I'm happy with vanilla survival. There's SP for mods if I want it. (unless 1.3 broke it or something)

Bukkit is a alternate version of MC server that adds things like a modding API. Things made for Vanilla or Bukkit are not compatable with eachother unless the makes makes a version for each.

Place to find bukkit plugins: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/

Zero guarantee anything will be implemented, blah blah.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Well since we have differing opinions I might start a poll thread or something. In the end of course it's all down to qaz, but a poll will help see what the majority are happy with.

EDIT:
Vote here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81538.0

Background reading:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73227.msg1625010#msg1625010
^ From that post to this post.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:52:39 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken