Author Topic: Complete Primary Weapon Effects - It's good, it's shivan :-))  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Raptor

Complete Primary Weapon Effects - It's good, it's shivan :-))
Lightspeed man, you are one talented man...:nod:Excellent work.

BTW, I'll try and step on the missle production sometime soon, all will be properly UVmapped.;)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
:eek:

Lovely!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Raptor
Lightspeed man, you are one talented man...:nod:Excellent work.

BTW, I'll try and step on the missle production sometime soon, all will be properly UVmapped.;)

I'll make turret and capital ship weaponry first, so I'd be happy if I could start missiles after that :)

On a side note, I think we're running short on screenshots :p
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I was under the impression that the Shivans used only Indian gods (hence Shivans -> Shiva)  Vasudans are Egyptian and Terrans are Greek (yeah Greeks!) with exceptions *cough Ulysses cough*  But the good guys use bad god names too, like the Seth (God of Destruction) the Anubis (God of Death) the Hades (God of the Underworld) the Cerebrus (Hades's evil doggy) and I'm sure I missed some too, just keep with the Indian-Egyptian-Greek thing

GTVA Zorba! LOL
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You haven't been around long Turambar, so I'll let you in on a little secret.  While it usually is possible to get enough actual Greek mythological names to name new stuff according to convention, it becomes increasingly hard to differentiate between ships.  It's an order of magnitude harder with Shivan and Vasudan stuff because the names left are either trivial or impossible to pronounce (Hatshepsut was a stretch for a class name, and :V: decided to use the obvious Ra for the never-used Vasudan escape pod).  When it comes to weapons, none in FS2 follow that convention except for the Prometheus and so naming them whatever you like is fine.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Turambar
But the good guys use bad god names too, like the Seth (God of Destruction) the Anubis (God of Death) the Hades (God of the Underworld) the Cerebrus (Hades's evil doggy) and I'm sure I missed some too, just keep with the Indian-Egyptian-Greek thing  

With the probable exception of the cerberus all of those were actually hostile craft at the time of naming so it makes sense.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mav

SF Scorpion, SF Dragon, SF Basilisk, SD Demon ...   ;)
I really wouldn't take the naming issue too serious, you see...

Oh, and I really like this:
Shivan special issue. This is actually the weapon GTVA tried to replicate when they created the UD-8 Kayser cannon. They failed.

- Considering that the Kayser actually was the most powerful gun the GTVA had in FS2 retail, it sounds just like what was written on the backside of the FS2-box, that all those seemingly innumerable, undefeatable ships in FS1 were just a reconnaissance force ... :D
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Raptor

Lightspeed, clean out your PM box.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by karajorma

With the probable exception of the cerberus all of those were actually hostile craft at the time of naming so it makes sense.

Well, the shivans did reprogram them that one time. (At least I think it was the shivans) and they were hostile...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That was some group of Vasudan (or was it Terran) rogues.  Actually the Cerberus is an upgrade to the Watchdog, so the name makes sense (Cerberus was the "watchdog" of the underworld).  Then again the Hades was I think the official designation, so it does count.  But there doesn't seem to be much attention paid to the good/evil theme overall.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The Greek/Roman underworld wasn't really good or evil, it was just where everybody went when they died.
-C

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Lightspeed
I'll make turret and capital ship weaponry first, so I'd be happy if I could start missiles after that :)

Say, before you start creating warship weapons, can I ask you to look at this?

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/raptorsnest/Warship_Plasmas.xls
(You'll need Excel to open it)

This my attempt to create a sensible range of weapons for arming warships.  It has a range of sizes, 'calibers' i've called then (prefered numbers;) ), and all the weapons stats are derived from the damage of the weapon, with the exception of damage factors. I'm still not happy with the 'shot speed' entry though.

The file above only has Terran FS1 era weapons.  I'm working on the rest:nod:

I do plan to include flak and beams weapons at some point.

Feedback would be nice.
Thanks

Was going to PM this, but since your PM box is full...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Quick sidenote:  How many messages can my PM box hold?  If I transfer messages into other directories, will that act of freeing space in the main folder still prevent message deliveries if I've exceeded the maximum?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Nope, it's a total limit.  So clean out your sent box and probably remove all of the message tracking you've got on.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What IS the limit though?  How many messages can I hold?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'm of the opinion that it's around 50, but I really don't know.  Send yourself PM's until it fills up if you're really curious.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
You guys might find it useful to archive old PMs in .txt format on your own computers - keeping things nice and clean online, you wouldn't have the trouble of full PM boxes that way...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I think I wont change any actual cap ship weapons.

I'll simply change the looks.

While the turret lasers are pretty useless, changing them would change the whole game balance.

I'll maybe add a shivan weapon or two (at least a shivan flak) and that's it, stats wise.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I don't know about any of you  guys (Actually, I suppose I'm an extreme minority here, for more than one reason) but I personally would have liked the laser pulses to do more for the missions. I see the 158th screenshots, with nothing but loads of plasma discharges all over the place, and I've played FS2 with Sandwich's capship turret upgrade mod, and that's the effect I've always liked. Beams get so overdone by the community. Certain campaigns *cough* had so many beams and the like, that player participation was almost completely not needed. What happened to the good old days of  bombing runs where you'd dodge pulse after pulse?  Now it's 'fly within 1500 metres and get smacked no matter what'. :doubt:

Ok, Rant over.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I agree 100% with you there Raa.

However, changing the whole system FS2 works would be kind of a total conversion - and i'm going for an effect upgrade here (for now).