Author Topic: Cain strikes back - WIP  (Read 105850 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Cain strikes back - WIP
If that's the case, why not have a model which is correct according to the original that you can instead add an extra turret with PCS2? That method actually makes sense...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I have to say, I'm with Snail here. I don't like the girders at all. :\

Just a note: You people do know that the GTCv Deimos has two of its broadside turrets moved further back compared to the retail model right?
Yes, but they weren't moved far back, only about 20 metres back. The length of how far they would be moved on the Cain would be much greater, probably ~100 metres.

Do you still have the old model? I'm sure some people here would much prefer that version
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:14:59 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Because adding turrets isn't as simple as deleting one.
Re-orientating the turret model can't be done in PCS2 if you say, duplicate a turret. Adding a turret requires exporting as a DAE, going into whatever modelling program, adding a turret, rexporting to DAE, and converting back to a POF if you don't have the source model (or if the source model is not in a format you can open with the modelling program you have).

If there is a demand for a model with extra turrets (or if the creator just wants to), it's less work for everyone just to have an extra turret there which will be deleted for the MVPs version.

Therefore, it is less work to delete a turret than to add one. So let's not go into debates about extra turrets. People should just shut up and stop complaining about them because THEY AREN'T A PROBLEM UNLESS YOU MAKE THEM ONE YOURSELF.

If the FSU people are really too busy to even do something like deleting turrets in PCS2, then I'll do it >.>

But right, back to the model. The girders are...iffy. Especially the ones on the bottom. Drop them and replace them with something closer to the texture on the original.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:33:06 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the turrets, it's just the FSU guys who may or may not have an issue with it (Snail did not start the flamewar).

That said, I don't think the girders fit. There isnt a single Shivan ship in retail or otherwise that has any girder detail anywhere. You'd think if they wanted girders they'd at least have it on the textures.

Offline Hades

That said, I don't think the girders fit. There isnt a single Shivan ship in retail or otherwise that has any girder detail anywhere. You'd think if they wanted girders they'd at least have it on the textures.
I couldn't agree more, the girders just look out of place and just doesn't feel Shivan at all.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:15:25 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
again.. replace them with ribs like the ones the rakshasa will have! ;7
el hombre vicio...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Very nice. I actually like the girders, it helps to break up the large red sections. Perhaps changing the shape of the girders from rectangular to triangular would help appease the dissenters and give it more of Shivan look. Make them look more like a spiky support strut than a girder.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I couldn't agree more, the girders just look out of place and just doesn't feel Shivan to me.
Again, Ravana and Demon. Girders. They have them.

Offline Hades

I couldn't agree more, the girders just look out of place and just doesn't feel Shivan to me.
Again, Ravana and Demon. Girders. They have them.
The retail Ravana doesn't have girders, and the high-poly one is not canon so you can't use it in the argument. :P

The Demon's "girders" don't really look like girders at all, to be honest. They look more like plates of armour.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:15:46 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The girders on the Ravana are acceptable because they're used in moderation.
Spamming them everywhere is kinda...bad...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I agree. Maybe because there is just too much red. I also think the girder look takes away from the organic look which it has in the concept art.

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
For those who dislike girder look at texture that fills part where red paint is. This texture had something similar but less scaled more regular and complexed. Girder is a skeleton for Cain which is quite light cruiser, some parts (like aft) are covered by armour some just don't.

I will work at those on bottom to be less regular.

Offline Kolgena

I'm another girder-hater (sorry). There are plenty of good things happening here, but girders ain't one of 'em.

Um, another small thing: I remember people discussing a previous cain/lilith model that had less recessed missile turrets. They mentioned how part of the strength of these missile turrets was that it was nigh impossible to hit them outside a rather narrow cone, or from long range if the cruiser is moving. As your model stands, it looks like the missile turrets aren't going to be recessed in as small a depression, which makes them tons easier to hit. That would be a bigger mission breaker than a moved blob turret, I imagine.

Even if that isn't actually true, I'm still questioning the shape of those "eyes". They look nice stylistically, but I'm having an internal conflict between "this isn't very canon at all" and "this looks actually pretty decent".

Offline Snail

• SC 5
For those who dislike girder look at texture that fills part where red paint is. This texture had something similar but less scaled more regular and complexed. Girder is a skeleton for Cain which is quite light cruiser, some parts (like aft) are covered by armour some just don't.

I will work at those on bottom to be less regular.
The Shivans don't build their ships with girders...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

I agree. Maybe because there is just too much red. I also think the girder look takes away from the organic look which it has in the concept art.
It also look like a giant utility drone in the concept art. :P
I see tubes in areas that aren't covered by plating, use a tube texture on the areas where there would be girders then.

If that doesn't shut everyone up, just go with what you have anyway. :P

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
The Shivans don't build their ships with girders...

... they grow on the trees :P

Or maybe not if you saw one in build, give us some photos.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:doubt:

I'm just saying all these girders are very uncreative and somewhat detract from the character of the ship and the Shivans themselves.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:33:45 am by Snail »

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
That is your opinion mine is else  - triangle grides placed in chaotic order are in some way organic and cybernetic.  Also shape that they creates (with other sharp objects like claws and arms) describe aggressive nature of Shivan

Offline Hades

Not really, girders aren't Shivan at all. They make them look as if they are weak, and uncompleted. The girders themselves look more Terran than they will ever look Shivan. The retail texture looks much better and no canon Shivan ship has girders on the texture...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:17:45 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe a more irregular, scaled effect would do well?