Author Topic: The Big Bad HLP Sex and Dating Thread  (Read 34648 times)

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
The Big Bad HLP Sex and Dating Thread
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
Damn, is that why all the girls ignore me? Or is it because I'm a nerd?

Yes:p
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Grey Wolf

Damn, that sucks.....
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Borealis

• Resident Blonde
Originally posted by an0n
*decides the thread is pointless and tries to tear it down*
*remembers he doesn't have mod or admin powers*
*puts thread to good use*
*hits on Borealis*

How you doin'? :nod:

[color=sky blue]much as I love a good Joey Tribiani impression, today is just not a good day to hit on Borealis. :(

Thanks for the laugh though, I needed it.[/color]
:nod:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 02:27:04 pm by 818 »
In God we trust.  All others must show data.

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
And Shrike said TaS was a spam, at least it was a funny, creative, and sad spam. This is just pathetic.
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
edited by me
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 02:44:14 pm by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
I have war flashbacks a lot, even though i aint been in any wars, suddenly in class i'll start shooting and things while screaming "Get DOWN!". I also have delusions of telekenisis and try to move objects with my mind. Im considered insane .

woa. I'm not the only one!

Poor Borealis... bad days suck, especially when an0n is  hittin' on you. We all know how you feel.

dayum, i go to bed for 8 - 10 hours..... wake up... 80 more posts to the thread.....

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
DAMNIT, lousy Double posting......

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
Yes, but then the experiential bias kicks in, especially for a subject like this, which will very likely influence a human's thinking in a certain direction (this becomes an issue while forming logic statements). Also, what you are saying about experimentation is completely wrong as well, since experimentation is just a form of theory at its very core (yes, ask any philosopher about this); in other words, there is no "sure way" of knowing something, and if all the variables are taken into account the two are going to be exactly the same anyway. Theory can live without experiment (mathematics) but experiment is meaningless without theory. Also, I can give you fifty other theories that have worked out almost perfectly in practice.

The thing here is, with direct experimentation you have the closest thing you can get to real information when it comes to human thinking processes and, like it or not, what's going in your mind to drive your logic/scientific reasoning is a human thinking process. There is no such thing as purely theoretical analysis, for it would be - at it's to be expected - meaningless. There is a far larger number of complex and elaborate theories being proven wrong everyday by experimentation than theories that are proven right by it, and this (unfortunately for you) falls on the first category. Or you're trying to say that you'll believe a mathematical model over an experimented fact if both are conflicting? :doubt:

Once again, the theory, which in turn is based on induction. Think holistically and view the universe as one unit rather than a group of discrete units.

You're applying induction to a problem where it cannot be applied. There are too many factors, and a better way to relate this would be the state machine stopping problem. It cannot be solved until the final computation is reached, and then the problem will be over. If you still want to try to prove that mankind will evolve, go ahead, it'll be a good laugh. ;)

Ah! Therefore, your passion for sex is just your way of venting mathematical frustration, as is your overly argumentative attitude towards such subjects. You may not even realize it, but it's the truth. Live with it.

I love the way these assertive statements can be turned around... (actually, I happen to like arguing, but apparently so do you, so that's good)

In fact, that little trick o' yours doesn't apply here. Do some research on the field or biologies and psychology and you'll notice that it is proven that the human being as it is today is completely hardwired - physically and mentally - to the act of reproduction. Despite any dreams you might have, you're still a human being and, as such, are hardwired to such thoughts. Mathematical reasoning is not inherent of the human being - not yet, at least - so your reversion doesn't work. Think harder next time. ;)

That is not exactly true. As I have said many times here already, this is only the case in the current cultural paradigm; previous ones did not have the same characteristic. Anyway, just "remove the wiring" and instead plug in new wiring.

That is all fine, except for the fact that you are still hardwired and, as such, your own thought process is linked to it. There's no escaping - at least not for you. :D :p

About 200 years ago. Sex was still a part of human affairs but a side thing; nothing even close to what it has become today. And yes, I do assume exactly that, because there is no evidence to the contrary and other theories are favorable, so this is what the induction procedure suggests.

Nope, there wasn't anything even close to a paradigm shift. Think like this: increasing the clock frequency of a processor is not a paradigm shift, you're just changing its performance inside the same paradigm. The same applies to the example you provided: human reproduction followed the exact same paradigm throughout all human history (being sex-driven), and there is not a single evidence supporting your claims that a paradigm shift is possible. Unless you try to derive that, since other processes can suffer paradigm shifts any process can suffer them, your reasoning loses all meaning. ;)

That only holds when when very little information about the problem is known or more specifically, that it is a decidedly indeterminate question. I would like to see you prove that performing truly random actions has a higher probability of success than following a theorized algorithm, mathematically speaking. Secondly, how does diversity imply a probabilistic system? Just because it looks more complicated to us does not make it any less deterministic than a uniform approach.

Nope, non-deterministic approaches are as good as, or better, than deterministic approaches for any problem. What you seem to think is that non-deterministic approaches are limited to the "random guessing" way. They're not - a non deterministic approach is any that considers multiple - if not all - paths to the solution of a problem. Look a bit into computing theories and you'll see what I'm talking about.

10 sub-argument wins; I consider it a victory when the other guy either comes back but does not respond to that sub-argument refutation or does not come back at all for a while. (or concedes defeat, but that almost never happens for obvious reasons) Let us find out if I can add any more to that.

Hah, so you're counting eh? I'm just here to bug you, that's what they pay me for. :D

Like I said before, anyone can be quickly tricked into thinking they like math, even with our current knowledge, and they would thus derive pleasure from it anyway, so it works out even if happiness is taken as an objective.

Hm, tell me the process of tricking someone into liking math then. I want to use it for... well, other purposes. ;)

You are looking at the short-term effects of the whole issue rather than taking things from a universal perspective. Let us assume a hypothetical situation: suppose that humans have minimal contact with the rest of the Earth's ecosystem, and everything that goes into a human (food, air, etc.) is thoroughly screened by atomic-precision computers before allowing it in. Also, in the event that something fails, a bacterium gets in and a guy gets sick, he is quarantined from the rest of the population. Of course, the chance of everyone dying out still exists, but it is much lower than a completely "natural" situation. Anyway, what I had in mind for this problem was that the cloning system culd periodically change certain parts of its genetic structure (unimportant stuff that is not directly related to cognitive processes) to have the viruses keep following in a perpetual "evolutionary race." (when they adapt to the new system, change it again) Also, if what you are saying about uniform genes is that big of deal, most animal species on this planet would not exist, seeing as the human attributes a far, far greater genetic diversity than any of those, and even the human falls to micro-organisms.

Heh, the problem with your idea there is, you won't be improving the process by any marging - you'll only be spending time and resources to replicate a process that is already proven effective, just because you (claim that you) don't like it. I can't see the logic in that, and if you look at it closer you'll realize that too. ;)

Your irrational fear of sex would drive you to work great lengths to eliminate it, with no actual gains. That's sounds pretty emotional to me. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 05:58:39 pm by 13 »
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
*Agrees with Mr. Sticks all the way*
~Delta

*crazy idea*
Women should be genetically engineered to be atlleast reasonably (for some variety) attractive.

Men however don't matter.  Since the less attractive ones generally have more intresting personalities.  Unlike women.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The thing here is, with direct experimentation you have the closest thing you can get to real information when it comes to human thinking processes and, like it or not, what's going in your mind to drive your logic/scientific reasoning is a human thinking process. There is no such thing as purely theoretical analysis, for it would be - at it's to be expected - meaningless. There is a far larger number of complex and elaborate theories being proven wrong everyday by experimentation, and this won't be any exception. Or you're trying to say that you'll believe a mathematical model over an experimented fact if both are conflicting?

Not if the theory takes all variables into account (the fact that they might be infinite is no real hinderance here since there are indirect methods); in that case, the two will be the same. Although deduction is a human thinking process, the important part is that different humans think differently in other ways, but reach the same conclusion by reasoning methods given the appropriate assumptions and data, and thus it is the most objective system of thought around. On the topic of the ratio of correct to incorrect theories, I concede that you are right, but for a different reason I just thought of. Also, your statement about purely theoretical analysis is one of the funnier things I have heard in this thread; tell that to a number theorist and see how many blows you recieve. :D

You're applying induction to a problem where it cannot be applied. There are too many factors, and a better way to relate this would be the state machine stopping problem. It cannot be solved until the final computation is reached, and then the problem will be over. If you still want to try to prove that mankind will evolve, go ahead, it'll be a good laugh.

Who said anything about physical evolution? That will only occur if the society comes to a complete standstill somehow, but the chances of that are too low to bother about at the moment. I am actually not trying to prove the certainty of anything, but rather stating the most likely possibility given the evidence.

In fact, that little trick o' yours doesn't apply here. Do some research on the field or biologies and psychology and you'll notice that it is proven that the human being as it is today is completely hardwired - physically and mentally - to the act of reproduction. Despite any dreams you might have, you're still a human being and, as such, are hardwired to such thoughts. Mathematical reasoning is not inherent of the human being - not yet, at least - so your reversion doesn't work. Think harder next time.

You keep talking of the human "as it is today," and that is the critical part; we are not interested in the human of today, but the human of tomorrow. There is no definite way to define a human in the sense that we are talking about; suppose someone finds a way of replacing a human brain with a computer while keeping all other parts the same (this will probably only happen after everything else has been replaced, but let's just imagine for the sake of argument). The guy still has lots of human characteristic and thus some would say is still a human, but he no longer needs to have this intuitive feeling. And actually, some part of mathematical reasoning (namely, inductive reasoning, and the ability to find patterns in observed events) must indeed inherent in the human being and in anything else out there, because if it were not so, a contradiction would come up when you think of how the human discovered or invented logic. I am of course a human being of this era, so this will not affect me at all, but who cares about that? :p

That is all fine, except for the fact that you are still hardwired and, as such, your own thought process is linked to it. There's no escaping - at least not for you.

Sure, obviously there is no escaping it for me, but as I said before, that is of really no importance here.

Nope, there wasn't anything even close to a paradigm shift. Think like this: increasing the clock frequency of a processor is not a paradigm shift, you're just changing its performance inside the same paradigm. The same applies to the example you provided: human reproduction followed the exact same paradigm throughout all human history (being sex-driven), and there is not a single evidence supporting your claims that a paradigm shift is possible. Unless you try to derive that, since other processes can suffer paradigm shifts any process can suffer them, your reasoning loses all meaning.

Read my post again. I am not talking about sex used as a means for reproduction - that will go on for a while longer, but even it will come to an end - but rather sex being a part of the mainstream culture. That is certainly something that has become far, far more apparent in the last 20 or 30 years. Regarding the inductive reasoning, let us pretend that we were shifted back in time about a hundred years ago. Man has never gone into space so far in human history. Therefore, following your reasoning, that means that he will never get into space in the future either. Problem solved! :D And I do have some evidence for the paradigm shift obtained from extrapolation of current trends and sociological principles.

Nope, non-deterministic approaches are as good as, or better, than deterministic approaches for any problem. What you seem to think is that non-deterministic approaches are limited to the "random guessing" way. They're not - a non deterministic approach is any that considers multiple - if not all - paths to the solution of a problem. Look a bit into computing theories and you'll see what I'm talking about.

In other words, that "non-deterministic" approach is actually just as deterministic as the "determinstic" one when there are a finite number of paths, and when the number of paths is transfinite or infinite, it becomes cardinally equivalent to random guessing. :p  I will admit that I know almost nothing about these computing theories, but this is pretty easy to show from the logic assumptions. Anyway, what you are trying to say is that the entire concept of the scientific theory is meaningless, the converse of which is derived from straight from a logic assumption, so I will not argue on that point. Although it looks like we have another nihilist around here. :D

Hah, so you're counting eh? I'm just here to bug you, that's what they pay me for.

Good, let us keep it going then. :D

Hm, tell me the process of tricking someone into liking math then. I want to use it for... well, other purposes. ;)

The Goebbels technique: keep repeating into a person that math is the king of all knowledge and force him into doing math all the time, and he will like it after a while. :D

Heh, the problem with your idea there is, you won't be improving the process by any marging - you'll only be spending time and resources to replicate a process that is already proven effective, just because you (claim that you) don't like it. I can't see the logic in that, and if you look at it closer you'll realize that too.

Actually, I already listed the benefits a number of times. "Effective" does not mean that it cannot be improved further.

Your irrational fear of sex would drive you to work great lengths to eliminate it, with no actual gains. That's sounds pretty emotional to me.

Recall that I am not preaching about what people should do, since the concept of "should" is pretty silly in the first place, so I couldn't care less what the world does. :D Rather, I am saying what I think has the highest probability of occuring over time if all current trends keep progressing the way they are now. Heck, I think the concepts of fun and leisure will probably fade away as well. (or rather, there will be no difference between things that are fun and those that are not fun) Intuitively thinking, I do not like that, but I could probably be easily made to think that I do actually like it, so that wouldn't mean much. You are bringing a social issue to a personal scale and using that for an argument for the third time; I would point you to the analogy of the biological cells I have stated before. :D

Anyway, keep those replies coming.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 06:02:21 pm by 296 »

Offline CODEDOG ND

• Dark Agent
Originally posted by delta_7890

Wow...  And all of these people engaged in safe sex?  Now I'm not trying to be offensive, but it's my experience that the most reliable method of safe sex, using a condom, is pretty hard to mess up so long as you know what you're doing.  Too many people don't bother to read instructions on the boxes, or haven't had the opportunity to learn how to use them from school or another educational method.  As silly as it sounds, you can screw up a condom.  I don't mean to pass the blame on to these people, but at the same time, I find it hard to believe that each and every one of them used prevention methods correctly and still managed to concieve children.

One at the most did not use your "safe sex", even though that is not the term I'd use.  And not using properly.  I'm not going to ask that, so I dunno.
It's a fact.  Stupid people have stupid children.  If you are stupid, don't have sex.  If you insist on having sex.  Have sex with animals.  If you have sex with an animal.  Make sure the animal is smarter than you are.  Just encase of some biological fluke you and the animal have offspring, they won't be as stupid as you are.   One more thing.  Don't assume the animal is protected.  If the animal has a condom, or if female some interuterian device, insist they wear it.  Help stop this mindless mindlessness.  Keep your stupidty to yourself.  This message was brought to you by the Committee of Concerned Citizens that are Smarter than You are.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Not if the theory takes all variables into account (the fact that they might be infinite is no real hinderance here since there are indirect methods); in that case, the two will be the same. Although deduction is a human thinking process, the important part is that different humans think differently in other ways, but reach the same conclusion by reasoning methods given the appropriate assumptions and data, and thus it is the most objective system of thought around. On the topic of the ratio of correct to incorrect theories, I concede that you are right, but for a different reason I just thought of. Also, your statement about purely theoretical analysis is one of the funnier things I have heard in this thread; tell that to a number theorist and see how many blows you recieve.

Hm, you're still thinking about a purely mathematical non-deterministic approach. You should think in terms of state machines (to point one of the simplest examples), or any construct that is able to model real events. Abstract mathematics don't have that capability. :p

About the theorists, well, I'm sure they'd get mad - I'd be pointing to them the very fundamental flaw of their reasoning, and the truth often hurts. It would be like trying to argue that God doesn't exist with a fervorous priest.

Who said anything about physical evolution? That will only occur if the society comes to a complete standstill somehow, but the chances of that are too low to bother about at the moment. I am actually not trying to prove the certainty of anything, but rather stating the most likely possibility given the evidence.

Well, then yes - the most likely possibility is that society will indeed evolve. It is your own personal opinion, though, that it will "ban" (or lose interest) in such things as leisure (and sex, on the topic). You don't have anything to work on except your own conjectures about cloning - that must be, from your posts, heavily biased by the current outburst in cloning research.

You keep talking of the human "as it is today," and that is the critical part; we are not interested in the human of today, but the human of tomorrow. There is no definite way to define a human in the sense that we are talking about; suppose someone finds a way of replacing a human brain with a computer while keeping all other parts the same (this will probably only happen after everything else has been replaced, but let's just imagine for the sake of argument). The guy still has lots of human characteristic and thus some would say is still a human, but he no longer needs to have this intuitive feeling. And actually, some part of mathematical reasoning (namely, inductive reasoning, and the ability to find patterns in observed events) must indeed inherent in the human being and in anything else out there, because if it were not so, a contradiction would come up when you think of how the human discovered or invented logic. I am of course a human being of this era, so this will not affect me at all, but who cares about that?

Well, we all care about that. There is no way of predicting the human being of tomorrow with our current knowledge. In fact, most attempts at future predictions done up to now were proven to be complete (or almost complete) failures. Your thoughts are just as those of the "futurologists" (damn, I find it hard not to laugh when thinking of that) from the beginning of the century about cities crowded with flying cars and covered in electrical power transmission lines. As I said before (on another thread) you'll only be able to predict that with a perfect or quasi-perfect model, and the only perfect model is the system being observed itself - therefore, there is indeed no way of making accurate (or even reasonable, as it was observed) predictions. Not with our current knowledge.

Sure, obviously there is no escaping it for me, but as I said before, that is of really no importance here.

Well, that IS of importance because your own thoughts are clouded by this. You cannot escape this hardwiring, and it drives your very ideas. As I said before, this whole argument may just be your way of venting your "sexual drive". You certainly have no way of knowing it. ;)

Read my post again. I am not talking about sex used as a means for reproduction - that will go on for a while longer, but even it will come to an end - but rather sex being a part of the mainstream culture. That is certainly something that has become far, far more apparent in the last 20 or 30 years. Regarding the inductive reasoning, let us pretend that we were shifted back in time about a hundred years ago. Man has never gone into space so far in human history. Therefore, following your reasoning, that means that he will never get into space in the future either. Problem solved!
Failed analogy. One hundred years ago, would you know that mankind would go into space?

And I do have some evidence for the paradigm shift obtained from extrapolation of current trends and sociological principles.

That still doesn't constitute a change of paradigm - it's just a change on the degree of importance of a subject. You're still wrong though, because even though it may not seem that sex was such an important subject 100 years ago, it was - just on a different level. Apply your own logic here - if every cell of an organism has its own will to move towards a certain direction, the organism will follow. And it was a very important issue to everyone, as much (if not more) than it is today. Taboos tend to attract people's attention, so I'm pretty confident of the second option. What do you think was the real reason behind Napoleon's campaign? ;7

In other words, that "non-deterministic" approach is actually just as deterministic as the "determinstic" one when there are a finite number of paths, and when the number of paths is transfinite or infinite, it becomes cardinally equivalent to random guessing. I will admit that I know almost nothing about these computing theories, but this is pretty easy to show from the logic assumptions. Anyway, what you are trying to say is that the entire concept of the scientific theory is meaningless, the converse of which is derived from straight from a logic assumption, so I will not argue on that point. Although it looks like we have another nihilist around here.

I'd point you to a good book, if it was in english. I only have books in portuguese, so you'll have to research by yourself. And no, I'm not saying that the entire concept of scientific theory is meaningless. I'm saying that it's valid, as long ast it's based on perception - something you seem to ignore. As far as I'm concerned, any perception outweigths any model in regards to a determined system. Think this way: you read a scientific description of what pain is. You think you know what pain is. Then you get stabbed in the hand. Now you really know what pain is. ;)

The Goebbels technique: keep repeating into a person that math is the king of all knowledge and force him into doing math all the time, and he will like it after a while.

Pfft, you're saying that you can make the person tolerate something. Ask any slave if they actually enjoy working all day, eating only what's needed to survive and being beaten almost to death for any "strange" behaviour.

Actually, I already listed the benefits a number of times. "Effective" does not mean that it cannot be improved further.

Yes, it can be improved - but it's far easier to improve over the current model than to try to rework a whole new model for it. You're just dazzled by all the research on cloning that's popping everywhere right now (as is almost everyone else).

Recall that I am not preaching about what people should do, since the concept of "should" is pretty silly in the first place, so I couldn't care less what the world does. :D Rather, I am saying what I think has the highest probability of occuring over time if all current trends keep progressing the way they are now. Heck, I think the concepts of fun and leisure will probably fade away as well. (or rather, there will be no difference between things that are fun and those that are not fun) Intuitively thinking, I do not like that, but I could probably be easily made to think that I do actually like it, so that wouldn't mean much. You are bringing a social issue to a personal scale and using that for an argument for the third time; I would point you to the analogy of the biological cells I have stated before.

The key word here is "think". What you think it's gonna be. You have as much ground for predictions as anyone else here. In fact, a straight-to-the-point analysis of current western society will show that leisure activities will take more and more of a persons time as the basic production and work systems are automated. People seek to increase and improve their leisure time (and I speak of "people" as in "the whole society") and, if the current trend continues, we'll reach a point where we won't do anything besides "have fun". It's you that's failing to see that, trying to mask facts with a personal view. As I said earlier on this post, your own logic shows that the organism (the society, in this case) will move that way. You fail to realize that the vast majority of people doesn't think the way you do (or claim to), and therefore generalizing your own ideals as the whole society's trend won't work.

Good, let us keep it going then. :D

See, this proves my previous point. Every single person in this planet wants to have fun, each on his/her own way. Arguing like this is the way you have fun. Messing with you is the way I have fun (among several other things, of course, many of which take precedence). :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 06:42:20 pm by 13 »
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Poor Borealis... bad days suck, especially when an0n is  hittin' on you. We all know how you feel.

*put on robes and collar*
*winks at Virtu, Alikchi and Joey*

Don't ask.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Borealis

[color=sky blue]*cuts through testosterone fumes with a serrated machete*

:mad:  NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!   :mad:    

All of you LEARN this once and for ****ing all!!!!

ONLY women with low self-esteem chase arrogant assholes who repeatedly remind them of how they are an assemblage of orifices and nothing more.

you observe this behavior all too often because unfortunately most women are deficient in self-esteem....

you want one of these defective women?...go ahead then, act like a dickhead and they'll follow you everywhere

you pull that crap with a high-calibre woman and she will drop your ass so fast it will make your head spin.

A woman with justifiable self-confidence is a rare find indeed.  If you are lucky enough to find one, let her know it in as many ways as you can.  Feigning apathy will get you your walking papers everytime.[/color]
:doh:

[color=sky blue]Edit: Maeglamor, I used your quote but you are not the person who inspired this.  I have no quarrel with you. :)[/color]

I'm glad someone decided to address this :)
I have to admit I should probably have worded that post a little more carefully or perhaps given a little more detail.

When I said that 'Most women like to go out with jerks' I should actually have wrote 'a lot of women find jerks attractive'.
Jerks by their very nature see women as sex objects and only oblige a female's wishes if they know it will get them somewhere, the rest of the time they do whatever they want. This is often misconstrued as spontaineity, spontainious people are generally interesting or fun to be around. This lack of respect is also seen as non conformist or exciting.
Practically all women eventually take other factors into consideration later in life (late 20's early 30's generally) factors like dependability and suitability as a father figure. The problem is that people are at their sexual peak in their late teens to early twenties and do most of their socialising at this time.

Nice guys are seen as over eager, they are also victim of low self esteem 'if I don't do everything in my power to please this girl she'll drop me'. Someone who agrees with you all the time can become boring or agitating.
Another factor that makes nice guys act in this way is the media. Perfect relationships are fairly commonplace in films today, two people meet, he does everything he can to woo her, she does the same and it all works out in the end. This is often compounded by the fact that most of these perfect relationships happen over an extremely short timeframe usually days or weeks.

The media is probably the single greatest enemy of relationships. It increasingly blurs the line between reality and romantic fantasy to the point where people enter into relationships with unrealistic notions of what their partner should be like. I am a big fan of optimism, I love the idea of soulmates or love at first sight but any realistic person will agree that these are exceptionally rare occurances and to expect such a thing from every relationship is ludocris.

BTW Borealis I feel the need to apologise, in reading over my previous post I realised that it was fairly sexist in tone. I was in a cynical mood when I wrote it. Also don't be afraid to state your own views, if you think I'm wrong, say why. Everyone is entitled to their opinion :nod: .

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Goebbels technique: keep repeating into a person that math is the king of all knowledge and force him into doing math all the time, and he will like it after a while.

I believe the Russians did this, though they had a different name for it - Psychologial Torture (And to the cruelest possible outcome - Maths! :eek:)

Over time, if newer systems become more mainstream and the survival is no longer dependant on a particular system, the thoughts of the people will also change to reflect that. Same reason why animals have slightly different instincts than we do. (where do you think morals came from?)

Thoughts change, basic animal instincts don't. 3 billion years of Evolution has left a single goal ingrained into the deepest part of every organism on the planet, reproduce. For humans, and all other sexually reproducing animals, that means "go have sex". Do you honestly think that 3 billion years of evolution can just be pushed aside because something new comes along? It's a part of the Freudian Id, and the Id is unalterable by higher levels of the brain, merely suppressble (to a point). Sex will never die, or even be pushed into the background. It will remain, for the entire existence of the human race, the best and primary way to reproduce.

About 200 years ago. Sex was still a part of human affairs but a side thing; nothing even close to what it has become today.

That's simply not true I'm afraid, it's just that you don't live in the times, so you don't recognize it. 200 years ago, rape was as if not more common than it is today, and sex was still a major part of the human mindset. It just wasn't openly discussed. Do you really think that blokes 200 years ago didn't go home and have sex with their wives at least 3 or 4 times a week Of course they did...

Also, you're only talking about Western societies stance on sex, and not the far more open societies in other parts of the world.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm back! :D

Hm, you're still thinking about a purely mathematical non-deterministic approach. You should think in terms of state machines (to point one of the simplest examples), or any construct that is able to model real events. Abstract mathematics don't have that capability.

Uh, yes it does. Even some of the most abtruse mathematics is finding applications in areas like cryptography and quantum theory; there is no clear line between abstract and applied mathematics. Any of the various branches of mathematics can model real-world events if necessary. :p

About the theorists, well, I'm sure they'd get mad - I'd be pointing to them the very fundamental flaw of their reasoning, and the truth often hurts. It would be like trying to argue that God doesn't exist with a fervorous priest.

So now you are telling me that the whole of number theory is meaningless, along with many other areas of abstract mathematics; I am beginning to wonder whether or not you are worth dealing with. :p Also, if you have the patience and are good enough with arguing, you could debate for a while with this "fervorous priest" for a long time and at some point reach a logical contradiction; he will refuse to accept it of course and either get hung up on small points to mask the loss or start throwing insults, but it will be pretty obvious to both of you who won that.

Well, then yes - the most likely possibility is that society will indeed evolve. It is your own personal opinion, though, that it will "ban" (or lose interest) in such things as leisure (and sex, on the topic). You don't have anything to work on except your own conjectures about cloning - that must be, from your posts, heavily biased by the current outburst in cloning research.

What current outburst in cloning research? It has actually been going quite slowly recently, and besides, when you take the entire period of human existence into account (which can in theory last for trillions of years), it does not seem all that far-fetched anymore to talk about any technological advance given the timeframe.

Well, we all care about that. There is no way of predicting the human being of tomorrow with our current knowledge. In fact, most attempts at future predictions done up to now were proven to be complete (or almost complete) failures. Your thoughts are just as those of the "futurologists" (damn, I find it hard not to laugh when thinking of that) from the beginning of the century about cities crowded with flying cars and covered in electrical power transmission lines. As I said before (on another thread) you'll only be able to predict that with a perfect or quasi-perfect model, and the only perfect model is the system being observed itself - therefore, there is indeed no way of making accurate (or even reasonable, as it was observed) predictions. Not with our current knowledge.

The last statement there is critical. You are assuming that our knowledge will stay mostly the same over great periods of time in the future, and I am not quite sure what you are basing that on, seeing as just about every simple analysis of past events is pointing in the opposite direction. Like I said, these "futurologist" predictions will probably come to be true at some point as long as society does not degenerate, because the full period of human existence is quite long. Notice I have not given a very definite timeframe for my predictions, which I myself am not sure about. (500 years sounds reasonable but it could well be much longer) Are you trying to say that society will stay at its current system for the rest of humanity's existence? :p Lastly, how is the only perfect model the observation itself? As I said earlier, a complete theory is equal to the observation. Think theoretically rather than practically, as the practical view usually disregards the extremely important concept of infinite processes that are crucial to this.

Well, that IS of importance because your own thoughts are clouded by this. You cannot escape this hardwiring, and it drives your very ideas. As I said before, this whole argument may just be your way of venting your "sexual drive". You certainly have no way of knowing it.

True enough, but as long as I can give logical evidence there it would not really make any difference either way. There are probably people today without this "hardwiring" (genetic flukes or otherwise), so if they or, say, a computer accepts the conclusion as likely, then I do not see how that would matter at all.

That still doesn't constitute a change of paradigm - it's just a change on the degree of importance of a subject. You're still wrong though, because even though it may not seem that sex was such an important subject 100 years ago, it was - just on a different level. Apply your own logic here - if every cell of an organism has its own will to move towards a certain direction, the organism will follow. And it was a very important issue to everyone, as much (if not more) than it is today. Taboos tend to attract people's attention, so I'm pretty confident of the second option. What do you think was the real reason behind Napoleon's campaign?

For the second time, I am not talking about how important the people thought it was to the civilization on a purely logical level, but how intimately it was tied in with the other aspects of society. Today, more of the popular culture is based around sex than anything else out there, and as any historian would tell you, that certainly could not be said of things a couple hundred years ago. And for the will part, every human in existence today by no means needs to "want" to cohese into larger units; all that matters is that some of them do. We then reach the point where we have one relatively large unit competing against many smaller and more primitive units, and even if they coexist, the small units will become of little importance compared to the large one over the course of history. For the final part, are you talking about Napoleon's military campaign? That was probably based on personal ambition, like that of the conquerors that came before him.

I'd point you to a good book, if it was in english. I only have books in portuguese, so you'll have to research by yourself. And no, I'm not saying that the entire concept of scientific theory is meaningless. I'm saying that it's valid, as long ast it's based on perception - something you seem to ignore. As far as I'm concerned, any perception outweigths any model in regards to a determined system. Think this way: you read a scientific description of what pain is. You think you know what pain is. Then you get stabbed in the hand. Now you really know what pain is.

Scientific theory cannot be completely based on perception; it requires analysis, and the entire concept of theory is centered on that. (heck, even perception by itself without any theory requires analysis) And your two descriptions of gaining the knowledge of pain are actually exactly the same at a fundamental level. The first one might actually be more accurate if taken to a certain point, because when you experience something your reasoning tends to get influenced in one of the directions. (the rule of experiential bias) The flaw can show itself after a thorough analysis of the logic procedure, but this can be difficult to do in practice.

Pfft, you're saying that you can make the person tolerate something. Ask any slave if they actually enjoy working all day, eating only what's needed to survive and being beaten almost to death for any "strange" behaviour.

Actually, if the guy has been doing it for a long time (i.e. most of his life) he would probably like it as long as he does not know otherwise. There are many examples of this throughout history.

Yes, it can be improved - but it's far easier to improve over the current model than to try to rework a whole new model for it. You're just dazzled by all the research on cloning that's popping everywhere right now (as is almost everyone else).

And I suppose you also think that continuing the current computer processor manufacturing process is better than researching new systems despite the fact that we know its limitations. :p

The key word here is "think". What you think it's gonna be. You have as much ground for predictions as anyone else here. In fact, a straight-to-the-point analysis of current western society will show that leisure activities will take more and more of a persons time as the basic production and work systems are automated. People seek to increase and improve their leisure time (and I speak of "people" as in "the whole society") and, if the current trend continues, we'll reach a point where we won't do anything besides "have fun". It's you that's failing to see that, trying to mask facts with a personal view. As I said earlier on this post, your own logic shows that the organism (the society, in this case) will move that way. You fail to realize that the vast majority of people doesn't think the way you do (or claim to), and therefore generalizing your own ideals as the whole society's trend won't work.

I do have as much ground for predictions as anyone else as long as they can back up their ideas; that's the whole point of argument. :p I agree with you that people will continue to have more and more fun in the traditional sense, but only up to a certain point. You see, if everyone has fun all the time, everyone will be constantly happy, and because the rate of advance of the society is to a significant extent based on the wants of the masses (which in turn is based on how happy people are; for example, a completely happy person would not do anything at all during his life), this rate will slowly drop to zero. Once the zero point is reached people will find a cause to complain about and thus remove the system that brought them to that point, since like I said earlier, suffering in that sense is necessary to further development. See that Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy book I mentioned earlier; it has become pretty famous and addresses this issue quite thoroughly. (and this is one of those things that was published in the 1950s from which most of the predictions have turned out true so far; so much for there being "no way to make accurate predictions" :p)

See, this proves my previous point. Every single person in this planet wants to have fun, each on his/her own way. Arguing like this is the way you have fun. Messing with you is the way I have fun (among several other things, of course, many of which take precedence).

Yes, that is how the current system works, which is actually one of the reasons that it or the society must fall.

Moving on to the next person...

Thoughts change, basic animal instincts don't. 3 billion years of Evolution has left a single goal ingrained into the deepest part of every organism on the planet, reproduce. For humans, and all other sexually reproducing animals, that means "go have sex". Do you honestly think that 3 billion years of evolution can just be pushed aside because something new comes along? It's a part of the Freudian Id, and the Id is unalterable by higher levels of the brain, merely suppressble (to a point). Sex will never die, or even be pushed into the background. It will remain, for the entire existence of the human race, the best and primary way to reproduce.

Yes they do, based on the needs of the animal for survival - simple fact of the evolution theory. Very, very few, if any, quantities in the universe are static in that sense, and they are all physical constants and such things; the universe is a continuously evolving unit, as are its constituent parts. You have given no reasons why sex is the "best" way to reproduce. And yes I do think just that, seeing as the same could be said about the space travel thing I was talking about with Styxx; no species in 3 billion years has been able to even light a fire, let alone launch space-capable vessels, and therefore, going by that method of thought, humans will not be able to do it either. You must look at other factors as well, such as what exactly causes animals (and humans) to retain these instincts.

That's simply not true I'm afraid, it's just that you don't live in the times, so you don't recognize it. 200 years ago, rape was as if not more common than it is today, and sex was still a major part of the human mindset. It just wasn't openly discussed. Do you really think that blokes 200 years ago didn't go home and have sex with their wives at least 3 or 4 times a week Of course they did...

I doubt that, as do most historians out there; maybe 200 years is a bit conservative, but go back in time some more (say, a thousand years) and things will have become even more pronounced in the opposite direction. Besides, if you agree that the issue "wasn't openly discussed," then that is all that matters, since this open discussion is what allows a topic to acquire a place in a cultural system.

Also, you're only talking about Western societies stance on sex, and not the far more open societies in other parts of the world.

Yes, but the Western society has in many ways become the dominant one of today's world; all the other nations are following in its footsteps not only in terms of technology but also of culture to a large extent. (possibly as a side effect)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 12:06:29 am by 296 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Actually, the further you go back the more sex was a part of society - the Chinese yellow emperor and their sexual customs (very extravagant, they layed out the emperors sexual patterns with his various wives for him), the Greeks and the Romans and their active sex lives (orgies and the like), the I believe Babylonian custom of sending Wives and Daughters to the temple once a month or so to be whores, etc., etc., sex is a major part of every society at different times, and it's acceptance goes up and down in a very long cycle. However, it's part in the make up of human nature is, while not entirely static (as it changes from person to person) is constant in both it's existence and significance.

I also have something to point out to you - look at the general pattern of this thread - you against the world. This, in my mind, is the best example of why the system you propose will never come to pass - because the people of Earth neither need it nor want it, and the minority will rarely be able to gain control in a situation like this.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Knight Templar

No I don't, thanx god An0n never tried that on me :lol:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
You've never lived till you had a 16 year old hit on you.... ;)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.