Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597646 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
I'm still holding out for a spiritual successor to Allegiance. I think the time is increasingly ripe, with the popularization of MOBA-like game elements. Although I'm worried that when it does appear it'll be fixed 8v8 instead of the flexible "anything between 4v4 and 64vs64 with anytime drop in/out" the original Allegiance was.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I just want someone to say "**** the open-world trading and mining and all that pointless bull**** fluff" and produce another tightly-focused, well-plotted singleplayer experience like FS2 or TIE Fighter.  But lord knows if/when that will happen.

Offline CT27

I just want someone to say "**** the open-world trading and mining and all that pointless bull**** fluff" and produce another tightly-focused, well-plotted singleplayer experience like FS2 or TIE Fighter.  But lord knows if/when that will happen.

Or Wing Commander right?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

Or Wing Commander right?

Agree 100%!  I don't do well with open-world/sandbox games, and I don't care much for multiplayer.  I don't self-focus well in games (probably not in RL either), and then I lose interest before ever really doing anything fun.  I do much better with a mission structure, whether linear or branching.  Some side missions are OK, but if there are too many I will get myself bogged down in those thinking i need to level up before getting back to the main campaign, and if the side missions are too repetitious or not engaging on their own again i will lose interest. 

I played the snot out of Wing Commander on my Super NES, replaying and tanking missions just to play through all the branches.  And FS2 is literally the primary reason I bought my first PC.  The original PC-only Crimson Skies and MechWarrior 3 also took a good bit of my free time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:03:05 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They cannot match the fidelity of the dreams of hard-core backers.

But remember, this is soooo much deeper than what Elite is doing. (It actually is! scanning in Elite is just keeping a target in view and holding a button while a progress bar fills)

Where have I seen that before?  ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Or Wing Commander right?

I pledged to SC to get myself a new Wing Commander game.

I am never going to get that damn game.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

House of the Dying Sun?

Offline Mikes

House of the Dying Sun?

Was awesome. I want more :-)

House of the Dying Sun?

1.0 is not released yet. Rumours say it has more.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

House of the Dying Sun?

1.0 is not released yet. Rumours say it has more.

Too bad all the rumors specifically say the art is "final".

I will say though it is tiring to have every game trying to insert itself as part of your life.  One of the reasons Grim Dawn is so refreshing.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Too bad all the rumors specifically say the art is "final".

Honestly I enjoyed the art style, but somehow its simplicity didn't translate into additional resources being spent on the rest of the game. What pisses me off is how the dev keeps pushing more difficulty levels in lieu of additional content when the game is barely an hour long.

Honestly I enjoyed the art style, but somehow its simplicity didn't translate into additional resources being spent on the rest of the game.

It absolutely did; I present to you as evidence the fact that there is a rest of the game. For god's sake man, the entire dev team is one guy working with only his own resources. Why are you even letting it piss you off that he can't handcraft ****loads of content?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Or Wing Commander right?

Agree 100%!  I don't do well with open-world/sandbox games, and I don't care much for multiplayer.  I don't self-focus well in games (probably not in RL either), and then I lose interest before ever really doing anything fun.  I do much better with a mission structure, whether linear or branching.  Some side missions are OK, but if there are too many I will get myself bogged down in those thinking i need to level up before getting back to the main campaign, and if the side missions are too repetitious or not engaging on their own again i will lose interest. 

I played the snot out of Wing Commander on my Super NES, replaying and tanking missions just to play through all the branches.  And FS2 is literally the primary reason I bought my first PC.  The original PC-only Crimson Skies and MechWarrior 3 also took a good bit of my free time.

I'd love to see another space sim PC game:
Wing Commander 6
Freespace 3
X-Wing Alliance 2 (or another X-Wing game)
A lot of people seem to dislike Starlancer but I found it passable

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I really enjoyed Starlancer, but my game kept crashing to desktop on the last mission so I never finished it.  I don't remember now if that was on my PII-350 and Windows Me, or if it was with my Athlon X2 and Windows XP.  I might try installing it again under Windows 10 and see if i can finish this time.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Honestly I enjoyed the art style, but somehow its simplicity didn't translate into additional resources being spent on the rest of the game.

It absolutely did; I present to you as evidence the fact that there is a rest of the game. For god's sake man, the entire dev team is one guy working with only his own resources. Why are you even letting it piss you off that he can't handcraft ****loads of content?

I can't mentally justify spending $20 on an hour long game. Playing the same missions on different difficulty levels doesn't appeal to me, and neither does the challenge mode or console ports. It's a fun game for a solo project, but until there are more missions or an editor or something I'm going to feel like I could've easily gotten something more for my money elsewhere.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You wouldn't be wrong except that you literally can't get any mission-based space sims except this one. There's nothing.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

House of the Dying Sun?
I have been meaning to look into it, but as other people have noted the facts that the game itself is short, and from what I've seen the mission structure is fairly simplistic, have given me a bit of pause up to this point..  I'll probably take a closer look next time it's on sale.  In the same vein, I know I have Strike Suit Zero (or Infinity?  or both?) buried away in my library, which I know is also a somewhat-different sort of game but at least still in the same general ballpark.  Unfortunately, like Battuta notes, that seems to be as close as we can get, which I find both frustrating and a bit mind-boggling.  There's definitely an untapped niche, and if multiple groups of people here have managed to create amazing gratis works on their free time, surely a small dev team could manage to produce something in the same vein on a modest budget.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
You wouldn't be wrong except that you literally can't get any mission-based space sims except this one. There's nothing.

That's why this bugs me so much. The game makes for a great hour, but at $20 I'd rather just not play any mission-based space sims.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The lack of longevity is a bit overstated.
I've beaten HoTDS in about 7/8 hours, it's a one hour game only if you don't do all the branches and the unlocks.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I never had HoTDs, but... What about Oculus VR?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...