Author Topic: High Poly Artemis WIP  (Read 17533 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by MicroPsycho

@aldo: I'm not sure I'm familiar with the 'in cockpit mode' care to explain?

A picture says a thousand words;

You can also see what seems fine for exterior viewing looks a bit worse and blurry for close in.  In my defense, I did this - particularly the HUD screen - before we actually had a cockpit view in FSO.

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Wait,... how is the Artemis, a heavy bomber, be the twin to the Apollo, a medium fighter?  Doesn't make very much sense.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

Yes, you never watched the FS1 intro ? There's a dead dude in the back seat.

I wouldn't bet it's a man.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Boomer

However, if you notice, the Apollo in the cutscene is the bomber edition, not the fighter, which is accepted to be the true Apollo.

*hopes he's not contradicted by the entire community*

And if you don't believe its a bomber, even with the visible missile racks, check the Freespace Reference Bible, 1st cutscene.
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TopAce

I wouldn't bet it's a man.

[q]Starts off showing opening credits over a flowing color background.  It starts blurry, and the source of the color isn’t immediately apparent.  The credits continue for a short while as the music builds.  At the same time, the flowing colors start speeding up and becoming more clear.  As the credits stop, the music hushes, then the camera pulls back quickly, revealing the damaged & sputtering thruster of a Terran bomber.

The music kicks in strong again, with a frantic pace.  The ship is severely damaged, and the pilot is nearly hyperventilating in panic.  He’s attempting to make a distress signal, but his comm is damaged and he’s so upset he’s talking near-gibberish. Closeups of his helmeted face show that he’s sweating and wide-eyed.

Pilot:  [panting]  Oh god, they’re following me!… Mayday!  Mayday!  This is Lieutenant Ash on Terran patrol wing Gamma… three niner… reporting… taken heavy damage… requesting immediate fighter cover and rescue… come in, anybody!

Scene cuts to a nearby military installation, the pilot makes a static-filled connection with a female comm officer… begins babbling about being ambushed by some new type of fighter.  The comm officer has a hard time making sense of what he’s saying.

Pilot:   Mayday!  Requesting immediate assistance!  Anyone, please!
Comm:   We’re barely receiving you Gamma three niner, this is Terran outpost Riviera responding, what is your situation?
Pilot:   Oh, thank god!  Our wing was ambushed!  We didn’t have a chance…  I’m sure they’re tracking me!
Comm:   Please calm down, sir, who attacked you?  Was it the Vasudans?
Pilot:   Vasudans were killed too, they slaughtered everyone…

Every few seconds a quick nightmarish flashback of the battle he just came from.  It becomes clear that his Terran squadron was in a typical engagement with a group of Vasudan fighters when they were ambushed by several strange black-and-red fighters.  The new ships made short work of the B fighters and started wasting the Terrans.  Only by fleeing madly was he able to escape alive, losing his copilot in the process (he’s in one of the two-man bombers).  The flashbacks show the Shivan fighters making strange, deft maneuvers, and emitting an eerie engine whine.

[cut to/from flashback]
Comm:   Sir, you have to calm down.  You were attacked by Vasudans, is that true?
Pilot:   No, no… we were in a skirmish with a Vasudan patrol, and they just came out of nowhere and killed everyone…
Comm:   Who came out of nowhere, pilot?
Pilot:   I don’t know, they weren’t Vasudan and they weren’t Terran… oh, god, they had these death-black ships, and they flew like… and their weapons were too much, they wasted everyone!
[/q]

The descent-network renders of the cutscene Apollo also show the co-pilots' section of the cockpit.

It is, however, a fairly miniscule part of the visible canopy they've given the co-pilot.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:18:59 am by 181 »

has anyone done a hi-poly Apollo? Cause that would be pretty sweet.

Anyway, back on topic I've added quite a bit of detail and done a lot of optimisations. The model as shown in the pictures below has exactly 2062 polies (model in pic at the beginning of this thread had 2009), but this has quads in it, when I triple the quads to make them triangles the model comes to about 3070 polies, which I guess is a little on the high side of things but ok if I don't add anymore detail and I make the cockpit a separate submodel. Your thought or suggestions.

Derek Smart is his own oxymoron.

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think i did see one somewhere,.... I'll have to find it again.  Good work on the Artemis BTW.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's a definite improvement over the previous version, dude. Keep it up.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
This is great. :)
You might want to do the Derelict-only Hydra, too.  Since that was just a little reskin, which Blaise dumped anyways, you would have creative control...
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Definitely going in the right direction :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by MicroPsycho
has anyone done a hi-poly Apollo? Cause that would be pretty sweet.

Dark's Apollo Mk2

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, that's a great-looking apollo.  Too bad it wasn't released before Dark dissapeared.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Probably for the best, because people would actually call that an mk2.

That's not an mk2.

Looks fantastic though.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
hey, anything going on with this?

i got upgraded maps on my HD, (less porcelain, more sleek metal) and i want to know if maybe we can have some kinda joint release
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Eh, I actually thought of the Artemis as a single-person bomber. Because: it has no turret.

Also, I think blue cockpit controls would look better, give it that more futuristic feel. And go better with the white skin.
-C

well, the model is pretty much done, but I havn't worked on it for a dew months. I've tried to texture it, but I can't UV map worth a damn. I was waiting to acquire Modo 201 as apparently it allows you to paint/texture on the model in realtime and then converts it into UV and makes a map. So far I have had no luck acquiring the program and I am considering dumping the model off to someone who will finish it, but I'll give UV mapping another shot in the near future when I have some time on my hands before I make a decision.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You're not going to try mapping it with the original map?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...