Author Topic: Yet Another Topic About People's Views On HTLing  (Read 12972 times)

Re: Yet Another Topic About People's Views On HTLing
Why can't we kill this thread now?
It's serving a valuable role as a cesspool for 'comments' that might otherwise end up in WIP threads.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Until the next time someone is, shall we say, less than enthusiastic about a given change. Then the entire discussion will start again.

So, given that all that has been said was just a rehashing of earlier arguments which we (as FSU) already have made our decisions about, this thread should die.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Akalabeth Angel raised a lot of fair points and got a ton of crap for it. He didn't say anything inflammatory and explained his points when people immediately assumed the worst. The attitudes I'm seeing here suggest he's been dubbed a hater and it is therefore totally ok to ignore him, and in Pomposity's case, make fun of him with a stupid picture like that.

Yes this thread has become a cesspool, but not because of 'comments that might otherwise have ended up in WIP threads'.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Unlocked again, because moderators talking amongst themselves isn't fun.

As far as I am concerned, everything about this topic has been said. What it boils down to, for me, is differences of opinion regarding artistry; as such discussions cannot really be decided by rational means (them being all about taste, in the end), and given that FSU has a policy in place for these issues, I do not see a benefit in allowing a topic as inflammable as this one is to stay open for a great length of time.
If there are issues with our policy, those can and should be discussed.
If there are issues with the general tone of a given comment on a given WIP, those can be discussed, but should best left to be handled by moderators and the actual modellers whose work is being criticized.

But a general discussion about "Let's make some rules for what is a good HTL job", that, I believe, is supremely futile, and should not be allowed to fester.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Well, since this topic exists, I'm guna ask a noob question: What does the acronym HTL stand for and what does mean to HTL a model? I know it has something to do with making a model more detailed and bringing its textures up to date but can anyone fully explain what's involved or at least give an overview?

BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Akalabeth Angel raised a lot of fair points and got a ton of crap for it. He didn't say anything inflammatory and explained his points when people immediately assumed the worst. The attitudes I'm seeing here suggest he's been dubbed a hater and it is therefore totally ok to ignore him, and in Pomposity's case, make fun of him with a stupid picture like that.
Yes this thread has become a cesspool, but not because of 'comments that might otherwise have ended up in WIP threads'.

Please take this as a friendly disagreement.

Angel's point, or what I presume he meant, is fair and obvious. Your points are also fair, but you are saing is not what he said. What he actually said opened him up for ridicule, and he deserves no quarter for it. He asked me to reread his post, so I will:

As I've stated above, I find that when a person does an HTL model it's about providing a service to the community, it's not a place to showcase personal artistic tastes. To my way of thinking there's an unspoken obligation to follow as close as possible to the original Volition vision. Not what you think their intent was, not what you think they would have done had they done it now, but what they did do with existing technology.
To take liberties with a design is to my mind to take advantage of the media vps in order to get your artistic vision to as wide as possible an audience as possible. And in that regard, it's self-serving not serving the needs of the community which is what the upgrade project should be about. If people want to showcase their creativity do so in a third party campaign with a new ship.

Angel believes that some of us, namely Hades, is taking too many liberties with V's original design. He then, using no uncertain terms states that taking such liberties is to take advantage of the mediaVP's and in tha regard is self-serving, which is uncalled for and wrong. 

Now maybe he did not mean to make it a pointed statement. Which is fine, but he chose to then take the self-important stance and tell me to re-read his post, instead of just correcting himself. 

We have every right to disagree with him in a professional matter. And you'll notice that when it came to what constitutes a proper HTL, most of us were, myself included. I called him an asshat when he truly deserved it.

The frusteration also comes with the acknowledgment of a few facts:

1) Volitions ships do not provide enough detail to do anything but add details where the texture indicates, or round surfaces that should have been, so some artistic liberty MUST be taken if you wish to have more than that.

2) The line at which too much is too much is impossible to determine objectively.

I'll bring up the Hatty again. Few would argue that it is a suitable upgrade. It is also completely covered in details that are in NO WAY implied by V. So it IS acceptable to go outside of "what V DID do", you just need to be careful.

Angel's original critique of Hades model was fine. He gave high points and expressed his opinions as his opinions. After that, he earned every last bit of critique.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, since this topic exists, I'm guna ask a noob question: What does the acronym HTL stand for and what does mean to HTL a model? I know it has something to do with making a model more detailed and bringing its textures up to date but can anyone fully explain what's involved or at least give an overview?

HTL = Hardware Transformation and Lighting (wiki it up)

HTL has absolutely nothing to do with models or textures per-se. But that acronym stuck because high-poly models and high-res textures became available when FSO engine was modified to support HTL. In almost any other context than FSO, speaking of HTL while meaning high-poly models or high-res textures would only lead to very puzzled people.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
See, we're all selfish. Every single one of us expects the MediaVPs to match our own personal vision of upgraded Freespace. Artists and Commentators alike. No one is willing to compromise for the sake of the community project without throwing their hissy fit and making sure they are heard... and I'm pretty tired of dealing with that.

However, I will note that the artists are pulling the weight and doing the work. And you know what? I think that gives them more of a say. But that's just me (Not FSU).

That's why I will consider the suggestions of those who can post with tact and respect and ignore the rest.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Couldn't be arsed to give my opinion, but I feel I have to say this.

Artists OFFER to the community to spend their own free time into making models and textures. That gives them the absolute and unswerving right to express artistic license in their work, as it is the right all artists deserve. Anyone trying to deny them this fundamental right should be shot on sight.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I'll fire off one last post anyway to address a few things that were said while I was sleeping.

One thing I do know though, is going after someone for redoing something when it's still a work in progress and even they aren't satisfied with it yet is foolish. Constructive criticism is what we need, not, "You changed it too much. It sucks!" ESPECIALLY when the modeller hasn't even completed the model yet and it is still subject to much change. So in a WIP picture, you don't like something. Whoop de doo. Either explain what it is about it that you don't like and how you think it could be improved upon, politely say you don't care for it this way but can't quite explain why, or STFU and wait to see what it looks like when the whole model comes together before you start pissing and moaning about it.

I find that thinking a bit bizarre myself. You want people to restrict criticism until a model is finished? That's the absolute WORST time to tell someone you don't agree with something. And it's also counter to common logic, because the precise reason a person posts WIP pics is to get feedback as it goes along. Or, at least I HOPE that's why such pics are being posted. If an artist is only posting stuff along the way just for the sake of praise and adoration I'm afraid they have a few insecurities that they should begin working to address. (And no, I am not saying that is the case with anyone).

If everyone were able to give feedback at that level of quality this would be a different matter, but frankly you just make me think that model feedback should be handled entirely internally.

Community members should not be faulted for their inability to properly communicate their ideas. And verbosity is not necessarily quality. Regarding the leviathan several posters have simply said the same thing VA said with just less words. Posts of such length also create the opposite problem of people ignoring them altogether. When reading the thread I skipped over it entirely and then only later came back to read it. That isn't to say that VA post isn't both helpful and informative but to dismiss other people's opinions because they don't match the same length or level of detail is a disservice.

Similarily, restricting a COMMUNITY project to the overseeing of an ELITE few would likewise be a disservice.

As I've stated above, I find that when a person does an HTL model it's about providing a service to the community, it's not a place to showcase personal artistic tastes. To my way of thinking there's an unspoken obligation to follow as close as possible to the original Volition vision. Not what you think their intent was, not what you think they would have done had they done it now, but what they did do with existing technology.
To take liberties with a design is to my mind to take advantage of the media vps in order to get your artistic vision to as wide as possible an audience as possible. And in that regard, it's self-serving not serving the needs of the community which is what the upgrade project should be about. If people want to showcase their creativity do so in a third party campaign with a new ship.

Angel believes that some of us, namely Hades, is taking too many liberties with V's original design. He then, using no uncertain terms states that taking such liberties is to take advantage of the mediaVP's and in tha regard is self-serving, which is uncalled for and wrong.

Now maybe he did not mean to make it a pointed statement. Which is fine, but he chose to then take the self-important stance and tell me to re-read his post, instead of just correcting himself.

I'm sorry RGA, I realize you're simply getting overly defensive but do NOT speak for me.
You need to understand that a discussions can be prompted by a model without being about that individual model. You also need to understand that reservations about a model can lead a discussion to address a larger phenomenon as a whole without specifically saying that any individual project is a symptom of that phenomenon.

Or in more simple terms,
Yes this discussion was born because of Hades Leviathan. Am I singling him out? No it's simply the first thing I saw.
And yes this discussion thereafter was taken by me into a broader direction, but at no time did I make an accusation about hades. I don't know his intent. Nor do I claim to. Perhaps my post was left open enough for people to mistakenly INFER that I was slamming hades but that was never the case. I simply recognize the fact that the FSU can serve as a vehicle for self-service rather than community-service and that there is the danger that someone may approach it in that way.

Some people seek approval because they don't approve of themselves. And contributing to a high profile project, whether a community based one or a very popular one is the best means to get the most approval. And furthermore, the more artistic license someone takes with any given project, the more that approval specifically targets them. So in that way, a community project can be a vehicle for self-service. Am I talking about you or any one person? No.

But I work, professionally as an artist. In television animation to be precise. And I've seen people put their own "artistic touch" on a scene that was neither mandated by the show, nor was it in support of the show's story. In fact, such work often detracted from the show as a whole both because it was a needless distraction from the main action and also because it took unecessary time and effort which consequently took away from that artist's other work.

So believe me, when I say that I understand some artists use high profile projects for self-serving reasons and that 'artistic license' may lead them to lose the original vision. And again, I am not accusing, nor do I believe that any one person is doing this. I'm barely familiar with anyone's work, let alone any one artist so I don't even have the grounds to make such an accusation.

And by the way, incidentally I looked at Hades' medusa and it looked great as far as I could tell. I didn't make a direct side by side comparison for example but the fact that I didn't means it probably captured the same feel.

Artists OFFER to the community to spend their own free time into making models and textures. That gives them the absolute and unswerving right to express artistic license in their work, as it is the right all artists deserve. Anyone trying to deny them this fundamental right should be shot on sight.

Yes and as a community project that impacts all,  the community has the right to voice their opinion about any such artistic endeavour.

However, I will note that the artists are pulling the weight and doing the work. And you know what? I think that gives them more of a say. But that's just me (Not FSU).

People contribute to the community in all manner of ways and their inability to contribute in a specific field should not invalidate nor lessen their opinion in that field. At most it gives them less technical grounding to address the specifics.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:12:16 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
EDIT: I need to preface this post with it's intent... Your original statement was not written in a way that accurately conveys what you meant. You simply cannot fault myself or the others for seeing it as they did... Because that's what you wrote. Your above post better explains it. Do that next time, instead of faulting others for what you wrote. The examples below are just points to highlight the path of logic that your original post implied.

You misunderstand... Hades was the example of you expressing your feelings to the liberties taken with some models.

For you to make the statement you did about a current trend is to apply it to someone, or a group of people. If your statement does not apply to anyone in anyway, then why did you make it? You stated that for someone to take such liberties is self serving... So answer these questions as directly as you can:

1) Who is taking such liberties in your opinion?

2) How does literally saying that taking such liberties is self-serving not then apply to that person?

You clearly feel that some are taking these liberties... If no one was you wouldn't have said it.

You need to abandon that defense. You said something you either didn't mean or now regret, so just apologize.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:21:53 pm by Rga_Noris »
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

You misunderstand... Hades was the example of you expressing your feelings to the liberties taken with some models.

For you to make the statement you did about a current trend is to apply it to someone, or a group of people. If your statement does not apply to anyone in anyway, then why did you make it? You stated that for someone to take such liberties is self serving... So answer these questions as directly as you can:

1) Who is taking such liberties in your opinion?

2) How does literally saying that taking such liberties is self-serving not then apply to that person?

You clearly feel that some are taking these liberties... If no one was you wouldn't have said it.

Again, please don't speak for me. You don't know my thoughts.
But in an effort for you to better understand where I'm coming from, please re-read my above post. I added a portion in the response to you.

Or heck I'll put it here for you:
Some people seek approval because they don't approve of themselves. And contributing to a high profile project, whether a community based one or a very popular one is the best means to get the most approval. And furthermore, the more artistic license someone takes with any given project, the more that approval specifically targets them. So in that way, a community project can be a vehicle for self-service. Am I talking about you or any one person? No.

But I work, professionally as an artist. In television animation to be precise. And I've seen people put their own "artistic touch" on a scene that was neither mandated by the show, nor was it in support of the show's story. In fact, such work often detracted from the show as a whole both because it was a needless distraction from the main action and also because it took unecessary time and effort which consequently took away from that artist's other work.

So believe me, when I say that I understand some artists use high profile projects for self-serving reasons and that 'artistic license' may lead them to lose the original vision. And again, I am not accusing, nor do I believe that any one person is doing this. I'm barely familiar with anyone's work, let alone any one artist so I don't even have the grounds to make such an accusation. I just recognize that there is that potential and that people should be wary of it, even the artists themselves.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Please take this as a friendly disagreement.

Angel's point, or what I presume he meant, is fair and obvious. Your points are also fair, but you are saing is not what he said. What he actually said opened him up for ridicule, and he deserves no quarter for it. He asked me to reread his post, so I will:

We have every right to disagree with him in a professional matter. And you'll notice that when it came to what constitutes a proper HTL, most of us were, myself included. I called him an asshat when he truly deserved it.

I do think he has a valid point there though - I've thought about that myself from time to time. As he specifically points out, this is not to say it definitely has or is likely to soon happen, but the point is that as FSU staff we can commit things straight to SVN, and I think that ability is important to keep in mind so that we DON'T take advantage of it. This has always been the case, and in the past unpopular changes that went through got reversed by popular demand. Nothing wrong with that.

However my concern is with how hostile people on this board seem to have become. There have been many times when I and others like BW have hesitated to give honest opinions of a WIP simply because of the likelyhood of it causing another 'hater' branding - something I've seen other FSU staff participate in far too much of in recent times. As such, the avenue for that 'popular demand' feedback is reduced to the point where my worry is that it will no longer have an effect, and unpopular changes could be pushed through all the time.

Has this happened? No I don't think so, but I do think it's worth bearing in mind so that it does not happen. :)

I'd also really like the people on this board (FSU staff and posters alike) to abandon the whole stupid hater branding attitude. I'm going to be watching for it in future because it's flaming and should be treated as such.

The frusteration also comes with the acknowledgment of a few facts:

1) Volitions ships do not provide enough detail to do anything but add details where the texture indicates, or round surfaces that should have been, so some artistic liberty MUST be taken if you wish to have more than that.

2) The line at which too much is too much is impossible to determine objectively.

I'll bring up the Hatty again. Few would argue that it is a suitable upgrade. It is also completely covered in details that are in NO WAY implied by V. So it IS acceptable to go outside of "what V DID do", you just need to be careful.

Oh I'm definitely not saying that 'you should only add detail where the texture or geometry implies'. I'm talking about keeping the feel of each ship through preserving the key aspects.
An example would be the Aten. I made some pretty big changes to the underbelly but did not much change the feel of the top - just more clearly defined it, with the reason being that the overall look of the topside was definitely a key aspect of the original, whilst the underside was not.

It's the same deal with the Hatty - the key aspects are all beautifully maintained, and then loads of detail and artistic license are employed to great effect - resulting in something pretty spectacular. The same can be said of your Sobek - you've obviously put a lot of care into preserving the key aspects of the Sobek design, and have then added a lot of artistic license around that. This is what I think HTLing should be all about! :)

A HTL job can employ artistic license AND/OR effectively carry over the feel from the retail model. Models that do both are pretty much universally liked. Models that do just one will not be as popular: If they don't carry over the feel from the original they're unpopular among people who liked that feel, whilst if they don't employ artistic license then they're a bit of a bland upgrade.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
OK, I've seen enough.

Everyone's made their point multiple times.

VA: The things you have to say to the FSU staff, should probably be in internal and not out here in public.. because while I agree with what you are saying, you are also serving to encourage certain kinds of posting that I find quite harsh.

I really want to request that if any other moderators have anything else to add to the FSU staff.. it should be on internal. This thread has seen enough hostility and really needs to be closed.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.