Author Topic: You know what sucks?  (Read 13320 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
A) not having a proper joystick and throttle rig (RIP my Thrustmaster HOTAS setup)

B) Ulysses AKA The Papier-Mache fighter. :D

I just started playing again, with a borrowed Logitech cheapass stick and my Nostromo Speedpad. Its not substitute for a proper HOTAS setup. :(

I don't remember Freespace missions being so dark, either. I flew against a Shivan Comm Node at Ross128 in one of the mission simulations and couldn't see the thing except when other ships were jumping in. Probably more realistic, but damn is it hard to shoot down Shivans in the dark. :D

It might be time to break out the soldering iron and see what I can do with my old stick and throttle and make them work. Until i have a job again, a HOTAS/Cougar setup is going to be a long way off.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
I use a two-button flightstick for FS you know.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Shrike
I use a two-button flightstick for FS you know.

How can you dignify that with the word "flightstick"? :D

I'm used to have no less than six hats, two trigger positions, a rocker, five axes, and seven buttons to spare.

How people play stick games using the keyboard instead of a throttle is beyond me. I lack that kind of skill.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Meh I use a Microsoft Sidewinder pad..  yeah it doesn't make me the best pilot, but I can do barrel rolls like no bodies bussiness :D

I have a really old Gravis Black Hawk, but it only work with Windos 95 and lower (:lol: ) and it sucks so much I just stuck with the pad.. :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
A joystick that doesn't work with anything after 95? Can't you at least set it up as a 2 or 3 axis 4 button stick?

I could never play with a pad. how do you fit all your controls on those six buttons?

Offline Solatar

I use an optical mouse and my keyboard. I can stop on a dime with my mouse, and I can do stuff with my keyboard so fast it isn't funny.

Originally posted by Hades
I use an optical mouse and my keyboard. I can stop on a dime with my mouse, and I can do stuff with my keyboard so fast it isn't funny.

All Hail the Keyborad Ninja!

I'm using a combo of an old, logitech wingman extreme digital 3d, and keyboard.  It lets me do smooth, fluid motions(turns a battle into art).
Can the reason that we fear the unknown be that we know ourselves too well?       -The Outer Limits

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Offline Solatar

If you're flying something like an Ursa, you can turn up the mouse sensativity, making it twice as maneuverable. hence, you can dogfight with an Ursa. Those cannons packs a real punch.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
I could never play with a pad. how do you fit all your controls on those six buttons?

I got 9... :)

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Solatar

I could never play with a pad either.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Logitech Wingman Extreme over here, 4 hats (maybe 8 if you set it up right, but im not that talented), 6 buttons + trigger, 3 axis, and a throttle (which i haven't figured out how to use with FS2).  Good stick, although my secondary weapons button is wearing out, probably from all the extensive online dogfighting i used to do in the good ole erin.

Quite an improvement over the 2 button stick i used to use (rock one Shrike); it's handle broke one day while i was in the middle of a dogfight, plastic rod snapped inside the base and i couldn't find a good way to fix it.  I think I was actually better with that stick than I am with this one, I certainly shot things down faster.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
I like HOTAS setups myself, and don't like that new rotating stick rudder thing that's become popular. My joysticks are:

Gravis Phoenix. (Mostly retired due to some nonfunctional buttons.) 24 buttons, 2-axis stick, throttle and rudder. One button can be setup as a function toggle so all the other buttons can have 2 seperate functions. Lightweight, one piece, old as heck, and very hard to replace.

Saitek X45. Probably looks more like the old Thrustmaster joystick +throttle unit then most these days. (Sorry, no foot pedals. ;) )Seperate stick and throttle units, 8 buttons, 4 hats, (one able to work as a mouse) rudder rocker switch, 2 analog dials, 1 3 position switch, 3 position mode switch, (function toggle) and the pinky trigger (one of the 8 buttons) can be setup as a second function toggle. That means each button/hat switch direction/axis can have up to 6 functions. Nice, if you've got lots of desk space or a lap desk. :) It's about as wide and deep as a keyboard. The missile button safety cover can be annoying, but it's easily removed. And I didn't have to make a special config for FS2. (Though I did make one for other games, including D3 since I wanted to try some advanced things with it.)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by LtNarol
and a throttle (which i haven't figured out how to use with FS2).
Set it to the relative throttle in FS2's control config, not the absolute throttle.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

How people play stick games using the keyboard instead of a throttle is beyond me. I lack that kind of skill.

I think the exact opposite. I just can not play FS with a joystick. Can't even hit a Sathanas while playing with a joystick. :)
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by mikhael

BWAHAHAHA!!! Ph34r me, for I use the ultimate controller - DA M0uZ3
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i went through the n00b keyboard phase
then i used a wingman force feedback for a while (by the way, this joystick actually came with the full version of FS1 in the box :) )
and for the last two years i've used a keyboard

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Jesus.. I have a hard enough time with FPS using keyboard, how do you fly with the keyboard?

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
it takes practice to learn to fly in FS2 with a keyboard
it takes skill to learn to fly and be good at it KT

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
ahhh. Thanks for the clear up Stealth. :nod:

Just in case.. it takes practice to fly with a pad.. and it takes skill to fly with a pad and be good.

I'm not talkin' tampons here either.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i don't see how anyone can fly with a pad, but i know i could beat you in a dogfight with a keyboard, joystick, or yes... even a pad