Author Topic: grab you pills and prepare for a coronary  (Read 23212 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
grab you pills and prepare for a coronary
mine always stayed at the 40-50 fps line, mind you:

athlon xp 1.8ghz
256mb ddr
128mb 3dprophet 9000
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by LtNarol
for fog-missions, what if you added an option to fred which disables object rendering past 750 meters for fighters and bombers and 5000 meters for capital ships?
IIRC, FS2 already implements this sort of culling in a much more detailed fashion.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and that wouldn't help the fact that polys with glow maps are being rendered supar bright in nebulas
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
change this:

Code: [Select]

d3d_verts[i].color = RGBA_MAKE(255, 255, 255, 0);

to this when in nebula missions

Code: [Select]

d3d_verts[i].color = RGBA_MAKE(128, 128, 128, 0);
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
So, any plans to link this effect to damage, as with the glow points?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
a glow map can be asosiated with any bitmap, like the damage map for example, so all the dead turrets that use the damage.pcx texture will be rendered with the damage-glow.pcx as a glow map
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Well, I meant perhaps having all the illuminated textures on a ship flicker or dim as it becomes critically damaged.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by LtNarol
I have a suggestion that I feel may help the framerate; for fog-missions, what if you added an option to fred which disables object rendering past 750 meters for fighters and bombers and 5000 meters for capital ships?  It would obviously need to check distance from the camera point since the player can view from another ship, but still, the idea is simple.

Depending on your detail settings, by the time ships get that far from you, they'll be down to LOD3 or LOD4... which isn't many polys at all. We could always try and see, though, since the nebula completely brings down visibility.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
To reiterate, FS2 already does this. I was perusing the source and found a few pages that appear to distance-cull ships in nebulas at varying distances based on their type.

Offline RandomTiger

Nice one Bob :yes:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have made a newer build while testing with TBP, I uploaded this just before the VW servers whent down, I was compiling a relese build wich is why I didn't update the other zip,
I have aslo made a glowmap enabled version of TBP also.

the VW servers are back now
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
what's new in this new version?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I fixed a bug that was causeing TBP to crash, it wasoverwriteing memory when it made the ABtrails, note, the AB trails do not work for some reason
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
WE BE 'SHWAGGIN!!!

i should update my mod to include this stuff, its been offline sence i updated my page. all that work i put into making glowing spots on my ships only to trade in the old voodoo 3 for a geforce4 and an ati mobility 9000.

now a couple questions:

1. this is a form of multitexturing, right. will this lead to stuff like pixel shaders, bumb mapping, reflectance mapping, environment mapping and all that cool stuff?

2. will the glowing spots shine on nearby surfaces?

3. could we use this to replace the old fashoned meathod of setting lightsources.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I can reply:
no, no, no, no, and I might have forgoten a no, so here is one more: no. That's unfortunate, but it has nothing to do with all that, it's not even a sel-illumination. map.
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Bob, I dont see how turning off the fog will help since the whole object will be clipped after its too deep into the fog.

You may want to consider turning that feature off in the fog for now until you find a better solution. I suspect you may have to fog the effect vertex with a different factor to the normal ones to get it looking right.

Just for the record Bob, I expect this effect will throw up some problems when full HT&L gets done since its seems to be rendering two things in the exact same space.

Im surprised that it doesnt even seem to slow my machine down.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 07:05:15 am by 848 »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's re-rendering the same polygon after translation and lighting (so yes this probly will cause HT&L problems, unless the T&L step can be seperated from the rasterization step or we can tell it to render each primiteve twice with diferent flags and textures)

the problem with fog is that it (seems as if) it's getting twice the fogging it should be getting becase the poly is getting rendered twice,
I'm thinking if I just turn foging off and then use some sort of inverse of the fog values for lighting values (so the further away the dimmer they seem) it will work right

the proces this uses is; in the final step of poly rendering, just after the poly is rasterised, while I still have all of it's verts (in screen coordanants), I set the texture to be the glow map assosiated with the current texture (if there is one, otherwise I just leave), then I set it's (verts') lighting (color) values all to 255,255,255,0, and I set the poly to be rendered useing additive alpha, then I render it again, the effect is all polys rendered have another poly rendered additively in the _exact_ same place useing the _exact_ same values, this way I don't have to recalculate the transformations for each vert and I don't have to worry about any Z errors,
I could use a similar trick to make multi-texturing and just leave the lighting values alone

I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to redo the entire system that the model rendering system uses, I don't think it should use g3_draw_poly at all, but make a list of polys to be rendered, then all defpoints get transformed, then we use the gr_draw_primitive (I think that's what it's called, the thing that g3_draw_poly calls) to go through and render them, this way the transformation proces gets called only about 1/3 as oftine, also, this would make the transition to HT&L a bit easier, and we could use vertex buffers the do the whole thing in one go.

and I also think it might be a good idea to make vert buffers as part of each subobject, there can be a OGL equivelent only one of these gets used based on wich rendering mode were in
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 08:56:41 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
about that warp pof...

this one
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/warp.zip
 is the newest one you put up (hidden away in some obscure post); I thought I'd bring it up again.

I have to saw - this is a really awesome warp effect, Bobboau.  Nice work. :yes: :jaw:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actualy I think that is the older one, it will keep you're game from crashing but it's half the size it should be,
when I get back home tonight I'll update it, but I've got to get to work and drop my mom off at my aunts house
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm, you're right - then where is the zip I got?

Oh well, I zipped it myself - here it is.  Very cool effect. :)