Author Topic: Plan for 3.6  (Read 19112 times)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by penguin
OK, I'm stupid.  What is a skybox?
You must not play FPSs much. A skybox is exactly what it sounds like-- a box that acts as the sky. The distant outdoor environments (clouds, mountains, cityscapes, etc) in pretty much every FPS engine since Quake are usually nothing more than the insides of a giant textured cube.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
mod selection ability?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by Inquisitor

In-engine Cutscenes

Thank you. Have you tried the one I posted?

Do you mean the way I posted, with the new SEXPs, or some other way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 06:39:16 am by 536 »

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Something that could be super cool:

TORPEDOES!!!!

As in, missiles launced from capships that home in on other capships.

Think 'Starlancer' and you'll get what I mean. This would open up a whole variety of new engagements, and would fill in the only remaining hole in capship armaments.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

• Koala-monkey
You could even fly into them and get killed all the time.

Do the capship cannons in StarLancer even do any damage.

Make sure the RIGHT set of glowmaps are standard
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/fsport/working/GEglowmaps.zip

THank you Galactic Emperor.

Or, even better the .vp file

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/scroll/misc/glowmaps.zip

THank you Sesquipedalian.

--> I think that is very important. It is even more important that it is incorporated by 3.6

--> I mean, we all want it now. How about a new and improved 3.51???--The sooner the better.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
Something that could be super cool:

TORPEDOES!!!!

Think 'Starlancer' and you'll get what I mean. This would open up a whole variety of new engagements, and would fill in the only remaining hole in capship armaments.

make a turret, make it launch a big missile. yeah! torpedo.

skyboxes would, well, rule. if they're not boxes of course, wanna make a pof and use that as the "box".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 10:34:49 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
You can already do this. Just make a torpedo-shaped "fighter", then order it to kamikaze whatever capship you want.

Originally posted by venom2506
skyboxes would, well, rule. if they're not boxes of course, wanna make a pof and use that as the "box".
Nothing wrong with cubic skyboxes. If they're made right, you can't even tell it's a cube.

But yeah, the advantage of hooking into FS2's existing code is that you could do skyspheres, skytubes... whatever.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 10:37:09 am by 264 »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Nebulae use skyspheres, don't they?

Anyway, what good would this be? How would spinning rings work, Zylon?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Nebulae use skyspheres, don't they?

benefits? how, I can render a unique, great looking background impossible to achive with regular nebulas.

and no, usual nebulas are planes, just try and make 6 very gigantic nebulas placed like a cube in the mission, you'll see, well, a cube. they overlap, etc
SCREW CANON!

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by venom2506

and no, usual nebulas are planes, just try and make 6 very gigantic nebulas placed like a cube in the mission, you'll see, well, a cube. they overlap, etc

I think he means the full nebulae. And i think he's right. There is a huge blue sphere pof in the sparky.vp, and all I can think of is that it is the full nebula B/G, on a similar prinicple to the subspace tunnels.

BTW, why are there two subspace tunnel pofs?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
They rotate in opposite directions with alpha channel transparency. :nod:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
The same way every other spinning submodel in the game works.

• Koala-monkey
They rotate in opposite directions with alpha channel transparency. :nod:

Ahh, so one fits inside the other! That's quite froody.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB

I think he means the full nebulae. And i think he's right. There is a huge blue sphere pof in the sparky.vp, and all I can think of is that it is the full nebula B/G, on a similar prinicple to the subspace tunnels.

ah, yeah, that. true, there's a mapped sphere as a background.
SCREW CANON!

• Koala-monkey
Tis what I said. Also, that sphere must have some sort of texture variance code, as it is blue in Modelview, yet can have many different nebula colours.

Offline Fry_Day

To do what most of you refer to as specular highlighting, all you need to do is use a specular map (which is basically a while gradient sphere, with the middle being brightest) on a black background, and map it onto every vertex using the vertex's normal for texture coordinates, after scaling the normal.
something like:
Code: [Select]

glBlend(GL_ONE,GL_ONE); //Add-blend the specular highlight
glTexCoord2f((Vlist[index].x/2) +0.5f, Vlist[index].y/2 +0.5f);

I'm not gonna explain the math behind why it works, but it is mathematically correct phong shading, assuming that the light source is a point light, right where the viewer is, and the viewer is infinitely far from the viewed object (As in, looking at it through a giant telescope, so there's no perspective taken into account).

It's got limitations, but it looks good, and is very easy to implement on hardware.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
or we can multitexture :D

on another note i had an idea - level 4 tag system:

A friendly ship would shoot a level 4 tag missile at a ship.  once its tagged, others friendly ships in the area that have special missiles will fire these missiles and they would conduct a subspace missile strike.  basically you become the firer of the ssm strike
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline J3Vr6

Kind of laser designating a target IRL, where a soldier "paints" something as a target for an air strike?

How about some sort of beam type of weapon, where you have to keep the target painted with the beam until the missiles hit.  The beam won't do any damage, it just basically calls in the strike to that target.  You'd have to be within a specific range in order for it to work.

Also, going back to the main topic, what about all the threads that were to incorporate T&L and all that into Freespace?  Is that coming soon to a FS game near us?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Solatar

Make the "paint" laser turn the target box blue, and send a message to all bombers in the area. Bombers could then press a pre-designated button to target it. This would be good for multi-player more thn single.