Author Topic: Plan for 3.6  (Read 19255 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by J.F.K.
Is this it?

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/editorials/02-09-00.shtml

I believe that's the VolitionWatch FS3 Wishlist, I don't know if the Ross128 wishlist was completely seperate or what. Before my time, that was. :eek:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline J.F.K.

Originally posted by Sandwich
I believe that's the VolitionWatch FS3 Wishlist, I don't know if the Ross128 wishlist was completely seperate or what. Before my time, that was. :eek:

If it was before your time... :nervous:

I don't imagine it would be difficult thinking up most of the stuff on the list, though. Just play through the game again and think of everything 'wouldn't be cool if I could'... ;)
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

If it was before your time... :nervous:

Meh - just look at when I registered for the VWBB - that's when I got involved in the FS community. And that was when FS2 was getting old, not to mention FS1.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline J.F.K.

How old is FS2 already? Practically speaking, is FS Open going to move dramatically far away from FS2 - err, what I'm trying to say is, are we turning the sinking boat not just into an improved sinking boat, but into a whole new boat altogether?
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
How old is FS2 already? Practically speaking, is FS Open going to move dramatically far away from FS2 - err, what I'm trying to say is, are we turning the sinking boat not just into an improved sinking boat, but into a whole new boat altogether?

Well...Descent: FreeSpace came out in 1998 and FreeSpace 2 in 1999.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Easier testing in FRED3. Let us click a button and very quickly launch into our mission's Command Briefing and go from there, quickly exiting back to FRED3 on command. It'd be a godsend.

I'd like to see that done.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wasn't there something called MILO (MIssion LOader) a while back that skipped nearly all the interface stuff and sent you directly into a mission? If not, there should be. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Originally posted by Sandwich

hell the Ross128 wishlist wasn't before my time, and yet i don't remember it!

(hell, Alliance Productions (Unholy Alliance)'s first host was *gasp* GROUNDFS!!! on Stomped!!!)
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
http://web.archive.org/web/20010604122039/ross128.telefragged.com/fs3list.shtml

Between the user campaigns and fs2_open, many of these have been or are being done. :)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by Goober5000
You can basically do cutscenes now. :nod: You can skip both briefing and debriefing.  You can play music.  You can set ship position and heading (towards any point, in space or facing a ship).  All that's missing is hud-toggle.

Splendid.

How does the music thing work? Is it a change-music SEXP that changes the soundtrack, or a play-music SEXP that plays a specific wav file?

Speaking of music, what do you think of that soundtrack I made for TVWP?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Add support fo more multi-part turrets!
(read: rotating submodels)

and of course, better AI
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
How does the music thing work? Is it a change-music SEXP that changes the soundtrack, or a play-music SEXP that plays a specific wav file?

Both.  Read the sexp page. :)

Speaking of music, what do you think of that soundtrack I made for TVWP?

I'll respond in the forum in a few moments.

Offline J.F.K.

Originally posted by IceFire

Well...Descent: FreeSpace came out in 1998 and FreeSpace 2 in 1999.

Wow, older than I thought. It doesn't look much worse than Freelancer, and that's like four years younger. Then again, from what I heard, FL's been in development for ages.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Wow, older than I thought. It doesn't look much worse than Freelancer, and that's like four years younger. Then again, from what I heard, FL's been in development for ages.

Probably for almost as long.  FreeSpace 2 was VERY VERY good and probably ahead of its time...FreeLancer is a bit behind the times but that doesn't bother me too much...it runs smooth as silk even on my system.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fry_Day

Freelancer has been a looong time in development. It garnered plenty E3 awards way back in 98' (including, as I recall, best of the show). Back then, of course, Chris Roberts was still involved with the game, but still, it has been in development since before basic raster 3d-accelerators were a requirement for all games.

Offline Inquisitor

Ross128 wishlist, eh???

Fantomeye might have it, I lost all my r128 archives a while ago :(
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

That makes me feel VERY nostalgic...
No signature.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

I already said that, no-one listened :(

Hmm..torpedos still seem to be an issue.

I think some good points were already mentioned about them:

• Massive payload
  • BIG size
  • more inteligent then a simple missile

Original torpedos were designed as "autonom ships" to deliver some explosives...and they were quite faulty.
In space the requirements are quite the same. They have a massive (in other words - damn expensive) warhead.
To get it delivered they either have armorplating or some fancy AI and speed.

So - torpedos should be:
BIG MAMUTH KILLER type
-big like a fighter (so only corvette should be big enough to mount one alone - maybe even a corvette may have only two launchers - and only a couple (2-4) of torpedos)
-->they may be treated as automatic crafts or drones
-do huge damage *much more than Helios - 3 torpedos hit - there goes a Hecate
-have an AI similar to a drone

Since they're so big there's no way a ship would fire more than a dozer or a little more - so they can be treated as a suicide fighter.

NIMBLE BASTARD type
-the torpedo's still big, but can be fitted even onto a bomber
-they do less damage - maybe they're for surgical strikes, so they do more damage to the system they hit
-even a frigate may fire them - but not in all directions like a missile - the torpedo is massive and the engineers better make sure they don't go off inside the hull.
-they are manuverable and skippy - they have an AI similar to a fighter on the run

Since a couple of dozens may be fired during a mission they can be treated as very inteligent missiles - some figter AI traits should be transfered.

*Ships with torpedos may have a torpedo vault - based on the number of torpedos left massive damage may await any ship that gets its storage blown :devil:

Ships may launch torpedos from a distance -  so foghters may have a chance of interception - easier than taking down a bomber, but lot harder then a bomb, since these bombs dodge and take a couple of hits.
...or from close range - which puts even the attacker in grave danger - if the torpedo goes off while being lauched - :devil:
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I hate to bug you guys about this, but, could you please restore the shield impact effect to how it was? It's not conforming to the shield mesh anymore.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...