Author Topic: Your one-stop shop for overly literal FS geek questions  (Read 8327 times)

Offline tEAbAG

Your one-stop shop for overly literal FS geek questions
Subspace is the only thing that makes intersteller communications viable.  We use it, the Vasudans use it, and so do the shivans.  I think the "Comm Nodes" were for something a little bit more long range than a star to star transmission.  The energy through subspace idea is an interesting idea.  Maybe the Saths are relay devices for huge amounts of energy(like the amount to destroy a star).
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Originally posted by tEAbAG
Subspace is the only thing that makes intersteller communications viable.  We use it, the Vasudans use it, and so do the shivans.  I think the "Comm Nodes" were for something a little bit more long range than a star to star transmission.  The energy through subspace idea is an interesting idea.  Maybe the Saths are relay devices for huge amounts of energy(like the amount to destroy a star).

Yeah, I know that subspace is the base of communications for all the species, I just stated the part in my post about communications rather badly.  I was thinking of a more involved communications as in, as I said, a hive mind.  Comm nodes could indeed be for extremely long range communications, but they could ALSO be devices designed to relay HUGE amounts of information through subspace (I think a hive mind would require substantual bandwidth[:p]).  Of course, they could be for both purposes too.

But, if communications through subspace is possible, I would think that transmitting power through it should be possible too.  After all, the subspace signal would have to transmit energy too.  It's like the difference between a phone line and a power line.  They both use the same/similiar media, and they both carry energy, but they serve very different purposes...

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Points to species 8472 :eek2:

Have people also considered its unexplanatory in this day and age of technology and sciences. Maybe we have yet to advance, especially in science area to understand the workings of a fictionous storyline partially based on small pockets of science.

Then we will truly grasp the concept and workings of the Shivans OR we can wait for Adam to come up with more great storyline - whichever way goes that both take a long time...

Shivans probably are purely robotic creatures with a higly advanced AI system (looking from MindGames point of view). So, GE's idea is probably the best, with the Shivans being powered by some sort of emergency power cell with main energy source from some sort of subspace pulses. The ship could be constantly emitting some sort of pulse stream which could be used by the Shivans. Are the Shivans easily captured when the ship is disabled?:confused:
The Apocalypse Has Begun!!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They aren't robotic in MG. More like a normal species that have been hardwired to have a single main goal.

As for the Shivans being easily captured once a ship is disabled. Have you seen Hall Fight (an FS1 cutscene in which marines board a shivan ship and get slaughtered)? I think the answer is a resounding no. They aren't easy to capture.

But anyway I'm glad that even people new to the board have heard of us :)

Welcome to HLP Apocalypse. They'll be people wondering by in a bit to shoot you with the welcoming beam. If you haven't already have a quick look at my FAQ. There's a lot of stuff in there that would be helpful to someone new to the community or game.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2003, 02:30:25 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

They aren't robotic in MG. More like a normal species that have been hardwired to have a single main goal.

Oops! You are right! And, no, I haven't seen Hall Fight. I never did have FS1.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Pity. It's one of the best cutscenes in FS1 or FS2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
But anyway I'm glad that even people new to the board have heard of us :)

I've been browsing FreeSpaceWatch & HLP long before joining the forums. ;)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
ok, just for fun, since I'm fed up with this one:
I challenge anybody to find pics or videos of shivans bouncing or running off/on the walls. watch the hall fight cutscene again, folks :doubt:. they sometimes grab the ceiling. period.
end of parenthesys.
as for the energy, I think V just didn't care, as much as there's no room for energy in a T800 or a T1000, or a nuke reactor in a battlemech, or any kind of engine in a tie fighter ( ion engine, yeah right, things as big as a TV? geeze, the Xwing is so ridiculous next to that then ).
as soon as consistancy goes, freespace is just loosy.
SCREW CANON!

Offline tEAbAG

Maybe they just eat.  Why not?  Simple, yet effective.
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
With what mouth?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
With what mouth?

with the one you haven't seen but might be there? I challenge you to find the mouth of a spider for exemple :p ( heh, I challenge a lot :p )
SCREW CANON!

Nope. I say they are cyborgs, albeit primarily machine than creature. If you want a more biological explanation, the mechanical system could artificially produce the required bioingredients for the creature to absorb and utilize. The waste products could be converted into energy for the robotic sections. We already know the Shivans are using highly efficient subspace drives, so why can't they have highly efficient batteries?