Author Topic: Is FS2 dead?  (Read 18472 times)

checking at the BWO forum at the VWBB kindda confirms what I believe. Even if the guys there say it's done soon, where is the enthousiasm people were showing at the begining?

:D

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Sure shows how much the forum climate's changed over the past almost 2 decades.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It has changed?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Definitely.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

*Guy on page 3 talking about "forced labour" and cancelling solo projects in favour of larger community projects.*

*People agreeing with him*

:wtf:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They were not enlightened times.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Quote from: Unenlightened Times
Finally any community project can't be based in the FS2 universe.

*Laughs in Blue Planet, Between the Ashes, ST:R, Inferno, Derelict. . . .
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:07:02 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Derelict was already released for 3 years or so when the topic was started.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
*Guy on page 3 talking about "forced labour" and cancelling solo projects in favour of larger community projects.*

*People agreeing with him*

:wtf:

Ah yes, let's all dump our own aspirations and motivations and creativity just to bring out the big content for the players because modders are just work slaves.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The interesting thing about old discussions such as the one we're posting in right now is the fact that - judging from what I see here - people used to have this sort of obsession for delivering a mod that was supposed to serve as a substitute to FS3.

By the time I joined this community (May 10th, 2006), forum climate had changed completely. Right now, it's even further away from these obsessions.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Quote from: Unenlightened Times
Finally any community project can't be based in the FS2 universe.

*Laughs in Blue Planet, Between the Ashes, ST:R, Inferno, Derelict. . . .

None of those are a community project. The idea of a community project was to get everybody to work on the same project together. The fact that there are so many good FS2 campaigns is actually pretty much what I'd argued FOR, not AGAINST.

Besides if you can point out a better space shooter that will be out by next year I might be playing that instead but until something better than FS2 comes along I don't have anything to replace it with.

I am both happy and disappointed that this statement is just as true now as it was when I said it in 2003.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:34:47 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The interesting thing about old discussions such as the one we're posting in right now is the fact that - judging from what I see here - people used to have this sort of obsession for delivering a mod that was supposed to serve as a substitute to FS3.

By the time I joined this community (May 10th, 2006), forum climate had changed completely. Right now, it's even further away from these obsessions.

These sort of campaigns and mods would probably exist as isolated solo projects, since they don't seem to garner as much traction in the community as they used to.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest I'm glad that attitude seems to have finally gone away. I love the way the community has basically decided that all visions of a post-Capella campaign are equally valid and ruthlessly stomp out any claims that some (such as Blue Planet) should be thought of as being the community's vision of what FS3 would be like.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
Old as this thread may be, I find the question humorous. FS2 isn't an MMO or anything; it's one those games that's supposed to die out. The release of the source code along with expansive modding tools and the emergence of a dedicated community kept it alive well later than is normal for these types of game.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Old as this thread may be, I find the question humorous. FS2 isn't an MMO or anything; it's one those games that's supposed to die out. The release of the source code along with expansive modding tools and the emergence of a dedicated community kept it alive well later than is normal for these types of game.

I find the idea of Freespace being dead especially humorous in light of the fact that we have all of the recent graphics upgrades as well as Mjn's new and improved versions of almost ALL the cutscenes in both FS1 and FS2. My own opinion (FWIW) is that Freespace is not dead at all but is in fact experiencing a revival of sorts. Hell, it may be a revival appreciated only by a small group of longtime Freespace fans, but it's a whole hell of a lot more than anyone would have gotten if Freespace was just an ordinary space sim that never got its source code released or never had a modding community.

I just had a conversation with an old friend of mine who played Freespace with me back in 1998 and 1999 and told him about the recent developments here, especially the new MediaVPs and Mjn's new cutscenes. He hasn't played the game in years, but he did seem intrigued enough to check out the stuff here soon. I can't wait to point out my particular easter eggs in the new Colossus cutscene to him. :D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind

I find the idea of Freespace being dead especially humorous in light of the fact that we have all of the recent graphics upgrades as well as Mjn's new and improved versions of almost ALL the cutscenes in both FS1 and FS2. My own opinion (FWIW) is that Freespace is not dead at all but is in fact experiencing a revival of sorts. Hell, it may be a revival appreciated only by a small group of longtime Freespace fans, but it's a whole hell of a lot more than anyone would have gotten if Freespace was just an ordinary space sim that never got its source code released or never had a modding community.

I just had a conversation with an old friend of mine who played Freespace with me back in 1998 and 1999 and told him about the recent developments here, especially the new MediaVPs and Mjn's new cutscenes. He hasn't played the game in years, but he did seem intrigued enough to check out the stuff here soon. I can't wait to point out my particular easter eggs in the new Colossus cutscene to him. :D

That's a good point, and also something (I think) true of most any game released with modding capabilities. Communities for these games by and large remain extant to some degree, long after native development has ceased. Other examples I can point to would be Skyrim and... that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think FS was actually closer to dying 10-15 years ago than it is today. At the time this thread was created, I think we had lots of campaigns hosted here but barely anything had been actually released, while today there are tons of campaigns and content people have made. There are more media articles on FS and its community in the last few years than I've ever seen in past, like this and this, and there seems to be increased interest in old games in general with a lot of remasters coming out. FS also has no modern successor that improves upon it in every way, unlike many other games of that era, which has kept up interest in the game.

We all had our own ideas of how the FS story was supposed to continue. The game was fairly easy to mod and came out right around the time when internet forums were first becoming popular and led to communities built around specific games.  The story was captivating back then but had a cliffhanger ending, which sparked a lot of discussion on here (and the VBB before it) that inspired people to create whatever vision they had in mind.