Author Topic: Why slash beams?  (Read 3846 times)

I was always curious about something.  What is the explaination for slash beams?  I mean, there seems to be little purpose to them.  I don't mean as in gameplay or anything, but why would the Terrans or Vasudans use slash beams, when they could just use standard, non-slash beams?

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but is there an official explaination for this?  I have my own idea, but I want to hear your guy's first.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Think like modern vessels, does an iceberg do more damage by hitting the flank of a ship at a 90 degree angle and punching a hole in the side, or does an iceberg do more damage by scraping along the flank and carving a nice long gash in the side?  Tis my impression at least.

A more practical explanation would probably be that it looks cool.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Punching a hole in the ship may not cause any problems if you don't go through any vital systems. Carving a gash down the side on the other hand means that that entire area has to be sealed cutting off a larger area of the ship.

Basically you're trading the chance of a lucky hit against something important against crippling the entire ship.

Secondly slashers have a better chance of wiping out turrets on the enemy ship so that it can't shoot back at you :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
And its kinda impressive to watch them rake along the side of a target. Cool factor and all that (don't say a word Sandwich, I know. Its ironic, ain't it?)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Onlooker answer: they look damn cool!:thepimp:

teh FS geek: it's a heating issue, if the beams move it helps dissapate the heat faster.

game designer: the beams eat a lot of frames on the really slow machines and thus if you have a beam that fires for less time you get a better light show for less system usage.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

OK, those sound like good explainations...

The last "geek" explaination is closest to what I had in mind.  Technical problems might have made sweeping beams easier to control/stabilize for the smaller ships.  Though, I was kinda thinking that slash beams are older tech, with the larger, immobile beams being newer with improved tech.

I also had a different idea, regarding Shivan beam/reactor tech...  Perhaps they use subspace tech to stabilize their beams, giving them that smooth look.  This would result in a subspace signature in the beam, that adds damage by directly destabilizing atomic bonds at the target.  The added stability means that they can fire their beams longer.  The added damage means they don't have to use as high power beams as we do to achieve the same effect, and so they can fire more often.  Added together, it means that, though probably more advanced than ours, Shivan reactors need not be THAT much more advanced.  It's not always how MUCH you put out the front end, it's how you put it out that counts...

Well, that's my idea for Shivan tech:p

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
In a realistic sense slash beams should only be used against lightly armored targets, where much of a regular beam would be wasted. To have billions/trillions of watts pounding down on an ship may be cool, but once the beam vaporizes everything in its path it'll punch through the other side and and billions of joules of energy are wasted (or happen to hit a hapless ship on the other side).

A heavily armored ship would take a huge amount of power to tear through so you need regular beams there to provide that concentrated energy. On a lightly armored ship the armor would cumple like paper so best to spread that energy out and tear up as much hull as possible. Idealy slash beams should zig-zag to do the most damage.

Another abstract idea I have is that instead of bothering to physically rip open the hull, simply heat it up so that the people inside would deep fry. :drevil:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 11:14:32 pm by 783 »

Are you kidding? LTerSlash can't even destroy heavy fighters if they get nicked by it. Surely it can't do much more than scorch grafitti into most capital ship armour?

TerSlash isn't that much more powerful, and most of the time a good portion of the beam output is wasted. Compare that with a point to point beam straight through the front of the Orion - punch through that outer hull armour and you'd be able to bore a nice kilometer long tunnel straight through it. :)

What I consider the reason for slash beams is to suppress turrets and other weaker, smaller external subsystems.

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by karajorma
Punching a hole in the ship may not cause any problems if you don't go through any vital systems. Carving a gash down the side on the other hand means that that entire area has to be sealed cutting off a larger area of the ship.

All right... take the BFGreen, or just the BGreen for that matter. It punches through one point in the hull, causing that much damage to that single point. Now, most caps have two or more of these kinds of beams on each side, so two large holes in an Orion is a nightmare for Engineering. Plus, it utterly vaporizes whatever was there, and most captains have the good sense to target subsystems on a ship than fire at some randomly-selected point.

Plus, take into account that slash beams aren't large enough to cause to much focused damage. Take the woman in high heel shoes vs the elephant. The woman does more pressure because her force is exerted on a tighter area. Same goes for big beams. They focus their energy at one point, causing more damage (and a sexy blow-through effect) on a ship.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Meh, a better question is: Why do capships use laserturrets (like TerranHeavyTurret that fires once every 20 seconds :doubt: )?

I mean, in FS1 it was understandable. But in FS2 they do little to no damage to caps, lasers are easily avoided by fighters and bombers and even if they hit the damage on a fighter is neglectable unless you are it 20 times in a row (which is highly unlikely).
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Tiara
Meh, a better question is: Why do capships use laserturrets (like TerranHeavyTurret that fires once every 20 seconds :doubt: )?

They must look fancy, I guess. Plus, if a pilot has to evade a laser shot, they also have to look out for the blue-anti-fighter-beam-of-death powering up right beside it.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by nuclear1

They must look fancy, I guess. Plus, if a pilot has to evade a laser shot, they also have to look out for the blue-anti-fighter-beam-of-death powering up right beside it.

Meh,

1). They look like blobs of slime to me.
2). I don't avoid them as they do too little damage to be concerned about.
3). AAA turrets are my first target with nice long range trebs so they are no real threat ;)

AAA beam turrets must use a lot of power. Think about it - you have to produce a coherent stream of photons over dozens of kilometers which is still powerful enough to punch through a fighter's shields and cause severe damage to the hull. Laser and missile turrets are far more economical in power usage, and laser turrets don't need ammo, either.

What puzzles me about beam turrets is why the main guns aren't used against fighters. You might be able to wipe out an entire wing with one brief blast of an Orion's main gun, for example. Of course, that would make attacking capital ships impossible. :)

Offline Solatar

I think Subach HL-7's would be a bit more effective than the slimeballs the caps put out now.

Of course Kaysers would be really nice.

Offline diamondgeezer

DaveB says:
Slash beams pick two points from two different octants of a given ship and move between them. This allows them to occasionally miss their target, or overshoot, or shoot too early. There's a list of something like 10 or so good octant pairs to move between when blasting a ship. Not that this really matters to mission designers...".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by nuclear1

All right... take the BFGreen, or just the BGreen for that matter. It punches through one point in the hull, causing that much damage to that single point. Now, most caps have two or more of these kinds of beams on each side, so two large holes in an Orion is a nightmare for Engineering. Plus, it utterly vaporizes whatever was there, and most captains have the good sense to target subsystems on a ship than fire at some randomly-selected point.

Plus, take into account that slash beams aren't large enough to cause to much focused damage.

Didn't you see the second part of my arguement? Slashers take out more opposing turrets as well as raking damage across the surface of the ship. Put the two effects together and you have a weapon that is quite effective.

Considering the different uses of the two beams it seems sensible that the GTVA would use both. A beam that does damage to a large area of the ship (i.e the slasher) and one that does much greater localised damage.

As for punching holes in enemy ships you can't really claim that a slasher doesn't cut into the hull far enough to cause problems as the FS2 engine never had geo-mod so we will never know :D Most likely neither beam actually causes a huge amount of internal damage because an Orion at 5% hull is just as dangerous as an Orion at 100% (just for a shorter period of time :D ) Nothing on the inside appears to have been remotely damaged by the hull strength being reduced by 95%
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
although it should. :doubt: But I'll take what I can get with a 5 year old engine.

Either way, they look cool. The only reason why they don't seem to do a lot of damage though is because they usually don't hit the ship more than a little while the rest flies off into space (i.e. Vertically slashing an Orion)

What would be cool is a slasher that does extradamage to subsystems or a slasher that does uber-damage, so it seems like a BGreen but it still has all the downfalls of a TerSlash.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

they rock at shooting down bombs
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by PhReAk

they rock at shooting down bombs

:wtf:

They never shot down a bomb that I fired. Sure, AAA and flak turrets did, but not those slow moving blobs of slime....

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

:wtf:

They never shot down a bomb that I fired. Sure, AAA and flak turrets did, but not those slow moving blobs of slime....

Mine got shot down by laser blobs also. Not as much as AAA or flak but they did.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.