Circe
6 (14.3%)
I use tactical weapons when they are default
4 (9.5%)
I never use tactical weapons
12 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: June 22, 2003, 09:21:04 am

Author Topic: Tactical weapons  (Read 9348 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I am continously having doubts about the usage of tactical weapons. How often do you use tactical weapons and which? I find them weak, and their effect is not always 'advantage bringer'. Like the Morning Star, it pushes the hit craft quickly away, but it also increases the distance between you and the other, and this makes the craft unhittable sometimes. Lamprey is good against shields, but has no effect on anything else etc.

Please vote!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 04:40:30 pm by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I wouldn't count the ahkerton with the other tactical weapons. If you are disabling a small craft you have no choice but to use it or you'll end up blowing the ship up.

I pretty much ignore the others.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Morning Star is okay when you are facing really small and fast things like Dragons and is one of the best multiplayer weapons, but not very good otherwise. In the main campaign it is the only effective weapon you get aside from the Subach for a couple of missions however so I use it there. The Circe is only any good in connection with the Maxim, but this combination can be quite powerful. The Lamprey is completely useless in singleplayer and is best used in multiplayer TvT or dogfight games only. As for the Akheton, same thing as karajorma for me; it is good in missions where you have to disable things without destroying them.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think tactical weapons are pretty neat... I always tended to focus on the most powerful weapon possible (usually the Kayser IIRC), but stuff like the Lamprey really come into their own in combination - i.e. slowing a ship to a halt, then firing off a hornet.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by CP5670
The Morning Star is okay when you are facing really small and fast things like Dragons and is one of the best multiplayer weapons, but not very good otherwise. In the main campaign it is the only effective weapon you get aside from the Subach for a couple of missions however so I use it there. The Circe is only any good in connection with the Maxim, but this combination can be quite powerful. The Lamprey is completely useless in singleplayer and is best used in multiplayer TvT or dogfight games only. As for the Akheton, same thing as karajorma for me; it is good in missions where you have to disable things without destroying them.
I would only further emphasise the value of the Maxim and Circe combination.  It is the most versatile and useful loadout I know.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
So uh, what's not tactical about the Kayser or Maxim? or both? ;7
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Maxim and Kayser are designed to just plain destroy things.  Tactical weapons are meant to do other stuff.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Name once weapon better than the Maxim for disable capship subsystems.  You can completely disarm a ship in less than 3 minutes thus rendering it a really big target.  

The only ship this doesn't apply to is the Sath, and it's really just an unbalancer because the GTVA has got better ships over all, the Sath's Neutronium hull is it only major advantage.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
:wtf: Neutronium hull? Where did you get that?

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Somehow I don't see the effectiveness of the Morning Star. It has low damage, but good rate of fire.

Why is the Lamprey useless? Great to disable shields in the stages of a campaign, when Circe or Kaysers are not available. I like it. It is also good to minimize the target's weapons and engine power(also usable against the Ai!)

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Knight Templar
So uh, what's not tactical about the Kayser or Maxim? or both? ;7

Tactical weapons are to do low damage instead, it has another use, like disabling subsystems, distrupt targeting(disables aspect-locking on bombers, etc.) or any other non-destructive roles.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Morning Star is terrific on defensive missions. Perfect for harassing bombers at long range, weakening their shields, slowing their advance, making them lose target lock. Then you can use its fire rate and range to shoot down any bombs they manage to squeeze off.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
has anyone ever played with an EMP cannon (modded of corse), those things are great for holding off bombers, BWO as one that's good against shields and subsystems as well as keeping you're victom from paying atention to anything for long
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

hell yeah!  one of my favorite weaps is the EMP torpedo!! :D

I love the sound it makes as it streaks off towards the offending bomb then plays with its head :)
it's funny to see a torpedo floating in space doing nothing

bob
Hippie. n. a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Surely, MS has many practical uses in Multi/TvT.

I mainly use it to:
-prevent opponents from acquiring aspect locks from distance
-distract incoming primary/tempest fire (unless it's an erin with dual kaysers+temps :)  )
-stop those annoying faster/more maneuverable fighters flying circles around me (it's hard to get the first shot in, though :)  )

The whole idea of HercII/multi would be wrecked without MS, IMO.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Circe is my favorite because it works sooooo well in combination with the Maxim. Extremely effective against Nephilims and Seraphims--they're dead before they can get anywhere near you.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
I actually take the Kayser over the Circe. For 1 less shield damage, you get 6 hull damage and IIRC, eats less power. That and if you don't want to use the Maxim at the moment, you can switch it off and still be able to kill things.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Don't have a look at 'Level x Shield damage' It is not done so fine, doesn't show the true effectiveness of a weapon.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
IIRC the Circe has MUCH greater range than the Kayser.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
What's IIRC?