Author Topic: tertiary weapons  (Read 18704 times)

Amazingly cool! Shame SCP builds always run really slowly on my PC no matter what renderer I use. :(

Sid.

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Arrgh, here we go again. Sid my pedigree chum, cap ships only fire their flak, AAA and what have you at other caps if they have no fighters or bombers in their range or field of fire.

Uhhh... yeah?

That's not the point. When (real-life) warships engage each other they don't turn every weapon they can possibly bring to bear on each other. You don't see people on deck with rifles or anti-aircraft gunners trying to shoot the hull of an opposing vessel. THAT's why I want such a flag - to stop it altogether for weapons of an inappropriate 'calibre'.

You also don't take into account the refire rates of some anti-fighter weapons. Even though they may re-designate their targets when fighters come into range, if an AAAf has just fired it leaves a good 15 seconds before it can fire again. Another reason why this tag would be good. ^_^

Sid.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
holy cow! that gives stealth a new meaning LMAO
I hate My signature!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Bobboau
does that use texture stageing (multi-texture)?
does it interfere with glow maps at all?
what exactly did you do to do that?

A1: yes
A2: no
A3: when the cloak effect starts, i generate a random 2d vector.  this is the direction the "animation" will play.  each frame the texture matrix is translated in that direction.  when the ship is cloaking in or out, the cloakmap is placed in stage 2 multitexture (0=main skin, 1=glowmap).  however, some cards don't support 3 multitexture units so i had it emulate the effect if the card didn't support what i wanted it to do. if the ship is fully cloaked, then i use the MR_FORCE_TEXTURE flag in model_render() where i set the forced texture to the cloakmap.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i've uploaded a new version. you can uncloak now by hitting tilde + x again.
i also enabled a two more debug keys

cycle soundtrack up: ~ + up arrow
cycle soundtrack down: ~ + down arrow
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
AMAZING! SIMPLY AMAZING! I WANT THAT!

And Sid...actually in WW2 some warship used whatever they had against the enemy.

The Prince of Whales even used all of his big caliber guns to shoot at jap bombers (yes, even the 360mm ones!!)..

Or in another situation, before the ships got radars, two battle groups allmost bumped into eachother during the night. The ships were so close they fired with everything they had at eachother. Ships are armoured, but not everywhere, and not with the same armour thickness....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Trashman has a valid point - though some of the weapons would be entierl useless.

That's also the reason why I support a little bit randomized damage.

If damage was calculated like in a role-playing game, than it would add a refreshing feeling of "by pure chance" and "bad luck" to the game.
Damage=Base damage on hit*0.1...1.1
When the damage is beyond 1.0*BDam then a special roll should be made.
So special damage=BDam*1...100.
If SDam>BDam*80 then the subsystem is always blown
If SDam>BDam*100 then the ship is killed (huge ships may simply have to suffer from the damage), further criteria could be that, the fighter has to target a vital subsytem like the engines or weapons.

A realistic armor model could also fit nicely with the idea.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
does this mean we get a little console that tells us when we have made a critical hit... and how much expersience (or browned pants) we have gained...:D

Hercules Mark 2 +6 "Arrigeth the Shiv hunter"
Originaly just a standard Herc Mk2 that rolled of the production line in the second war with the Shivans. It went to a pilot that hand the designation 'Alpha 1' for a few weeks. In that time the unamed pilot killed several hundered Shivan vessals and saved several thousand lives aswell as a number of crusiers, corvettes and even destoyers all by him self! Alas this mesteryous pilot was never seen again after the trouble finished. This lead some to form a cult around the pilot - they say he came from the 'out side' but that is another story. The pilots fighter was recovered however and it is belived to have been imbued with Alpha 1's skill as any pilot that uses it ALWAYS comes back from a mission (it is almost as if they redo the event until they do it right but this is just theory).

Can only be used by: Pilots
Can only be used by: Terrans

Item Ability: Unlimited mission retrys
Item Ability: +10 Inteligence
Item Ability: -10 Wisdome
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
say that cloaking effect would be cool to see on larger ships, like orions and the like..

Imagine a ravana decloaking in front of you:shaking:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
What I meant was that your shots would do a bit more and bit less damage most of the time.

Sometimes it would be noticeable that they don't do any whatsoever damage - it would be like every 100'th bomb or so that you release won't do as much damage as what you would expect.

On the other hand somtimes firing a subach on a Ravanna could cripple one of its turrets with a single blow, and 1 in a 1000 chances are, that you could send a Cain to the great blackness beyond with a singe hit.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Originally posted by TrashMan
AMAZING! SIMPLY AMAZING! I WANT THAT!

And Sid...actually in WW2 some warship used whatever they had against the enemy.

The Prince of Whales even used all of his big caliber guns to shoot at jap bombers (yes, even the 360mm ones!!)..

Or in another situation, before the ships got radars, two battle groups allmost bumped into eachother during the night. The ships were so close they fired with everything they had at eachother. Ships are armoured, but not everywhere, and not with the same armour thickness....

Which warship?

I wasn't aware of your second point but it made a lot of sense to use main weapons against smaller targets if there were no larger ones around. If an 18" shell explodes in mid-air the shockwave is going to be enormous... and given how flimsy aircraft were (and still are) they'd be torn apart by a lucky hit.

Yeah, traditional ships of the era tend to be heavily armoured on the underside to protect against torpedo hits. But FS2 ships are fully armoured all round. If defensive (i.e. anti-fighter) weapons targeted turrets and so on they'd be somewhat useful, but as they stand they rarely aim for anything but the hull.

Sid.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Actually FS warships don't really have any sense of precision strikes.
Adding a new sexp would benefit everyone:
-Ai-attack-subsytem
-Firebeam-subsystem - would be even better.

Connected with taging it could turn out a fairly nice element.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Flaser
-Firebeam-subsystem - would be even better.

Already exists. The Fire-Beam SEXP takes an optional 4th option to target a subsystem.

Unless what you want is AI-Beam-Target-Subsystem which makes a certain beam fire at a certain target in preference to anything else.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Finally a use for those TAG missiles.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The later would be even better, but I hear the Ai code upgrade is the most sought after, and probably also one of the hardest things for the SCP.
I hadn't noticed the first since I'm not really into FREDing, maybe I should have checked the sexp thread more often:D

BTW - This stuff is great!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by SadisticSid

Which warship?

I wasn't aware of your second point but it made a lot of sense to use main weapons against smaller targets if there were no larger ones around. If an 18" shell explodes in mid-air the shockwave is going to be enormous... and given how flimsy aircraft were (and still are) they'd be torn apart by a lucky hit.

Now now....B-17's, IL-2's, and P-47's were noteable for their heavy armor and incredible resilance to damage (there are stories of P-47's cliping telephone poles with their wings and flying back to England from occupied France making clean landings and the pilot landing without injury).

I'd say most modern day aircraft could not take the beating that some of the old WWII aircraft could.  They were designed to take damage.  What new aircraft tend to do is minimize non-lethal damage...but if you get hit with a missile or blasted with a proximity warhead it doesn't matter how much armor you've got...your plane is going to have a serious hole in it.  Even the A-10's with titanium bathtubs for the pilot and reinforced armor virtually everywhere is going to get smoked by a missile.

WWII aircraft I think are much more sturdy than present day :)

Same with the ships...if a WWII battleship ever got into firing range of a Triconderoga missile cruiser, it'd get a pasting of a lifetime...on the other hand, the Triconderoga could probably smoke a battleship at 200 miles out :D

Sorry I'm rambling.  What I think you actually want is a priority system?  SO that heavy pulse weapons would put a priority on a cruiser instead of a small fighter while small guns would put a priority on small fighters instead of cruisers?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Originally posted by IceFire

Now now....B-17's, IL-2's, and P-47's were noteable for their heavy armor and incredible resilance to damage (there are stories of P-47's cliping telephone poles with their wings and flying back to England from occupied France making clean landings and the pilot landing without injury).

Yeah, but if it got hit by a 15-inch shell at about a thousand mph... Splat!

Same with the ships...if a WWII battleship ever got into firing range of a Triconderoga missile cruiser, it'd get a pasting of a lifetime...on the other hand, the Triconderoga could probably smoke a battleship at 200 miles out :D
[/B]

Erm, not unless it had nukes. A modern anti-ship missile (like a Harpoon or an Excocet) wouldn't do much more than scorch the paint on a battleship - the warhead isn't big enough. They're designed to penetrate a modern ship's thin hull (no armour) and blow up all the delicate stuff inside. Battleships were designed to take multiple strikes from chunks of explosive weighing over a tonne, moving at supersonic speed. A missile can't deliver anything like that amount of energy onto a target.

Sorry, I'm being picky, I know. I read a book about this, a sort of crime-thriller type thing. Worth reading - it's called "Iron Man", by John Watson. It's about a fictional Soviet battleship called the Stalin. 85000 tonnes, 22-inch guns, two feet of armour, 35 knots cruising speed. Scary...

Click me
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
deck armor on surface ships isn't (or wasn't) the most heavily armored part of a ship.  give it 1 or 2 5000lb bunker busters on the deck . and any air-air missile would waste a p-47, b-17, or il-2
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
the b17 had a crappy hull, the bullets went right through it ( if that's not enough, I've been in one of them, and you can just tell that this 1 mm thick sheet of metal is nothing like armor ). The thing is that the bullets would just go through the armor, and nothing else. B17 fell most often because of ruined engines or slaughtered crew.
That's obviously not an option in space :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Venom
the b17 had a crappy hull, the bullets went right through it ( if that's not enough, I've been in one of them, and you can just tell that this 1 mm thick sheet of metal is nothing like armor ). The thing is that the bullets would just go through the armor, and nothing else. B17 fell most often because of ruined engines or slaughtered crew.
That's obviously not an option in space :p

Not plausible?

If you were a soldier or officer, probably not.
If you were and engeneer or manager probably not.
But if you were a crappy badass politician stuffing his own pocket...porbably yes.
This is not too probable in the military driven GTVA or the battle hardened GTA, but some pre TVWar era could have ships like that.