Author Topic: tertiary weapons  (Read 18702 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Im against participating in bumped topics, but the Meson bombs had a destructive radius of 3000 meters.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

2000 or 3000 that's enough distance that 30 seconds isn't really enough to drop one and get out of range (not to mention the long delay means everyone can shoot down the meson bomb easily).

However, it's still a good idea to have some kind of bomb that can be dropped.  I've always thought that stuff like Pirrahnas would be a lot more effective if they could be dropped behind the ship (kinda like smart bombs in Descent). since I'm usually trying to get rid of fighters on my tail, whereas fighters in front of me I can shoot down myself.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Something like mines would be extremely useful.  It's a little hard to know exactly what's behind you unless you have it targeted, but it's not a really big deal in the long run.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Which is why I chose a pirrahna over a smart bomb.  Smart bombs detonate in proximity but that's really hard to achieve in wide open space.  A pirranha would explode and splay out the heat seekers and help me lose a tail.

Offline terren

I put the 1K range in for ballence, and becuse I know how large the origonal Meson bomb is,  you'd have to scale it down for it to even fit on a fighter, so I scaled down the range also, anyway you only get one, and your more likely to take out all your wingmen and your suport ship then you are to be effective with it, it's more a weapon of last resort.  

any one going to comment on the subspace teliporter?  you all jumped on the obvus ideas, and noone commented on anything else,

on another note, anyone want to see rear mounted heat seakers?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 12:17:32 am by 1086 »
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Hippo
Im against participating in bumped topics, but the Meson bombs had a destructive radius of 3000 meters.

How about a mim-meson bomb? It would have a smaller blast radius.
I find I hard to swallow the idea of a fighter carrying the real thing!

Rear mounted missiles! Cool!

How about a acid fume? You know - the fighter releases a trail of some strong acid and the enemy that follows get's his hull eaten away!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Ok this thread has been stickied by Sandwich since i'm linking it to a Wiki post. (http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Weapons%20changes)

I would like some comments and such about the more descriptive explanations regarding tertiary weapons.  Please try to stay on topic and keep the discussion civil and relvant.  I want ideas on how its going to affect gameplay in both directions and how to counter any extreme advantages an ability would give the player *eyes the super jammer*.  I highly doubt i'll get any of this done by 3.6 is released so please be patient.

NEW IDEAS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 06:10:19 pm by 31 »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Cloaking device: cloaks the player ship, and effectively drains about all the energy that is available. Once all energy is spent (if you fire your weapons that will be pretty soon) you will be forced to uncloak. Also, firing any weapons will have the ship be only semi-cloaked for a couple of seconds. It will also steal all the shield energy while active. The Cloak device automatically powers down after a certain amount of time.

advantages:
- you cannot be targetted
- AI will not attack you
- you're practically invisible

disadvantages:
- ALL energy will be drained (set to 50% then slowly decharging)
- Once one energy bar drops to 0 (afterburn OR weapons) you will uncloak
- While in Cloak, you do not have shields.
- Shooting shows you as a fuzzy blip on the radar and you'll lose much energy.

Boost Pod: allows the player to get immense speed for a set time duration. Once activated, the boost can only be stopped on either 50% or 100% spent fuel. The Boost Pod will be visible on the ship model, as some boxy thing mounted where the engines are (where normally the thrusters are). When it's spent it will explode off. It will speed you up to at least 400 M/s, but it will GREATLY decrease your turning abilities for that time, and while you do not use the boost pod it will slow down your acceleration / deceleration as well as turning speeds. Also, if someone shoots the pod, your death wont be far.

advantages:
- get to distant battles quickly, shake off enemy fighters.
- bombing runs ;7

disadvantages:
- You can only stop it on 50%, or wait for it to finish (you almost never hit the direct spot you wanted to go)
- While active, you can almost only go straight ahead.
- When Inactive, your ships turns slower and takes longer to speed up and down
- When the Pod is shot the whole fuel explodes. That's not too good for your health.

Mine Dropper: Drops Mines. Mines are some sort of missile with a very long life time. They can be shot, and they also explode when you ram into them. Alternatively, there's mines that have a remote detonate trigger. Mines can be set up in weapons.tbl and you can individually load out your mine dropper. The mines (although pretty small most of the time) take away your secondary capacity.

advantages:
- use mines

disadvantages:
- less secondary weapons (depending on how much and large mines you can and want to load out)

Custom turret: puts a turret on the model, which will fire at any enemy in range. It can be loaded out with whatever gun is set compatible for the device (even beam guns if you want to).

advantages:
- you have a turret

disadvantages:
- drains your weapon energy
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
hmm i like the idea of a bolt on turret.  The only problem is that you're going to have to specify where it goes on the model.  and were going to need a turret model and boost pod model.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 09:36:05 am by 31 »
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
turret model will be place on the ship's support docking point.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Thruster Verniers:small wing like appendages are attached near the engine, they have an actual thruster inside that drains the main engine like a leech and allow greater mobility and speed. At default the wings are aligned with the ships body, when switched on they open like the petals of a flower allowing greater manuvering ability - if it is possible they should move to show their actual effect on the thrust.

advantages:
- higher top speed
- better manuveribility

disadvantages:
- the engine uses more energy so recharge of systems will be slower
- inertia increases, the ship will behave differently
- once destroyed the overall performance of the engine will be lower than that of a craft without verniers
- they increase your target profile and make you more visible
- AB power will decreese more rapidly.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Wow, this idea must have sprung up while I wasn't here. Great initiative. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea i told sandy to sticky it since i'm starting to divert attention to it now that HT&L is stable
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Beowulf

A1 thread! Keep up that good work and ideas!
Never Forget

"It is always better to avenge dear ones than to induldge in mourning. For every one of us, living in this world means waiting for our end. Let whoever can win glory before death. When a warrior is gone, that will be his best and only bulwark."
                               --Beowulf

"... and no, real life sex is not just a myth. You just need to come out of your house once every while..." ~Tiara

YeeeeHoooooh! is the mood of the day. :p

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i'm thinking about adding another chunk to the POF format to allow for boost pod, bolt-on turret, and mine layer models to be attached to the model at specified coordinates.  i doubt vanilla FS2 isn't going to like that, but who still uses that ;)
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Hey everyone, this is my first post at these boards.

My idea for a tertiary attachment is this:
a large caliber slug thrower/railgun/massdriver

A huge cannon that fires large projectiles over huge ranges that do huge damage.

Pros:
1. Lots of damage dealt by direct hit.
2. Long range
3. Rather fast (probably somewhere between the speed of the normal weapons and the missiles) projectile speed so it would be hard to destroy it.

Cons:
1. the magnetic rails drains large/huge ammounts of weapon energy.
2. Because of the slugs huge size you could be limited to 1 or 2 of them (if 2 then there would be a long reloading time between shots).
3. (rather minor probably) No splash damage.
possibly 4. Recoil, as someone suggested further up.
possibly 5. When you fire the engines go offline due to  stress on the ship systems from the recoil and the magnetic rails create a weak EM field for a short duration, engines go online in about 5 seconds after firing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 06:05:07 pm by 1634 »
(\_/)
(Oo) This is Rabbit. Copy Rabbit into your signature and help Rabbit to World dominance.
(>< ) The Rabbit has done a lot for you lately. It is not your place to question the Rabbit

Offline Solatar

Cruise Engine-Like a second afterburner

Pros:
High-speed (400m/s or something)

Cons:
weapons inoperative
maybe the maneuverability halved?

Offline mnftg64

do you have these things up for download yet?

Offline Solatar

No, he's just looking for ideas so right now as far as I know.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea i'm going to start once 3.6 is done.

Solatar: playing Freelancer lately? i'll add that to the wiki list
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord