Author Topic: High-School Math  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The quadratic forumla we learned was -b + The square root of B^2-4AC, all divided by 2.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
that's the one.

Then there's the simplified one:

-p/2+-sqr.rt.of (p/2)Ž2-q

Which is used when the equation is in the form of

xŽ2+px+q=0

That can also be solved using the Viete theorem.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Unknown Target

5x^2+2x-1=0

-c^2=3c-3

y=-14x^2-(5/9)x+2

These are the most basic things in the Hungarian Education System, we are learning all we have no use for in the life.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by TopAce

These are the most basic things in the Hungarian Education System, we are learning all we have no use for in the life.

That's why i'm proud to be an American :D :nod:

BTW, even tho I couldn't understand them Flaser + Stunaep get kudos. Thnx guys, enjoy your parts ;)

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
Originally posted by Unknown Target
The quadratic forumla we learned was -b + The square root of B^2-4AC, all divided by 2.

Wrong. All divided by 2a.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Don't make me start calculating the volume of revolution for an exponential curve containing complex polynomials between a and b!
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
It's really hard to write down anything mathematical in vbulletin that's visally easy to understand as well.

I'll try to make a rtf file for you.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Levyathan

Wrong. All divided by 2a.

Oops, you're right, I thought I put that A in the post. Oh well :doubt:

My brain hurts.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
have any of you seen the analogous formulas for cubic and quartic equations? Those are some of the messiest things I have ever seen, even edging out the euler-maclaurin formula. :D

I have also been stuck on a math problem for most of today actually; anyone here good with limits?

lims®n BinC(s+k-1,s-1) [ z[/size]'(s+k) + ( y(s+k) - y(s) ) z(s+k) ]

(n is a negative integer, k is an integer between 0 and s and BinC is the binomial coef)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 10:35:05 pm by 296 »

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Y'know, it's times like these that I feel better about the fact that I chose alcohol over study.

Also, on an unrelated note: Muwhaha. I'm gonna be relatively rich for doing sweet ****-all. Mwuahaha. All thanks to the Cyprian mafia and the dodgyness of my uncle.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
To me, Hell is a big hairy math school.
SCREW CANON!

one more thing a bout all the quadratic formulas, pretty basic, but it might be of some help.

if you can write the thing as (x+-number)(x+-number) like you can write x^2+x-12 as (x+4)(+-3), you can solve it without any formula, in this case, x is either -4 or +3.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by kasperl
one more thing a bout all the quadratic formulas, pretty basic, but it might be of some help.

if you can write the thing as (x+-number)(x+-number) like you can write x^2+x-12 as (x+4)(+-3), you can solve it without any formula, in this case, x is either -4 or +3.

kasperl, those are the thanks to the Viet formula:

a*x^2+b*x+c=a*(x-x1)*(x-x2)=0

Beside the original are:
x1+x2=-b/a
x1*x2=c/a

You can get both by simply doing the procedures with the quadratic equation solution formula.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by CP5670

(n is a negative integer, k is an integer between 0 and s and BinC is the binomial coef)

Ahh, limits scare me.. I've been trying to learn infinitesimal calculus for the past bit and I can understand them enough to find derivatives, but my mind still doesn't want to accept their existence.... :p

and the only formula related to cubic equations I could find in my math encyclopedia was Cardano's Formula... hmmm.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Originally posted by CP5670

I have also been stuck on a math problem for most of today actually; anyone here good with limits?

Hmm... [Deciphering]  I need a better picture of this... thing.  See if you can get a graphic out of MathType or Equation editor for this equation.  Say, is that zeta-prime (deriv. of zeta)?

By the way, I'll give you the link to one of the greatest mathematics references around: Click Here  Put it in your "Favorites" menu.

To answer Kamikaze, my son will be a senior taking AP Calculus BC at his high school.  He initiated a taste for mathematics back in eighth grade, similar to your case.  When he entered 9th grade, he asked the math department head for a calculus textbook.  He basically mastered calculus (with my help) in several months.  Say, does your high school offer AP Physics C?

Offline JR2000Z

Originally posted by Kamikaze
As I'm going into High School soon I was interested in what kind of math you all took in your HS years,

How good are you in math?

i'm not real good with it so i took the IAG series  ( intergrated algebra/geometry). This was a three year/credit course and they teach you what you learn in Algebra and Geometry. The difference is it's three years instead the usual two. I took the first cource in summer school, the second course in my sophmore year, and a full geometry course in the following summer school also in replacement of the third IAG course.

i'll be a senior this year and i'm already finished with math so....
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
the only math I remember from High School (get it? High? heh... hehehe... *cough*) was trig... mainly because it was simple.... the rest I forgot 10 minutes after writing the exam.. I'll probably never use any of it again, so why bother? trig I actually use when working with lightwave, I can actually do some of it in my head no problem (which is amazing for me, I'm terrible at doing math in my head), the rest of it went up in a cloud of smoke....

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yeah, that is a true problem that we had been suffering with a part of science for years, and we forget everything a few month after we made the exam. These are the things you don't find interesting, and you won't use it in your own life. I absolutely hate maths, simply has no use.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I love math, so I think I'll be taking some advanced route in high school... I'm one of those people who don't particularly care about the practical application of math. I just enjoy the profound elegance of the system.

The thing is, obviously the math they teach in school sucks... it's basically like those use-and-throw-away-cameras, you learn it, you use it (exams), you throw it in your mental trash can. Horribly wasteful... (both the cameras and school math)
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman