Yes
20 (76.9%)
No
1 (3.8%)
Maybe(Apathetic)
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 24, 2003, 07:53:15 pm

Author Topic: Fleet Wars(FreeSpace League) ?  (Read 17996 times)

Offline J.F.K.

Fleet Wars(FreeSpace League) ?
Originally posted by DragonClaw
Hurr, is anyone really interested in this?

Btw, site up, Here.

Made a little progress as far as the database goes, though lagging behind. I really suck at this :p

And we can always use more players.

Dude, I can't play (still stuck on dialup), but that's some good work you done there. :yes:
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by J.F.K.

Dude, I can't play (still stuck on dialup), but that's some good work you done there. :yes:

dont worry. FS2 runs fine with dialup and good servers :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Lightspeed

dont worry. FS2 runs fine with dialup and good servers :D

True, I racked up 2 hours of flight yesterday with my 56K.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline SSC-esd

• http://www.shatteredstar.com
A nodemap you say - well, I have an old one here, and I am also working on a new template with just the node-names on it.

Also, I may be up to help with a little bit of FRED2'ing ;)
SSC-esd
Shattered Star Confederation
X² The Threat - Coming soon!
"And thanks to esd for kicking our butts on Thursday!" - Inquisitor

Hehe, Ive always been stuck on 56k. Flown on PXO for last 2-3yrs on 56k :P. Works fine, as long as the host has a decent connection.

Offline SSC-esd

• http://www.shatteredstar.com
Originally posted by HAF-Guntharg
Hehe, Ive always been stuck on 56k. Flown on PXO for last 2-3yrs on 56k :P. Works fine, as long as the host has a decent connection.

I too fly on 56k, and it serves me well.:)
SSC-esd
Shattered Star Confederation
X² The Threat - Coming soon!
"And thanks to esd for kicking our butts on Thursday!" - Inquisitor

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Good news. The poll on our boards is looking very positive :D

I'm up for:

- FREDding
- Playtesting (although i'm not 100% sure about my availability the next week(s) )
- Creating any banners/images/backgrounds/map templates, etc.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Thank you! :)

Make sure you get a post in at the FW forums too(if you haven't registered do so, so I can get you an avatar  :p )

But yeah we could use all 3 of those I think, definately FREDing. Would you be willing to make FRED templates for, say, 12 sectors? (waypoints for each side's starting point, and one in the middle- 1-5 nodes(each with name connecting to adjacent system) , go ahead and base the node connections off of this:
http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/fleetwars/map/firstversionalpha.jpg

I'm not in a hurry to get them so take your time if you are willing to do it. The nodes in the nebula I want to be nebula sectors too(makes things very interesting)

One thing that may have to be taken into account with a nebula, is that with a huge fleet, and 8 players in the one mission, it will be hell laggy :(

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
i havn't read much. but how bout having an r and d department.. say we come up with a newship the administrator of the whole flettwar system(dragonclaw) has to approve what ever it is for balance. then if you want to use it in a match. you and the opponet  agree to let you use it. Then you give them the ship table modle the whole bit but they can't use it or even look at it. they just have it so it shows up in game. or maybe have a db loaded with teams rnd research  that if scp ever gets multiplayer going it could somehow be ran off that way.

The problem, at the moment, is that PXO will not allow tables to be hacked, even if it's not a valid mission (Im not 100% sure on the mission validity), but maybe in using the SCP, it's well worth a thought :)

if you do use the SCP, and have some clever coder, you won't even need to have the other side to see the ship before they fight it.

just have it downloaded at match start.

edit:  i just thought of something, could a PHP script be thought how to generate missions/tables?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I see the problem there Kasperl, is that teams will make their own ships really strong. It would just blow out of proportion. However, it would be fair for them just to make a ship, say, to replace the Herc II, or something like that. As long as they had the same tables, stats etc.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
We could set up a system which specifies Value Points and balances a ship's strength with the ships cost, and then each team could build its own custom ship fleets. The packs would somehow then be transferred before match start (to a temporary folder) by the FSSCP build.

One thing however,

We're MILES away from there ~ so lets try to get an easy and fast thing going, and if that works out we can always go and make things more complex.

indeed, first we need a SCP MP build so we can have our Dbase, then we can make things more complicated.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
you have somewhat of a wrong point i mean using scp  because i know pxo hates tables but before they can be used they go through who ever is say on a commite of fleet wars who test to see if the ships are balenced only then after you can use them. so this allows fairness and custom ships once scp has multi player anmd fleet wars is made

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
DC i'd like to be Theta 12 :p

i'd like to be a beta tester Dragon Claw
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
:P
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Ill fly with ya neo_hermes. PM your email address so I can stay in contact with ya ;)

Offline Starks

We should get a project avatar here...
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse