Yes
20 (76.9%)
No
1 (3.8%)
Maybe(Apathetic)
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 24, 2003, 07:53:15 pm

Author Topic: Fleet Wars(FreeSpace League) ?  (Read 18001 times)

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Fleet Wars(FreeSpace League) ?
I want a few(or a number :p) people to help me test this out before I actually go 100% on this, to see if it actually works. This is a play off of SquadWars and Nodewars, except more manual work, more pre-battle preparation, and more strategy :)

For now it'll be using normal FS2, until the SCP can get some workable multiplayer code into the game. Maybe they can even get a sort of workable automatic matchmaker something like this(though I doubt it :doubt: )

Anyway here's the details:

-Each team/fleet starts with a certain amount of resources. Each ship will cost a certain amount of resources and/or maintenence cost. The team will choose what race it is(from Terran and Vasudan, no shivans sorry :p )
-Each node a team holds increases amount of resources available for the team.
-Each capital ship a team holds must hold its default configuration, to prevent any unfair advantages. Player ships are modifyable though( not through tables though :p )
-Each team can have a maximum of 3-4 players playing for its side in each battle(to prevent serious kinds of lag).
-I or another FREDer on the management team will be making template maps for each node on the map. For now I believe we'll just be using the standard FS2 nodemap to reduce the workload for everyone.
-The challenger will download the template map for the node its attacking, and place the ships the team will use on their side of the node. The challenger will then either send the map to the defender(and moderator) or upload it somewhere the defender(and moderator) can download it. The defender will then place the defending team's ships(of choosing) on the map at locations of his choice(limitations are pending :p), and then upload it to the moderator of the match. The time the game takes place should have already been decided, if the other team does not show, the moderator will still run the game, and the AI will fill in for the other team's players(not a good thing, trust me! *whoops beta 3 died in collision*)
-The team can divide each system's resources as it pleases, for example, transfer ships from one system to another, but if ships die, the team must wait for one more match to take place before they are able to use their available resources again to its full potential. A team must wait one match before the ships its relocating finish relocating. If the team loses a match at a node the ships were relocating to, the ships will go back to its system of origin. They can only go one node per match.
-Fighter-only attacks with a maximum of 12 fighters(3 wings of 4) can make deep-strike attacks(bypass 2 nodes, and make a surgical strike), the same procedures apply as a normal attack, but the attacker can only use fighters/bombers.
-After the match, each team will take a screenshot of their kill(s) and losses (to keep track of how many losses a team has per match, a moderator is also responsible for keeping track of capital ship losses[and try his best to keep track of fighter losses too, but thats hard])
-Matches will take place probably at the rate of 1 per week, like most leagues.

Fighter/Bomber/Cruiser/Corvette/Destroyer resource costs are still pending, but I know Destroyers will cost probably one whole node worth's of resources.

Right now I'm looking for following people:
-Game Moderators(make sure no one is cheating, and to host games-- need a connection that can handle 6-8 people)
-FREDers(making template maps)
-Graphics Artist(to make additions to the nodemap once the game gets big enough-godwilling)
-Game Manager(to help me with basic logistics and statistic tracking for each team)
-Web Designer(to make a website, I can do this if no one volunteers but I can't make fancy ones--look at my HT site, bland eh :p )
-Game Testers(for the beta of the league, I need people to help iron out any problems it might have)

So, I think this could turn out to be a great league, if people will participate and help out, and even liven the FreeSpace community. I realise timing issues can be a problem, but I hope to work that out fairly. Fleet battles in multiplayer are entertaining, I've had many of them. So, please help out and we can make this a reality.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 08:21:00 pm by 116 »

Offline Starks

I can help beta test and Moderate... I have a sweetass 1.5 MB Cable connection. ;)
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline DragonClaw

Originally posted by LLivingLarge
I can help beta test and Moderate... I have a sweetass 1.5 MB Cable connection. ;)

Ah, great! Is there any way I can contact you when I get enough volunteers to help out with a test game or two? ICQ? MSN? AIM?

Thanks for volunteering, :)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I can probably help with game moderation and game management.

I do think it might work better if some systems were more resource rich than others. Also research and repairing damaged capital ships would make it more interesting.

But overall, I like it :yes:

i'll play, i think. school starts monday, so i doubt i can do much good.

but if you really, really nead a website, i can dig some old stuff up you can use.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline DragonClaw

Spicious- See if you can get in touch with me when I get on later. Repair and research can be very hard to manage but we'll see how it goes. Right now I want to get a system that is balanced. What time zone are you in?

I'm currently thinking of 6-8 testers to begin with, for 1v1 fleet battles. Once we get that ironed down then I'll need another 3-4 testers for a 1v1v1, and see how that balances out. Once thats done I think it should be ready to become a public league.

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
I'll spend an forum for it ;)
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Originally posted by DragonClaw
Spicious- See if you can get in touch with me when I get on later. Repair and research can be very hard to manage but we'll see how it goes. Right now I want to get a system that is balanced.
I was thinking of it more as a later addition anyway.

What time zone are you in?
GMT +10:00

Offline DragonClaw

Originally posted by Spicious
GMT +10:00

Ouch, I'm US Eastern (-4 GMT-I think, can never tell with all the daylight savings changing). Can be a problem. You available on weekends?

My contact information:
MSN: [email protected]
AIM: don't ask, unless u got nothing else to use :p

I'll be on for 20 more minutes, then I'm off to school for 7 hrs, wewt :ick

Offline Starks

My e-mail is [email protected]

I primarily use Yahoo Messenger. My yahoo id is [email protected]

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Originally posted by LLivingLarge
My e-mail is [email protected]

I primarily use Yahoo Messenger. My yahoo id is [email protected]
Are you volunteering for any of these?
Right now I'm looking for following people:
-Game Moderators(make sure no one is cheating, and to host games-- need a connection that can handle 6-8 people)
-FREDers(making template maps)
-Graphics Artist(to make additions to the nodemap once the game gets big enough-godwilling)
-Game Manager(to help me with basic logistics and statistic tracking for each team)
-Web Designer(to make a website, I can do this if no one volunteers but I can't make fancy ones--look at my HT site, bland eh  )
-Game Testers(for the beta of the league, I need people to help iron out any problems it might have)

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
I can help you in the management department... I think :p I never really got into FS MP as every time I log on with my ripped version with the no-cd patch it gives the message of "This player cheated and has costum data" or something similar. And i get kicked out of the game :p

Quite... annoying...
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Starks

Originally posted by Spicious
Are you volunteering for any of these?

Beta tester and game moderator.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i like this idea:yes:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 02:28:15 pm by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline DragonClaw

Originally posted by Tiara
I can help you in the management department... I think :p I never really got into FS MP as every time I log on with my ripped version with the no-cd patch it gives the message of "This player cheated and has costum data" or something similar. And i get kicked out of the game :p

Thats usually caused by tables being present in the data directory, things like that. I've never actually needed a no-CD patch, ever. I installed it off my first CD and never have had to put in my other 2 CDs unless I want to watch movies. Odd. OK, so, if you join the management I'll have 2 Managers, 1 Moderator, 1 Beta tester. Not including myself. My connection can probably handle 6-8 people, so I can moderate as well.

So whats really needed now is more beta testers. You can't tell me no one likes to play FS2! :eek2:

Offline DragonClaw

On the nodemap side of things:

Anyone got a nodemap(or want to make one) that would be good for use? It needs a decent number of nodes(considering we have decided there will be ~2 nodes separating each teams' starting points)

Offline Starks

I'm just waiting for DragonClaw to contact me.

ah this is what Army of Light needs:)
Square-Enix employee

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
*Fire Control, target Demonica.  Power up photon beam cannons. Commence plasma core insertion. OPEN FIRE!*

Exits are to the sides and rear.  Personal flamethrowers are located beneath your seat in case of emergency or naughty disposition.  If you run into any Shivans while crawling through the ductwork, it's probably just Carl.  Give him your lunch, back away slowly, and you'll be fine.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Thanxs:D
Square-Enix employee