Author Topic: yay or nay  (Read 23658 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
who likes this

play a mission, the change should be more than aparent
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ohhhhh.. major cool jetskis! :)

Now, if only they could follow a 'spline' ;)

Either way, I think they are a (another) great improvement :)

:yes: Flipside :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Nice!  Can I post a screenshot?  Can I?  Can I?

This didn't affect the background rendering did it?  Because a planet in the mission I played got sliced in half at one point.  I hadn't played the mission many times though, so it could easily have been like that before.

Otherwise, very cool!
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Starks

Ooooh trailblazing...

(Too bad it doesn't allow D3D 5, my comp doesn't handle this build on D3D 8 too well even at 860x640 16bit. Stupid virtual memory, I was having no problems in the last build.)
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there are still a few bugs but there mostly in the form of sexp parseing and are unrelated to anything I've done, and have been fixed but CVS has been down so I havn't gotten them yet

there is virtualy nothing diferent in this version as compared to the last so I don't know why it would be any diferent
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The good:

Engine clipping is gone!!!  I can't see the engines through the sides of my ships anymore!

The bad:  The trails are still super long on capships even if they aren't moving.  If argv[-1]'s engine glows scaling gets put in with this though, then they'll be fine.  Also, the halo glow around the engine itself tends to spill over my ships.  Not too much of a problem but it can look funny.  I've noticed too that a lot of the V models don't have their engine glows at (0,0,-1) normals, so they can look, well, odd.  I've also seen models with engines out the sides (the Meson Torp in Inferno) that this is bound to screw up, but glowpoint implimentation could easily override that problem.  I'd still be all for a glow specification in tables or the POF itself, but that's beside the point.

The good: it really makes things look fast!  Will this work in conjunction with the animated textures code?  If so then we just might have a real winner!  It really does look cool.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
currently it does not work with animated textures, maybe I'll come up with something later, but animated thruster textures are going to be slightly tricky to implement properly as I'd have to take the ship's thrust and max speed into acount

looking at it a bit, I think I'm gona set it to always point bacwards, later I might implement something that has it point up a bit when you pull up, down when you dive ect...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 10:34:39 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Extremely good looking and excellent concept. Like the shine stuff, I think the current effect is a little overdone (not quite as much as the shine) and it needs to be toned down a bit.  I also noticed that the PCX doesn't quite work properly because there are some black areas on the glow itself...but these are minor minor things that can be worked out in the fullness of time.  The effect itself is impressive.

I did however notice longer loading times on the mission and between CB's and mission briefings.  Not sure why...ingame performance was the same as before...even during big fights.  Although not surprising...it is a Radeon 9700 Pro :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Starks

I'm stuck with an Intel 82810E Graphics Controller... I don't even know what kind of card to upgrade to. I don't know jack about nVidia or ATI and how they mix and match everything... HELP ME CHOOSE!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
get an ATI RADEON 9800 pro 128 (or 256), and you too can be as 1337 as m3
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Nice, Bob. :D

LLivingLarge: The best gfx cards out right now are the nVidia GeForce4 Ti and ATI Radeon series. But the first thing you need to know is whether or not you have an AGP slot. If you don't have an AGP slot, nearly all of the new vid cards won't work in your computer.
-C

Offline Starks

My card can't go past 24bit, how can i be sure it'll work?

Offline Starks

I'm about to check if I have AGP or PCI.

Offline Starks

My dad's computer which is older than mine has an AGP slot... Why doesn't mine? Their both Dell Dimensions!!!!

Okay, what are the most recent PCI compatible videocards?

Offline Starks

Better yet... Can I install an AGP slot?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ok, enough is enough :mad2:.  Use

Otherwise, posting after yourself constitutes spamming.

Anyway to answer your question, you cannot install an AGP slot without changing your motherboard.  And they haven't made PCI graphics cards new in a while, so good luck finding one.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Bobboau
who likes this

play a mission, the change should be more than aparent

PhReAk needs to put this into his Inferno build.:D
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
let's talk more about the secondary thruster glow, mkey...
just updated it, the thing were they point in a direction concurent with the direction they are going is in, I'm useing there rotational velocity as the basis for this, there are two reasons
1) the rotvel that I'd get from the deeper level pre physics stuff isn't going to be prety, you'd see the flares jerking around constantly, and that wouldn't look as good as the smooth transitions it has now
2) I don't know were the pre physics (the ships rotational thrust pre se) rotvel is

the big problem with doing it this way is that when a ship gets wacked and is forced to turn in a way it's AI has no desire to go the secondary thrusters will still point that way as if to say, "I meant to do that!"
I'm thinking a per ship table based factoring for the relitive position and scale factor of the secondary thruster glows would be the best way to go and while I'm at it I could alow table based loading of thruster graphics as well (both these and the origonal)

on a totaly random note; I beleve system of a down's Innervission is by far the coolest song to have playing in the background of the last mission, particularly if you have it timed so that the super nova hits you just as the realy quite part at the end hits the realy loud part. I did that earlier today as my sister was waching me and our faces were a combanation of :eek2: and :lol:

and I'm not putting this into CVS untill after the next relese, it is just too riscky to put something in such an alpha state as this into one of our most stable builds (not withstanding the whole sexp rand parseing error, wich should be sorted out soon)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:07:11 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
very cool, but would be nice to have the "enforced direction applied only through a tag ( like, say, in modelview, you can give tags toi subobjects, etc ), coz I can see many cool things being done if those points toward their given normals.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
very nice looking!