Author Topic: fs2_open 3.5.5  (Read 23598 times)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
so nobody's gonna tell me how to fix it?:(
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try running it without anything else running, includeing all internet explorer and windows explorer windows.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Inquisitor

saying it "doesn't work" is difficult to troubleshoot carl.

Have you reinstalled FS, rerun the V launcher? Used the launcher above? Give us a little help here.
No signature.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by Inquisitor
saying it "doesn't work" is difficult to troubleshoot carl.

i didn't say "it doesn't work" i told you exactly what was wrong, that the new launcher is bugging me about there being a d3d5 problem. it's right there in the post.

details:

when double-clicking on fs2_open_r.exe, it gives me this message:

"D3D5 not suppoerted in this build, please you launcher to set D3D8 or OGL settings."

then when i click "ok". it gives me another message:

"The launcher could not be restarted."

then when i click "ok", nothing else happens.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
"D3D5 not suppoerted in this build, please you launcher to set D3D8 or OGL settings."

Just posting that error makes it alot easier to troubleshoot. :nod:

First part (only skip this if you've already run and set up "Launcher.exe"):
Click this link and extract the .rar to your FS2 directory. Then run it. Poke the browse button at the top of the dialog that appears and browse to where your FS executable is.

Second part:
Click the video tab and select something other than Direct3D 5. Tweak everything else until you're happy, then click "OK" and try running fs2_open again.
-C

Offline Carl

• Render artist
it works new, thanks, WWcoolmon.

wow, it's...wow. do you know how awesome that specular mapping would look with bump maps? very.

*Newbie alert*

I've been playing FS2 for a long time, but just unearthed it again and installed the FSSCP v3.5.5.  Looks good  :-D

OpenGL mode works better than DX8 mode on my Radeon 9700.  DX8 mode gives nasty artefacts on text and the HUD.

Just one problem I've found:  it gives a sexp error midway through one of the Derelict missions - specifically "An Advancement of Learning".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Try applying the GEForce fix from the launcher. That may take care of your text artifact problem.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
Try applying the GEForce fix from the launcher. That may take care of your text artifact problem.

It *was* selected.  But as it happens, turning it *off* helped...

Offline redmenace

*takes aim*

*fires*

Emergency exits are to the left and the rear, but dont use the one to the right, its just a door painted on the wall. Incase of emergeny, you may be used as a flotation device. Under you chair you may find a flamethrower, or alternatively, a few coins and a bit of old chewing gum. And if you see a shivan in the air vents, its just Carl - give him your lunchbox and he should leave you alone.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

:eek2:  Ow!  Watch where you're pointing that thing.

OK...  it seems that the DX8 code works for 0x and 2x anti-aliasing, but 6x has text artefacts whether I turn on the "alternate mode" or not.  OpenGL works in all of them, and looks "sharper" to boot (on my system, anyway).

Say...  it'd be nice to see proper trilinear filtering on all those textures.  6xAA makes all the edges look smoooooth :nod: but then it shows up the crappy filtering on the textures...  :rolleyes:

A few of the models need a little tweaking to look right with the new specular stuff - particularly the (Mentu?  The newer Vasudan cruiser, anyway).  It looks as though some of the normals have been set up for Gouraud shading, but the specular code is using flat shading.

I can't quite figure out what the command-line options are for the new engine effects, either...

(Edit: OK, I figured out the new engine effects were in a separate build.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 10:32:56 pm by 1413 »

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
...neither most of us.

Well, I did a few.

Make a shortcut for the executive. After the path put these tags with a '-' mark followed by the apropiate tag.
If you use the launcher just add them into the command box in the general tab.

I don't know the most receant commands, though I think someone will finally update the threads dealing with them - or the new readme would finally come along.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline J3Vr6

I saw on the SCP website that there's a required table for various f/x and it's titled: fs2_open355_table.zip.  Can anyone tell me what that is and what I do with it?  I haven't downloaded it yet cuz I didn't want to if I didn't need it.

yes, I'm behind the times.  I've been playing 3.5.3 for the longest time cuz I haven't had d/l ability til lately.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:sigh: This information should have been posted in the VP thread.  It's in the readme included with the file, though I suppose you can be forgiven for not downloading it; it's a significant size.

Readme posted in the VP thread.

Offline J3Vr6

Thanks Goober, but I don't see any reference in the read me about the table's.  I already the VP from the unofficial VP thread and saw no reference to needing "table" files for f/x.

EDIT:  I d/l that table file located in the SCP news.  It's actually the old VP, the name of the zip was called "table" so I thought it was some sort of table editing or something that had to be done.  Confusing, to say the least, to someone who has no idea about tables.
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmph.  It's not named correctly, then.

Offline Razor

I can't extract the launcher. Hasving problems. Can someone post an exe for that thing since it isn't big. I don't see a point in RARing it.

Offline J3Vr6

Yeah, the new launcher doesn't extract for me either.  Can someone post that link to a launcher?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.