Author Topic: fs2_open 3.5.5  (Read 23581 times)

Offline J3Vr6

Where can I find the debug build for 3.5.5?  I searched here and searched the SCP website but couldn't find one for 3.5.5.

My computer crashes to desktop after a random amount of time, no matter what's on the screen.  It doesn't leave an error message or anything, so I'd like the debug so I can try to see what's causing it.

The only thing I notice when it happens is that it seems to be accessing my computer or HDD alot and then the game gets really choppy then completely freezes for a few seconds (music still plays, any sounds like firing would loop) then drop to desktop.

I also sometimes get a blue screen crash related to something that has to do with "VMM"  no idea what that is, but I assume it's virtual memory or something?

Other than that, I get a framerate of about 30 fps when I'm alone in space.  When things start showing up, it goes down as low as 7 fps :(
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There is no debug build of 3.5.5.  Ask someone on the main forum or compile your own.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
is it normal that my voodoo2 doesn't work anymore with fso?
I knew that it was going to happen, one day or the other, but I was a bit surprised when I saw, after an incredible amount of time loading, the selecting pilot screen completely white, except for the text. And OGL doesn't obviously work with very old cards (haven't tested glide or dx5).
Note that I dont pretend you make it working with voodoos -wich nobody use anymore- only for me, and I still can use the g200 to test a model in game.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
question: where can i get the latest version of the launcher? the one listed here hasn't been updated i think- if it has, i'll download it.
thx :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
In case you hadn't found it already, RT's latest launcher build is v3.0. :)

http://mysite.freeserve.com/thomaswhittaker/c_code/freespace/Launcher.rar
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Originally posted by J3Vr6
Where can I find the debug build for 3.5.5?  I searched here and searched the SCP website but couldn't find one for 3.5.5.

My computer crashes to desktop after a random amount of time, no matter what's on the screen.  It doesn't leave an error message or anything, so I'd like the debug so I can try to see what's causing it.

The only thing I notice when it happens is that it seems to be accessing my computer or HDD alot and then the game gets really choppy then completely freezes for a few seconds (music still plays, any sounds like firing would loop) then drop to desktop.

I also sometimes get a blue screen crash related to something that has to do with "VMM"  no idea what that is, but I assume it's virtual memory or something?

Other than that, I get a framerate of about 30 fps when I'm alone in space.  When things start showing up, it goes down as low as 7 fps :(

My system crashes in the same way, no error message. It does this with many builds. If you find a sollution let me know.

Offline J3Vr6

Triple Ace, here's the latest on my situation:  Even though I made a new pilot when I got 3.5.5, I decided to make another new one b/c I didn't like the name and was actually starting up the main campaign again.

All the little bugs I had went away, which included:

- Seeing a square flicker behind my mouse whenver I moved it, the contents of the square being my windows desktop.

-  Seeing the windows mouse sometimes instead of the Freespace mouse

Now, I don't crash to desktop at all during the main campaign but user-made campaigns still crash for no reason and no message.  I don't know if there could be a bug in the fredding of the mission or in Fred itself that can cause that but it doesn't seem to matter which mission I put.

I don't know why a making another new pilot would fix the crashing in the main campaign, but it did.  In terms of user made missions, I have no idea how to fix it.  I still get that blue screen VMM error once in a while, but if i start the game again it won't do it.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

I have not even tried the main campaign thats something I will have to do. I get no vmm error but it just crashes to the desktop like I said. I'll try making a new pilot too.

VMM = Virtual Memory Manager.  The Microsoft site should ahve a description of it in the MSDN database.  First, check your drivers.  Like display, sound, excetra.  Try updating and reinstalling them.  If that won't work, tlel me how much ram you have.
For great justice.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Nevermind....  Figured it out!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 12:01:53 pm by 1241 »
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

erm,
has anybody noticed that something screwy happens when you set up a mission inside a warp tunnel?

I testet one I made myself and found that I couldn't see the tunnel in front view, only a big black background.

however, when I look to the other sides,I can see the tunnel, but it is somewhat striped.

BLAST! I'm not authorised to attach an image.

System:
AMD 2600+ 333FSB
Epox 8RDA+
Hercules 3D Prophet 9700
1024 MB RAM (333FSB, DDR)

WindowsXP Home and Service Pack1
FS2_open running in Direct3D 8, 1024x768x32, D3D multisampling_none, medium settings (fs2_open crashes at highest) and -htl flag

launcher3.3 and 356vp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. That's a known bug. Something to do with the way skyboxes were coded in apparently.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline nucas

i seem to be experiencing problems. i have extrapolated this from the fact that i seem to be experiencing problems.

i have popped fs2_open_r.exe as got from the first page of this thread, fs2_open356.vp, and launcher version 3.3 in the fs2 directory. while i can run the exe from within the launcher fine without any flags, use of any flag, whether checked from the launcher list or individually specified, results in a windows error reading
Fs2_open_r has caused an error in
FS2_OPEN_R.EXE
Fs2_open_r will now close

this kind of, ah, annoys me. and while this annoyance is somewhat offset by my present enjoyment of this sandwich, i'm afraid my desire to kill things in space remains dominant. also, whenever i read anything, i cannot stop myself from imagining the training simulator module instructor from narrating it, and it's kind of starting to drive me insane. while i can run fs2_open normally, it is devoid of nifty features, and i want to destroy the instructor with nifty features.

ah! clarification! use of the flag -fps works. truth be told i have only really tried the commands that i care about, such as -t32 and -jpgtga. while i suppose other flags may work, i have not tried them as they do not seem relevant to the task at hand, and because the critical error window is beginning to take on a mocking tone.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 01:57:52 am by 1383 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you're actually using FS2_open 3.5.5 you won't get the textures in the Media vp to work. Try using the beta version in the What's the newest version of everything thread.

Offline mnftg64

karajorma, which one fs2 open R or D?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
R.

D = Debug build.

Offline nucas

use of the -t32 and -jpgtga flags works with the version recomended by karajorma, though i still see no spastic effects such as were described in the 356vp readme, like the shinies. and the program crashes with a memory error with use of lighty's hires planets which kind of sucks since my system's specifications are not inconsiderable, and his planets are pretty cool lookin'.

so am i missing something obvious here or should i just resign myself to the fact that i will not play fs2 without being made inarticulate with rage.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
For shinemapping, what card are you using?

And err... Ican't help with the memory crash thing.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That must be what's causing it! I have been getting those memory errors incessantly in the last week or so and couldn't figure out why it suddenly started happening so often, but it must be because of those Lightspeed planets I installed. Although those look really nice, I guess I will have to wait for the next version to use them.