Author Topic: WIP: Freespace 2 Download FULL installation  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
WIP: Freespace 2 Open Download FULL installation
Let me say firstly that I have complete copies of both FS1/ST and FS2 so this would be of little use to me, but considering the limited availablilty of retail FS2, I think this is a beneficial idea, if you can get around the hosting and legal issues.  I do have some concerns however:

1. You have billed this as FS2_Open 3.5.5 Full Install, and while it may be true, there should be a message mentioning the work-in-progress status of the "Open" features, and thus it will not function like clock-work.  On the same line, I hope you plan on including the 1.2 update (or perhaps pre-installed) for the regular, and the FS2 standard exe.

2.  Billing its support for Open, you may want to eventually release an exclusively Open version, once things have settled down somewhat stabilitywise, and especially once support for higher compression format audio and image files has been included and perfected (assuming they will be).  This would go a long way to compensating for the large size of the install.  This would however, obviously negate the use of FS2 original in this release.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Fractux
OK I tried it out and it works perfectly.

The setup routine goes by fine, it puts the shorcut in the start menu, and when you lauch it it opens the Launcher... all good. :)

Oh yeah, and it configures the unintall automatically.. hehe  WOOT!!

hey, send me an email... I am sure I could set up a mirror for your files :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Let me say firstly that I have complete copies of both FS1/ST and FS2 so this would be of little use to me, but considering the limited availablilty of retail FS2, I think this is a beneficial idea, if you can get around the hosting and legal issues.  I do have some concerns however:

Well said, but as long as its carefully done we should be fine. Besides, I only dislike warez and such out of the fact that it can't be discussed here. Any way to circulate FS2 to more people at this stage is a great idea, so long as it doesn't upset 3DAP, Volition or anyone else...

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic

1. You have billed this as FS2_Open 3.5.5 Full Install, and while it may be true, there should be a message mentioning the work-in-progress status of the "Open" features, and thus it will not function like clock-work.  On the same line, I hope you plan on including the 1.2 update (or perhaps pre-installed) for the regular, and the FS2 standard exe.

2.  Billing its support for Open, you may want to eventually release an exclusively Open version, once things have settled down somewhat stabilitywise, and especially once support for higher compression format audio and image files has been included and perfected (assuming they will be).  This would go a long way to compensating for the large size of the install.  This would however, obviously negate the use of FS2 original in this release.

Later!

I'm also aware of the legal issues that could be involved. However, fileplanet did host the Fs1 .VP files, so as far as I can tell, other than the .avi movies, we should not really have to worry.

repsonse to 1. If you read the README i pasted, i did include the v1.2 exe files in the package. When the game gets installed, all of the original .exe files are placed in a subdirectory in the main game folder. The only .exe file that get's placed there is the fs_open_3.5.5.exe and Launcher (2.5).

I'm going to see if I can get setup to first lauch a text file stating that FS_OPEN is a work in progress, and that it may not work on all systems. That's why the original .exe files will be included. [Also if people want to use FRED2 instead]

in response to 2. That's why I included the fsscp unofficial media VP, and why I placed some of the textures from FS1 to FS2 port in the package.

Tolwyn, I will send you an email about it when I finalize everything. The size won't change from the 809MB package it is now.

Well said, but as long as its carefully done we should be fine. Besides, I only dislike warez and such out of the fact that it can't be discussed here. Any way to circulate FS2 to more people at this stage is a great idea, so long as it doesn't upset 3DAP, Volition or anyone else...

I agree, that I don't want to upset anyone.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
personally I think someone should try to contact :v: or/and interplay, and ask for permission to distribute this thing
It may sound excessive at a first time, but clarifying this point could bring in my opinion incredible advantages for the community.
If they don't care anymore about the artwork (until it isn't used for profit), modders will be free to release their campaigns as complete games, creating single complete downloads built specifically to run a campaign, or maybe we can use fso as a shared platform for different campaigns; we could use this freespace special release to pimp the game out of the community, expecially once the ht&l system will be fully implemented and debugged; we may find magazines interested in publishing it with a collection of mods... having this permission would mean to open many new interesting horizonts, that could be partially opened now only completely remaking all the interface

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you should include the origonal fs2 exe, as well as the latest offical relese, give out a link to the SCP website and forum
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

another idea, add a few campaigns with a good quality/size ratio, and prepare shortcuts for FS_OPEN using the mod flag, test all fot these camps under FS_OPEN, and put these shortcuts in a seperate start-menu subfolder with FS2. this way, people can play mods without having to think, making this package available and helpfull to an even wider group of people.

and for hosting, talk to an0n, he might have some space left over.

as for legality, interplay can;t say nothing, they say they don't have the rights no more, so they can't sue you and say that you knew they had the gihts or something, so you'd only need to contact :V:.
but can anyone answer this, if you try your best to contact an organisation about a copyright, but they don't respond, and you break the right, can they sue you?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by kasperl
but can anyone answer this, if you try your best to contact an organisation about a copyright, but they don't respond, and you break the right, can they sue you?

Unfortunately they can. Trade Marks must be defended. If I wrote a letter to Microsoft and said that I was planning to make a new company with the same name they would have to tell me to stop immediately. IF I went ahead they would lose the right to sue me.

AFAIK copywrite isn't treated the same way. Anything I copywrite belongs to me. If I choose to do so I can let everyone pirate it and then only sue the RIAA/Bill Gates/George Bush/Everyone else I don't like.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fractux

I agree that I don't want to rush into putting up this compilation, only to find a team of lawyers on my ass.

I'll contact V and see what they have to say about it. But first off, anyone know the contact address I should use?

I haven't found any pertinent one listed on the V website.

Like I said before, Fileplanet hoster the Fs1 VP files, but I still would like to get confirmation so I don't make false assumptions.

I'm keeping note of all the suggestions, especially the inclusion of Mods.

I think that could be a big point to include a few in the package. That will let people know there are quality mods out there and that the FS2 engine is still an option for mod developers.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
It would be better someone who represent the community to contact :v: , maybe setekh, but if you are going to do so, just make it clear that this "project" will be completely non commercial, there will be no profit at all (or if there will be any it won't happen without their permission), credits will always be given, the project is intended to help the community of modders, etc etc

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by KARMA
It would be better someone who represent the community to contact :v: , maybe setekh, but if you are going to do so, just make it clear that this "project" will be completely non commercial, there will be no profit at all (or if there will be any it won't happen without their permission), credits will always be given, the project is intended to help the community of modders, etc etc

Perhaps you're right. It may be perceived in a different like if someone more familiar to them contacts them about this posibility?

As far as giving cretit, I'm making sure to put all of that in with the readme file.

Please keep giving me your suggestions and ideas, as all I'm trying to do is collect some of the major parts of the communities work into a consolidated package.

Cheers!

Offline Fractux

Updated my first post. Please give it a look and get back to me with your suggestions!

Cheers!

Hey, I think that thread goes in my sig!

Yes, it is that good!
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by GT-Keravnos
Hey, I think that thread goes in my sig!

Yes, it is that good!

Whoa hey hold your horses there. With this new development coming to light [ see thread ] we now have to figure out what the heck is going on.

Oh yeah, and it's not available for download, so it's best if you just point people to karajorma's site as a starting point.

Cheers!

Offline Fractux

I had some more thoughts on the subject, and they had to do with diferent versions.

1. HOTU download repackaged with an installer. This would be a small version of 300MB - 350MB maximum. [this is because we'll include sparky_hi ]

2. Full Intstallation. All the bells and wistles, this would be about 850MB [ it would also include the utilities like the FSProKit.. etc..

3. .VP file kits - music, voices, etc.

4. .AVI kit - the missing cutscenes from the base package.

By breaking it down into components like this, it may get more coverage.

I was thinking again about the MOD packages, but I'm not sure what to do in that repsect.

Putting in the full FS1 2.2 port [with the voice, music and animations ] would add another 250 or so MB's.

And then it comes to deciding what other MODS to put in. I would think that at leat one should be included.

So having fs1 port plus a mod or two would boost it up to 1.3GB or so.

Maybe it's not worth it?

Or instead of MODS, just add in a buch of the best player made campains, missions, etc. etc???

I think that may be the better way to go. So that with the install to also put a comprehensive list of the MODS available, as well as tutorials, community supports etc.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
A "comprehensive list" is worthless, since you'd have to be constantly repackage it.  A better solution would be a link Skippy's campaign list, here and , VWatch, since about all the mods are referenced from one of those places anyway.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nice work on the installer, Fractux. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Maybe if you wait 50 years, the copyright will expire and it will be legal... :D

You guys rock.  o.O
For great justice.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
It's a bit overwhelming, isn't it? ;) Download this, and play it after you've finished the main FS2 campaign in the original version. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.