Action = Story++
14 (17.1%)
Story = Action++
16 (19.5%)
Story = Action
11 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: November 21, 2003, 08:38:00 am

Author Topic: So I'm bored as hell.........  (Read 12118 times)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
So I'm bored as hell.........
.......and thought I'd have a stab at making a campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going for a sprawling epic like Inferno or anything. Just 20 or so no-mod missions. Using all the default junk to just tell a little story and give me an opportunity to blast some innocent civillians outta the sky.

And I got to thinking: FS2, by all normal measures of coolness, is the best for doing such a thing. But I'm a purist, in that I like the no-nonsense approach of FS1. I can't be bothered with the over-complication and excessive doing-stuff-ness of FRED2, but I was originally planning my little story as a post-Capella kinda thing (despite the fact that, baring a major plot re-write, you never leave Delta Serpentis).

So I'm left with the choice of using FRED2 despite my objections to its 'stuff' and having cool scripted beam-fights between fleets of destroyers, or using FS1, losing the beams and other 'flash', and being able to play it in FS1, which I am VASTLY more fond of.

Being the nice, community-spirited guy I am, I thought I'd give you 'tards the choice.

Choose, my monkeys. Choose.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

wow.....you really are insane....
--------------------------

Sig

go FS2, if you really want to use FS1 stuff, rip some **** from the port. you might as weell use some FS1 ships in some pirate faction, while your at it. actually, use FSO, so you can  do some other fun stuff with the new functions, so we can use your camp as a tech demo for FSO.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
I am NOT using FSO.

With FS1, I have no options and therefore won't start going "Oooh, I could add glow-maps" and end up never finishing the damn thing.

If I categorically refuse to use ANY modifications to the default files (except mission and campaign files), it's feasible for me to do it myself.

And there's also the matter that I don't know where my FS2 Disk 2 is. So I'll need at least a week of scouring the house to find it if I'm gonna use that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:48:57 am by 397 »
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

or dl the hotu thing in about 5 hours....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Use FS2... :p
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Have I mentioned that I hate you all?

*mentally prepares himself for doing hundreds and hundreds of beam-free-all's*

Offline diamondgeezer

Global beam-free all tag, mate. Oh, but you aren't using FSO.

:ha:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Is global beam-free-all a FSO thing or just a FRED2_Open thing that'll work with normal FS2?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Use FS2[Retail, all the way], and put more stress on action than story.

Your normal FS2 cannot read the 'Global beam-free-all' flag. Everything you save with FRED_open gets unreadable for the retail game. Unless you find a way to reconvert it to normal FS.

once again, I will have to open an argument with diamondgeezer again. The 'Global beam-free-all' flag is only a thing that makes your work more comfortable. You can tell all the ships to use their beams individually. Just make sure that the SEXP run when the ship in question is in the field of engagement(arrived).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:38:03 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I voted FS2 because

- Flak and AAAf make capital ship attacking harder/more fun.
 - Nebula missions allow for greater plotline diversity (In gas giants)
 - Planetary BGs allow for greater diversity (setting a mission in orbit of a planet.
 - 1024x768
 - FRED2 has a lot of useful features that should have been in FS1, but weren't. Turret lock all is an example - FS1 can only do turret lock one by one, which is irritating if you wanna lock up a destroyer.
 - Greater ship diversity in FS2, especially for Vasudans. The vasudan "armada" in FS1 is fighters, bombers, Atens, Typhons. The Mentu and Sobek give at least a vague impression that the Vasudans are a real, contributing part of the alliance, with a structured space navy as opposed to funny headed tag alongs.

So yeah - there's more, but well, I can't think of 'em at the moment. Good luck.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
I suppose I could play with the source-code to give FRED2 a button that'd add a beam-free-all sexp for every ship with a #big or #capital or whatever the hell the tag is.

Hmmm......Or I could make a PHP thingy that'd parse the file and add one. Which'd probably be a lot easier.

D'ya reckon it'd do anything bad to the game if every ship had a beam-free-all (fighters and bombers included)?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

Originally posted by Black Wolf

- Planetary BGs allow for greater diversity (setting a mission in orbit of a planet.
 - 1024x768
 - FRED2 has a lot of useful features that should have been in FS1, but weren't. Turret lock all is an example - FS1 can only do turret lock one by one, which is irritating if you wanna lock up a destroyer.
 - Greater ship diversity in FS2, especially for Vasudans. The vasudan "armada" in FS1 is fighters, bombers, Atens, Typhons. The Mentu and Sobek give at least a vague impression that the Vasudans are a real, contributing part of the alliance, with a structured space navy as opposed to funny headed tag alongs.

Maybe I could expand your list:

- SuperCaps
- Big damage flag(realistic, if you like it. Personally, I hate it)
- More ships and technologies.
- Nicer nebula background(+ planets addable = better FEELING)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:56:14 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Black Wolf

~-=™! I was intending to keep the player too busy trying not to explode to be able to take down cap-ships. Leaving the big boys to duke it out on their own. !™=-~

~-=™! As I said, it'll be based almost entirely in Delta Serpentis. I don't really see the need for nebulas. !™=-~

~-=™! Never thought about that. Good point. !™=-~

- 1024x768

~-=™! High-res can kiss my hairy yellow butt. !™=-~

~-=™! But enough to make it worth it? !™=-~

~-=™! At the moment, the Vasudans are practically non-existent in the story-line as they'll be busy trying not to die and thus not bothered about what's happening in Delta Serpentis. !™=-~
[/B]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
At the moment, the only thing making me more inclined to use FS2 is the planetary backgrounds and MAYBE the beams as they add drama.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by an0n
D'ya reckon it'd do anything bad to the game if every ship had a beam-free-all (fighters and bombers included)?

FRED doesn't seem to mind, and FRED's more picky than FS2.
Rarely Updated P3D.

what about fun little options as Sathanasses? they ain't pretty, but they blow up pretty damn nice.

Supernova?

prettier bombs?

people that actually play the campaign?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Yeah, but there ain't been any FS1 campaigns out in years. And it's a shame c'z it's a damn good engine and doesn't deserve to be relegated into obscurity just because more people have FS2 installed.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by an0n
At the moment, the only thing making me more inclined to use FS2 is the planetary backgrounds and MAYBE the beams as they add drama.

What about overwhelming public opinion? :p
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Public opinion can suck my dick.

Bah, I'll use FS2 if you're all gonna whine.

........Hmm. Or I could make it FS1 just to annoy you all.