Author Topic: Let the 32-bit eye candy never stop! :-)  (Read 23832 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Let the 32-bit eye candy never stop! :-)
yeah you need tons of gfx card memory... When I've finished them there will be a seperate pack for users who don't have that much...

And things will improve once DDS works properly, and I can convert all this to DDS.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline diamondgeezer

This is all well and good but DO THE LAST DAMN PLANET

:nervous::D

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
i'm on it... i'm on it... christmas is slowing me down a bit though :p

Offline diamondgeezer

Always some excuse...

Tell you what though Lighty, I go around to downloading the other planets yesterday - all I can say is DAMN

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Lightspeed
it's supposed to be purple. I detest that pink colour on the original :rolleyes:

No offense, but if you're doing new versions of the Volition planets, please keep them as close to the originals as possible, even if you do not like the coloration in the original image.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Solatar

yeah you need tons of gfx card memory... When I've finished them there will be a seperate pack for users who don't have that much...

And things will improve once DDS works properly, and I can convert all this to DDS.

I have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb and a gig of DDRAM. Where is it slowing down...:doubt:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Ace

No offense, but if you're doing new versions of the Volition planets, please keep them as close to the originals as possible, even if you do not like the coloration in the original image.

it is very close to the original, it was purple and it still is purple, just not so pink-ish :)

@Solatar: My guess would be bus speed. You're not, by any chance, running an AMD based system?

Offline Solatar

Pentium 4 1.8GHz.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
hmm... FSB speed? 800, 533 or 400 MHz?

Offline Solatar

I thought 1.8GHz WAS the FSB speed...how do I find out?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
uhh 1.8 GHz is the processor clock speed :p

The processor speed partly determines how fast the processor can actually process data, whereas the Front Side Bus is used to get the data into your RAM. That's also why you should have synchronized FSB and RAM speeds.

The problem with low FSBs is that the CPU will be able to process all the heaps of data, but will not be able to get them to your RAM fast enough :D

I think the FSB speed should show up in almost every BIOS during startup, else you can look at the speed of you RAM (the CPU can't put it in there faster than your RAM speed anyway).

Offline Solatar

Ok, I have no idea then.:p

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
most bus speeds are a small fraction of the processor speed, so if you processor is 1.8 ghz, it's probably around 400mhz.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Originally posted by Solatar
I thought 1.8GHz WAS the FSB speed...how do I find out?

Do you have htl enabled?
Creator of Science Fiction Career
Completed: 0.2%
Site: click here

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Carl
most bus speeds are a small fraction of the processor speed, so if you processor is 1.8 ghz, it's probably around 400mhz.

not really, the Pentium 4 series comes in 400 MHz, 533 MHz or 800 MHz FSB speed. With all CPU speeds...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, technically speaking the FSB speeds for the P4 family are 100, 133, and 200 MHz., but they are each expressed in terms of their effective performance of 4 times these figures, because they prefetch 4 bits per clock cycle instead of 1 or 2.  Intel calls this its "quad pumped" technology, but its not the first to use something like it.  AGP has 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, and perhaps even 16x before switching to PCI-Express, each (with the exception of 1x) use this method to get more data in a single clock cycle, simulating a faster clock speed, even though it still operates on a 66 MHz. bus.  Another example of this is with DDR-SDRAM, which grabs twice as much data in a single clock cycle, then re aligning the data back into a sequential form, so SDRAM of 100, 133, 166, and 200 MHz. can simulate speeds of 200, 266, 333, and 400 MHz.  There are even DDR modules that can operate at 266, and thus simulate 533 MHz.  The upcoming DDR2, could be refered to as QDR, since it uses sends 4 times as much data in a single clock cycle as standard SDRAM.  Back on the FSB, and somewhat older, the system bus of AMD's Athlon CPU (not the AMD64 though) grabs 2 bits per clock cycle, which played a factor in the Athlon's gains over the Intel P3 until the P4 came into its own.  I'm not sure what AMD's X86-64 designs use, since its architechture is somewhat different from normal.

In any case, a 1.8 GHz. cpu on a quad-pumped bus could either be a 18.0 clock multiplyer on a 100 MHz. system bus, 13.5 x 133.3 MHz, or 9.0 x 200 MHz.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the new AMD64 processors still are limited to 400 MHz FSB (200 duo pumped)

enough of spec-talk, let's get back on topic :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
ahh... I love holidays :D

Download for use in-game: PlanetG

Comments :)

Again, outstanding. Love your work, Lightspeed.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Alrighty, i'm unsure what to do with this one, so it's time for another preview:

This is what I came up with so far...

For those who want to dare (2500x2500 pixles): Full resolution linky

If you want I can put up a version for in-game use, but as i don't think it's quite done yet, i'll wait for some... comments first :)

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
pretty as always, only quarm, the bottom right of the planet, the texturing looks a little funny .... i dont know what it is (bump mapping or what i dunno), but it just looks .... off.

Other than that, brilliant job mate

.... i hate you.
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!