Author Topic: 32-bit suggestion thingy  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
32-bit suggestion thingy
YOu know, maybe we should use some better compression than TGA. Because, for some reason, I'm not surprised if FS2 runs slow, seeing that only the thruster maps take up 22 mb.

DDS maybe?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
i dont think it makes any difference once its loaded into your vid card mem, does it?
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Re: 32-bit suggestion thingy
Originally posted by Stunaep
YOu know, maybe we should use some better compression than TGA. Because, for some reason, I'm not surprised if FS2 runs slow, seeing that only the thruster maps take up 22 mb.

DDS maybe?

I posted about DDS in the internal yesterday night.  It works in OpenGL, but not every card supports it.  RT has made it available in D3D about 3 hours ago.  You're going to have to wait a few days until we release another beta build.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
does it actually help? are the textures stored on the card compressed?
I'm asking cause i'm a complete n00b at that :D

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Re: 32-bit suggestion thingy
Originally posted by Stunaep

DDS maybe?

i will quote Bob here: we talked about this in PM
in game there would be no diference, it all gets converted to the same internal format
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline RandomTiger

Well, JPG is the best for small file sizes,
DDS has the great advantage because it works in *both* OGL and D3D
And TGA has full alpha channel functionality (DDS might have this also for all I know)
But they will all take up the same amount of space when they get to the card.

If DDS supports some kind of card internal compression system then that will have to be implemented in addition to the loading code. I know nothing about DDS so perhaps people could keep me straight on this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:06:30 pm by 848 »

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
[color=cc9900]Seeing these figures makes me very, very glad I'm moving from a 16mb to a 256mb card tomorrow...[/color]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Someones computer is going to end up sounding like a 747 on tickover ;)

Offline RandomTiger

Im, I've just done some research and I get it now.
I'll implement support for loading *and* storing compressed (DDS)textures soon. It looks like a trivial change.

In the meantime people can use those formats and it will load them at least. However, someone is going to have to convince people to start using it.

Just managed to get better compression with DXT1 than with a jpg (though I think that was on maximum quality). Also it will be subject to what compression modes are supported by your card.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
DXT1,3,5 are supported in OGL.  I suggest everyone uses that.  Compression is rather good too.  It seems that a 256x256x32 DDS has a smaller filesize than a 256x256x8 PCX

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,12652.0.html

its kinda old.  if you vote bump it you die :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:45:58 pm by 31 »
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what I said was in regard to the diference i TGA and JPG, DDS compressed textures do actualy take up less space on the card and run faster, DDS is for all precticality the only exeption (other than other compressed texture formats, though I honestly can't think of any off hand)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, I've been for DDS from the start, though I must admit, from a personal point of view, now we have JPG support, I'm much more nosy about whether any progress has been made on finding a 16 or 32 Bit Movie format of some kind ;)

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Odyssey
[color=cc9900]Seeing these figures makes me very, very glad I'm moving from a 16mb to a 256mb card tomorrow...[/color]
9800 Pro, 9800 XT, or FX 5900 Ultra?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
GET A RADEON!
I have a radeon, and as a result all the stuff I do will be optomised for it, and you won't be able to take advantage of trueform otherwise
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Grey Wolf

I'm getting a 9500 soon myself so I'll have a DX9-compatible card (fairly slow compared to modern standards, I know, but I'm on a budget.)
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Bobboau
what I said was in regard to the diference i TGA and JPG, DDS compressed textures do actualy take up less space on the card and run faster, DDS is for all precticality the only exeption (other than other compressed texture formats, though I honestly can't think of any off hand)

So converting them to DDS does help? :)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea.  i think there is a DDS export plugin for Photoshop.  I think its at nVidia's developer page

edit:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

you may want to get the normal map generator too since it would come in handy once bump-mapping is put in.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 08:39:11 am by 31 »
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What do you do if you only have PSP or not even that?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
there is a DxTex util floating around.  it does a BMP->DDS conversion

there are some tricks you need to learn to make it load an alpha channel with the prog

edit:

http://www.swooh.com/peon/phreak/DxTex.zip
i don't think the help file is in the zip though
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline MadProf

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dx8_vb/directx_vb/graphics_samp_vb_9x7m.asp

A basic description of how to use dxtex from microsoft.  Including how to get an alpha channel with bmps