Author Topic: Post 3.6 Features  (Read 17862 times)

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
trails slow my pc down more than high poly models...
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Sticks

Really? Hmm, that's kinda good to know, I'm surprised no one brought that up before...
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Oh, another one, asked already befor methinks:

- ambient light RGB Bars in FRED (not: abmient lightning MUST NOT be shiny...)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmm... Well, I've not had that problem to be honest. But it may be graphic card specific or something.

Also, to my already extensive request list, if possible, I'd love to see .ogg support or the like :)

Flipside :D

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Continuing the trend of cool stuff forgotten - "Flip Icon" button for the briefing editor - the ability to flip the icons horizontally would mean that we'd never again have to have briefings where your nice, shiny deimos Icon is pointing away from you big, nasty ravanna icon.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Drew

Originally posted by Sticks
Really? Hmm, that's kinda good to know, I'm surprised no one brought that up before...

i was testing KARMAs high poly fenris in game... i had about 60 fps till i swiched to 3rd person mode and saw Bobs nifty little engin trails. My fps dropped by like %50.
Even in softwere mode, i get %50 losses when i face trails... nothing elses slows it down by that much exept explosion animations.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That a texture issue IIRC - I have it with most of the really high resolution stuff LS introduced a while ago.
RT is onto the rewritting of the texture handling in SCP so you can expect developments soon.

The solutions right now are the following:
-Buy a new videocard (this is especially true for those with vidcards around TNT-Geforce2 like myself) since it's the VRAM that can't handle the strain
-Don't use the trails or high res. stuff
-Get lower res. version like the planets LS made
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
It'll get better when I can switch over to DDS.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Drew

unfortunatly, you cant load anis into DDS

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Continuing the trend of cool stuff forgotten - "Flip Icon" button for the briefing editor - the ability to flip the icons horizontally would mean that we'd never again have to have briefings where your nice, shiny deimos Icon is pointing away from you big, nasty ravanna icon.

Good idea, and I don't remember hearing that before. :) Bump this as soon as 3.6 is out.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
That idea is around for ages Goober :)

And i'm still hopeful someone will do a good animation format that'll bring us a) more performance and b) 32-bit animations :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As said elsewhere. I'd like to see 3.6 include the ability that Wing Commander had to allow you to restart any campaign from any mission you played previously (this would allow you to play a different branch of a campaign without having to go back and play the whole thing again).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I had an idea for skyboxes... could it be possible for, rather than having several skyboxes each with a different texture, how about the option for FS to just change the texture on one pof file. And still have the option to have multiple skyboxes?

If this hasn't ben asked already, ofcourse...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Seconds that, maybe make them both defineable, with it using default it no texture name is used?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
If you want a new background but don't have a clue about how to uvmap the background model, just replace the textures using modelview and save with a different name. It's a 2 minutes job, no need to have coders doing it, and surely if it has to be done, don't scratch the actual system.
most background images do need some uv work, you may want to use more than one, you may want a different uvscaling  to have the same background image looking like if it is more far or closer in different missions, or you may have an image on top instead of on the left, etc etc.
Not always the background textures are interchangble, and specific pof models give to modders higher power in adapting the thing for their specific needs.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's not the problem Karma, it's having 3 different backgrounds, and three identical POF's for each one, when you only need one sphere with standard UV mapping, and to be able to apply different textures.
That's why it would be good to specify both, and use default if texture is blank ;) That way, people can use 'different' skyboxes if they wish, but don't have to make different 'normal' ones for every single sky in their campaign :)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I want shell ejection.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
for us lazy FREDders, how about the ability to add background and dragging them around as objects rather than specifying co-ordinates? The current system is confusing, to say the least!! o_O
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just thought of another one and had to post while I remembered ;)

Proximity activated mines :D

And to avoid any confusion I mean a 'bomb' with zero speed that will automatically detonate when a Hostile IFF comes within it's defined range, I know you can Sexp range into level-based mines.

Flipside

Offline Sticks

And i'm still hopeful someone will do a good animation format that'll bring us a) more performance and b) 32-bit animations

You can bet on this, eventually.

As said elsewhere. I'd like to see 3.6 include the ability that Wing Commander had to allow you to restart any campaign from any mission you played previously (this would allow you to play a different branch of a campaign without having to go back and play the whole thing again).

I'm not sure how plausible this is with the current system.

I want shell ejection.

No.

for us lazy FREDders, how about the ability to add background and dragging them around as objects rather than specifying co-ordinates?

This would be quite a lot of work for something that already works fine once you get used to it.

Proximity activated mines

Excellent idea.

(not [sic]: abmient lightning MUST NOT be shiny...)

Ambient lighting cannot be shiny. Specular highlighting (shininess) takes the direction of the light and the viewer into account when calulating the highlights. Ambient lighting has no direction, and thus creates no solution in a specular equation.

Before people say that they've seen shiny ambient lighting, let me just say that what you saw was shiny directional lighting, which is not the same.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus