Author Topic: Ulysses Oddity  (Read 11756 times)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
All you ever need is an Apollo or an Ursa.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Valkyrie.  Best frontal profile ever. :nod:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Problem with that idea (upgraded Loki in Sol) is that the Loki didn't see action until Silent Threat which was post-Lucifer destruction. Unless Sol has the plans for the Loki, they would have never used it. One would assume that they would have the plans though, but that assumes that all fighters are designed and built in Sol. If a fighter was built by an non-Sol contractor, and the fighter only saw limited use with the GTI before Sol, it may have never really been used in the system.

You kind of answered your own question. The Loki was built in secret for the GTI. It seems likely to me that (like the Hades) it was designed in-house. Remember that even the branch of the GTI you were with didn't recognise the Loki when you first encounter it. That suggests a super secret project. Going to an outside contractor to build it would just be a huge security risk.

Now if you say that the designing was done in Sol (which was no doubt the seat of power for the GTI) you've got a situation where both Sol and the GTI would have had access to the Loki.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zarax

Well, i once made a mission where your loki was made hidden from sensors (getting only the intermittent blips) with awacs support and you had to scan a ship subsystems before the awacs was taken out... pretty funny
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by karajorma
Going to an outside contractor to build it would just be a huge security risk.

Must not have been that huge, everything says it was built by Han-Roland, the company that built all but three of FS1's fighters, the Athena, Zues and Ulysses).
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Remember the "Skunk Works" McDonald-Douglas (I believe) civillians working on top secret stealth aircraft. Now they do alien ****e...:p

$20,000 for a hammer my ass! (unless it really IS a single hammer, but one desinged to hammer in ALIEN components that normal hammers can't)...

Now the uber toilet seat has me stumped however... The one that washes and blow drys you ass is NOT that expensive. Makes me wonder what sort of features the secret military one has? :rolleyes:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
scrubbing bubbles?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Can we talk about something contructive besides alien toilet seats hammering people's asses?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Eishtmo
Must not have been that huge, everything says it was built by Han-Roland, the company that built all but three of FS1's fighters, the Athena, Zues and Ulysses).

Ah but was that during silent threat or were the designs turned over to them as part of the reduction of GTI powers and assets that no doubt happened immediately following the Hades Rebellion? ;)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Athena kicks ass.

I used to use her whenever the opportunity arose, even in intercept missions. By far the best ship!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by karajorma

Ah but was that during silent threat or were the designs turned over to them as part of the reduction of GTI powers and assets that no doubt happened immediately following the Hades Rebellion? ;)

During, assuming the information in the tables for Silent Threat are accurate.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by TrashMan
The Athena kicks ass.

I used to use her whenever the opportunity arose, even in intercept missions. By far the best ship!

I have to agree, it's in the top five.  Would definitely be the best bomber if it could mount bombs:rolleyes: , it behaves more like a heavy fighter.  It's only major flaw is it's gun placement, it requires high acuracy during dogfights.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Jal-18

Not to mention the giant profile when viewed top/down.  But it's almost impossible to see from every other angle.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
why doesn't someone fix the Athena.
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Fix how?  Like an Athena Mk 2?  All smooth edges and larger payload?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Who was making fun of the Bakha.  Its probably one of the best pure bombers around...the Sekhmet is a heavy assault bomber more like the Ursa (firepower, flexibility, brute force) while the Bakha is more strike oriented...but I'd say that the Bakha is great...you have a small, compact, tough, and relatively well armed to take on specific targets and dogfight your way out of the battle.

Boanerges is my favorite bomber tho :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
i hate the bakha it had a rather...small payload  ....
the Sekhmet is awesome tho. It 0wnz in multi.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Boanerges? That unmanoeuvrable piece of crap doesn't even have a turret. I agree with the other guys, the Sekhmet is the coolest bomber in GTVA. (not that the Sekhmet has a turret mind you, but turreted bombers seem to have gone out of flavour for some odd reason)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Ursa owns them all. Nothing can match its payload (except the Seraphim, which doesn't count).
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Who was making fun of the Bakha. Its probably one of the best pure bombers around...the Sekhmet is a heavy assault bomber more like the Ursa (firepower, flexibility, brute force) while the Bakha is more strike oriented...but I'd say that the Bakha is great...you have a small, compact, tough, and relatively well armed to take on specific targets and dogfight your way out of the battle.

Boanerges is my favorite bomber tho :)

The nice thing about the Bakha is that it is just as good a heavy fighter as a bomber. This can be crucial in some singleplayer missions in which you cannot rely on the stupid AI wingmen to protect you from enemy fighters. :D The Helios compatibility is a bonus for something of its size and speed. The only problems with it are that misleading line in the tech room about the small profile for heat seekers and the screwy shield HUD ani (although I released a fix for that a few years ago).

The Boanerges has excellent missile capacities but the way its primary gunpoints are placed some distance away from the eyepoint can get annoying. Same goes for the Ursa, actually.

The Ursa owns them all. Nothing can match its payload (except the Seraphim, which doesn't count).

eh, the Sekhmet and Boanerges have the same total missile capacity. The Boanerges can actually carry an extra Helios bomb due to the way FS2 rounds up missile capacities.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 01:39:08 pm by 296 »