Author Topic: "hit" effect on player ship  (Read 9154 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
"hit" effect on player ship
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Alright, let me put this another way - it was TopAce who came up with the idea last time. That ought to say something.

I am still pleading for removing this thing. I believe this is really annoying. It worths a try doing a parameter command that removes it. You ARE GOING TO realize it would be much better without it. Can you aim with your whole display flashing red? I doubt.
Otherwise, the flash of the shield and hull indicators is quite apparent(I am now thinking of the shield icon, not the Big Red 'You have damaged' effect).
They key of notifying the player if he is damaged without the red effect would be to insert a louder sound than usual.
But anything else would be acceptable which does not affect gameplay. The shaking HUD would also be a key of reducing the playability of FreeSpace. It would be if you were firing continously with the Maxim. AHHH! Annoying.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Heheheh...voice warnings like in LOMAC.  Warning - Engine - Fire.  Warning - Maximum angle of attack.  Warning...danger danger Will Robinson....woops wrong computer voice :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It really is only annoying when you are trying to take screenshots.  The redout should be removed when you are in external view.  However, I don't think it is anywhere near annoying enough (on the contrary, helpful when you play with no sound) to warrent serious consideration for removing it.  That falls into the category of outright changing the game, not improving it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline J3Vr6

The only time it's really annoying is when you're on a bombing mission.  You're gonna get hit either way on your run, and redding out is annoying.  I like the idea of hearing a sound of the laser/missile hitting your hull.  A missile should sound a lot harsher than ship collision.  

When you go under 20% hull, have the annoying beeping and a flashing damage indicator (maybe where your hull percentage is now?)  But have a keypress that would disable the sound (but keep the flashing).
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Flak. Flak flak flak flak flak.
I can not say that word enough, how annoying it is when you're on a bombing run, and the capital ship's flak opens up on you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So make it f**king optional. All these people stating it should be removed and replaced with what are generally more annoying options are really beginning to get on my nerves now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Really. They're not offering anything less annoying. And in fact, may even be making it a little less obvious you're being struck. (Removing all indicators)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The sound and hud indicators - not to mention actually seeing anything coming at you fromt the front - should be indicator enough. As someone already pointed out the redout is irritating for screenshots (one of my main driving reasons to have it altered/removed). The simplest solution is to make it an option to turn it on or off - no more complaining from those of us who don't want it - and everyone else can keep it enabled.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. I wouldn't mind having the ability to turn it off cause when I'm taking screenshots I don't really play the game so much as fly in a straight line at whatever I want to take pictures of :)

If I'm playing I want it on though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
unless you want something like in HL where it shows you which direction the shots are coming from, im out of ideas.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline J3Vr6

That wouldn't be a bad idea, actually...
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
On a 360 degree basis? It'd be kinda hard to make it useful... besides the original effect doesn't indicate that. It'd be easy enough to briefly shudder the HUD - flying and shooting would still be fine... indeed almost everything would be ok, but it'd show you're getting hit... and if you're taking screenshots you can turn the HUD off with the code already in the game so the fact that it flickers won't change the screenshot.

Offline J3Vr6

U could have different parts of the radar turn red.  It shows targets  on 360 degree basis...

I'm in agreement with u, Kalfireth, about the hud shuddering thing (along with a sound).  If that could be done then it would be sweet, but it looks like there's lukewarm response to it.
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we already have something that tells you wich direction something is shooting at you from, look in the lowwer right\center of the screen, you will se an image of your ship, every time you get hit, the thing's shields quadrants blink only in the one you got hit on.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I would like to see hud flicker when hit (like EMP effect) along with FS1's static sound (brrztttp--zzzsch) :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by TopAce

I am still pleading for removing this thing. I believe this is really annoying. It worths a try doing a parameter command that removes it. You ARE GOING TO realize it would be much better without it. Can you aim with your whole display flashing red? I doubt.

We already DO aim with our whole display flashing red. Considering I didn't remember the flashing red effect until you brought it up, it couldn't have ever been THAT bad.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Truly the only time I'd want it off is for screenshots.  It gets really red when I'm being spammed by flak, but even on Insane, it never gets so bad that you can't see through it.

In any case, something that would be useful is two indicator numbers that tell me the absolute direction I'm facing.  I find that it's hard to do loops and such since it's too easy to lose my bearings.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by mikhael

We already DO aim with our whole display flashing red. Considering I didn't remember the flashing red effect until you brought it up, it couldn't have ever been THAT bad.

His real problem is his name isn't a true reflection of his pilotting abilities. :doubt:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Heheh. I can barely wait to play SCP multi :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Lightspeed
Heheh. I can barely wait to play SCP multi :D

I Can barly wait to shuv a thebuchet up your *ss :D
*just kiding*
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat