Author Topic: "hit" effect on player ship  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
"hit" effect on player ship
I know we're in code freeze but, something occured to me about the player ship... I realised I get really annoyed with the "red out" that shows up when you get hit by any kind of weapon. Would it be possible to remove / modify this to merely shake the HUD or something (similar to the EMP effect) as I kinda like watching massive ships spray dangerous fire at me but that's hard when there's a red out going on.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This was proposed a while ago but some of us like the red effect so it goes make it optional.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
I think the hull damage should be presented in some more extreme way than the red effect, which is fine in shield damage.

Somekind of a warning summer or classic Big Red Light ("DAMAGE!"), perhaps?
lol wtf

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well shield damage could ideally be reflected by some large and (almost) obscuring shield hit effect... might be resource intensive though. Hull damage could be reflected by god knows what... warning claxons, hull effects, HUD effects are all possibilities.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I remember X-Wing Alliance....

Every time you were hit, your console was sprouting sparks all over and you HUD blinked...not to mention the shake....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Too bad we don't have a cockpit *wink wink nudge nudge*.

Anyway, has anyone here ever played Jane's WWII Fighters? When you got hit, those sound effects let you KNOW about it. Maybe just some big-bass sound effects are in order.

Offline diamondgeezer

You think a warning klaxon or even someone saying 'warning, warning' is going to be somehow less annoying then the red-out? If there's so much red it's getting annoying you're getting shot too much. Seriously. It's happened to me, like, twice. Suddenly you think 'wow, that's a lot of red. Maybe I ought to evade like the fish guy says'
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 11:04:04 am by 561 »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It doesn't have to be a KLAXON, you can have a big THUMP when you get hit. Basically, just remove the red, and add a lot of thumps and shudders. You will definately know if you're getting shot or not.

If your fire warning (the little beep beep whenever primaries are being fired at you) is going off like mad, you're ship is shaking, and large thumps are coming from behind you, and you STILL don't notice that you're being shot, you deserve to die.

Offline diamondgeezer

Alright, let me put this another way - it was TopAce who came up with the idea last time. That ought to say something.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Not really, it'd be nice to have alternatives to the red out method though, and if they're made optional then you can turn them off and keep the original method if you really want.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Does anyone remember the damage effects from Iwar2? The "bloom" on your LDAs when they stop some damage? The THUMP when you take hull damage? Even better, the kick you get when you're in something small, like the AdPat and get hit by heavy PBC fire? You know you're getting beat on in Iwar2. :)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
like when you make a sudden 135 degree turn.  if there were klaxons in FS2, then they should be only on for a second or two once you go below 20% hull integrity.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
You think a warning klaxon or even someone saying 'warning, warning' is going to be somehow less annoying then the red-out? If there's so much red it's getting annoying you're getting shot too much. Seriously. It's happened to me, like, twice. Suddenly you think 'wow, that's a lot of red. Maybe I ought to evade like the fish guy says'

DG beat me to it but you do have to wonder about people who say that Klaxons are less annoying. :D

The only time the red thing ever annoys me is when I'm trying to take screenshots. So like I said keep this optional cause I like things the way they are.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
There should be a big BANG sound as if something's pounding against your hull.

Also, if you are under 25% hull integrity and get hit, a klaxon should sound.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
maybe we should keep the red effect, but have a slider in the effects options menu to increase or decrease the intensity.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Agreed with Carl, and there should be a zero setting as well.
And, of course, could the SCP add a "Internal hit effect" to the weapons? So you put a sound in whenever you want the thing to play a certain sound when it hits you (while you're in your HUD).

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i like the way wing commander did it
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I played WC IV, but meforgets how they did it. Enlighten us, please?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The shiled hit sound when somone's hitting your shield + that blinking light

A thump sound and a red flash when someone hit's your hulll. Possible small HUD distortion or blink

A intensive warning sound when your hull goes below 25% and some major HUD blinking/distortion..

That's my 2 cents...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Beowulf

Re: "hit" effect on player ship
Originally posted by Kalfireth
I know we're in code freeze but, something occured to me about the player ship... I realised I get really annoyed with the "red out" that shows up when you get hit by any kind of weapon. Would it be possible to remove / modify this to merely shake the HUD or something (similar to the EMP effect) as I kinda like watching massive ships spray dangerous fire at me but that's hard when there's a red out going on.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
Never Forget

"It is always better to avenge dear ones than to induldge in mourning. For every one of us, living in this world means waiting for our end. Let whoever can win glory before death. When a warrior is gone, that will be his best and only bulwark."
                               --Beowulf

"... and no, real life sex is not just a myth. You just need to come out of your house once every while..." ~Tiara

YeeeeHoooooh! is the mood of the day. :p