Author Topic: Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!  (Read 9079 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!
an orestes wouldn't have been able to help the colossus at all, no.
here's part of the tech description (on the site)

"The Orestes project grew as a direct result of the Collosus project, which proved tragically the danger of having damaged or disabled vessels on the battlefield. The GTR Orestes is a capital ship repair vessel, designed to get in, and repair or rescue damaged or disabled ships from a battlefield."

so it's not a supermassive construction/repair ship, just a rescue/support ship. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

:eek2: :eek2:  That thing is more like a flying Capital Ship. Sweetness! A target I must admit, but sweetness nonetheless. However, you could basically just give an Orion big repair arms as an upgrade and call it a repair ship. This bad boy is rather well-armed for a ship of its calliber. But anyway, I think it would be neat if command was like:

"We are sending in a repair ship! Guard that vessel, pilots!"

And then, this HUGE ship comes in and kicks ass and repairs. Sweet...

Offline redmenace

imagine how it could have helped in the case if the NTF Trinity. Instead of discovery coming in and not being able to help defend the trinity. It might be nice to have these ships availiable. However, I am not sure how fast they could respong to calls in reality like the before mentioned incident.

My coments about a massive repair ship were in reference to some one else's comments about a massive 5km repair ship
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

It would have been too hazardous to deploy in the nebula. the GTVA was very sketchy on why they didnt want to send TOO much in, too fast, so, they just sent in the Aquitane to "check it out"

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by redmenace
imagine how it could have helped in the case if the NTF Trinity. Instead of discovery coming in and not being able to help defend the trinity. It might be nice to have these ships availiable. However, I am not sure how fast they could respong to calls in reality like the before mentioned incident.

My coments about a massive repair ship were in reference to some one else's comments about a massive 5km repair ship
ah, ok. i assumed you were talking about the orestes. :) by the 5km, do you men the one TrashMan mentioned?

and yeah, the trinity mission is a great example of the type of situation it could be used in, although Tin Can is right in that the GTVA probably wouldn't have deployed it if they had such a ship anyway. ;)

in regards to response time, i'd assume they arrive fairly quickly if they're in the same system, since reinforcements always seem to arrive pretty quick, as did the galatea in one FS1 mission, and the orestes has good engines
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
wouldnt it be easier to create a fleet of repair drones and smaller launch/control platforms for them? At least when you get attacked, the drone's lasers can be used to some effect - not to mention they have the advantage of numbers and the fact taht they are unmanned.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Now you guys are just talking about a whole bunch of really big ships with big capabilities that we really dont need, cept for a large repair vessel.

Offline Shinobi

• http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities
Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral
it is second on my priority list tho. :)

It Better Be ;)

Twisted Infinities-P1mp!
[Sectorgame] - Lurker
[Freespace 2 Sector]  - Lurker

Rawhide! - Hilarious Vasudan Comedy from ZylonBane
Freespace Flash! - Mindless Flash Action Goodness from Carl

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
it is. :) i've just been really busy with school work recently :(

and...errr, Tin Can,  no one said anything about really big ships or big capabilities since your previous post. the only mention of anything large was "by the 5km, do you mean the one TrashMan mentioned?"
other than that i was talking about the orestes and Singh was talking about drones, which i wouldn't imagine to be very large :p

in regards to the use of drones, well, you could go with that, but i'm not entirely sure how you would go about it in-game.
Twisted Infinities

If it really WAS 5km long, I dont think command could use it for emergency situations, since it would be a sitting duck if it was deployed right out into the open durring a battle to dock with a ship.

However, talk of drones, and 2 beam cannons on there sure tell me that it just might have a little bit of "overdose" going on there.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
If you're going to use ships of that size to repair, why not make it a tow ship instead of a repair ship?

Same example about the Trinity... the ship arrives, "envelops" (better word? like in the beggining of StarWars ep IV) the Trinity, and leaves!! :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline redmenace

well if it were 5km long is would have some defenses on it aswell.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Tin Can, the orestes has ONE aaaf on it, as i said before. no anticap beams at all. the other 3 turrets are flak and standard terran turrets.

as it seems that some people are a little confused, let me try to clear it up a bit. :p

the orestes is not a mobile shipyard, and it most certainly not 5km long or anything near it. it is 509 meters long, including the antenna. it can function as a tow ship if needbe due to the engines, but is effectively just a support ship for capital vessels.

the only 5km ship i've seen mentioned here is TrashMan's Integrity shown in some really old thread and on Noise's campaign site down the bottom of this page:
http://www.geocities.com/noiseball2000/shipweap.html

any better? :p
Twisted Infinities

Offline redmenace

we were talking hypothetically. that all. no more. we all can see that the orestes has very limited weaponry as it should. the 5km ship I was refering to would only have some more significant DEFENSIVE weaponry(such as flak and aaafb) and even then not a whole lot. more or less to help protect against warheads.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Yes VA, that clears up a lot. Thank you. :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Redmenace is right.

The integrity (5km {or 6...can't remember}long repair ship) has one HUGE repair bay on it's belly and two side hangarbays. It can carry repair drones, supply craft and some defense fighters.
As far as it's armament goes it has AAAf, Flak Turrets and some standard Terran Turrets. It's not heavyily armoured, but it's relatively fast.
It's designed to operate behind the frontlines.
B.t.w. - Noise..that pic of the Integrity sucks....you should put in a view from below...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Yes VA, that clears up a lot. Thank you. :D
Glad it helped :)

and redmenace, yep, i knew what you meant, and you are correct. :nod:
the previous post was mainly for TC and anyone else getting confused.
(i was getting a little confused myself - probably what happens when mixing a discussion of 2 different types of ships at once ;) )
Twisted Infinities

Offline Shinobi

• http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities
Meh, another brick ;)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:20:39 pm by 1566 »

Twisted Infinities-P1mp!
[Sectorgame] - Lurker
[Freespace 2 Sector]  - Lurker

Rawhide! - Hilarious Vasudan Comedy from ZylonBane
Freespace Flash! - Mindless Flash Action Goodness from Carl

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
hehehe The plan is that the attackers eyes go so skewiff staring at all the panelling that they misjudge distances and fly into it accidentally ;)

btw, I never noticed that Flash Movie by Carl in your siggy before, that's bloody good, all it needs is a Freespace version of 'We Got Deathstar!'.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, or haven't seen it yet.....

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/atom_1403
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:03:24 pm by 394 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Say, Noise...now that DOTA is scrapped I might help you even more.....
Whitelight is currently pathing several good ones (Mammoth 1&2, Sizif, Lancer and some others) and I have the Phoenix(fixed texture), Armageddon and Claymore ready to go...

I might ever re-do the Integrity and Galileo (add more details)..

@Singh - You say brick, I say beutifull... It's a mobile shipyard, not some sleek fighter beauty queen...but I will add more detail to it anyway...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!