Author Topic: Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Noise

• http://www.geocities.com/noiseball2000/itdoh.html
Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!
The Majestic is in REALLY high demand right now.  For some reason, I can't use it; whenever I insert the ship, a part of it leaps right out and forms a triangle to the nearest corner of my screen.  That's when my computer has a fit and closes FRED2.
"The point of war is not to die for your country, the point is to make some other poor bastard die for his."

Into to the Depths of Hell Campaign Site
www.geocities.com/noiseball2000/itdoh.html

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Noise
The Majestic is in REALLY high demand right now.  For some reason, I can't use it; whenever I insert the ship, a part of it leaps right out and forms a triangle to the nearest corner of my screen.  That's when my computer has a fit and closes FRED2.

Sounds like shards of death to me. I assume you're using FRED not FRED2_open.

Check the poly count for the ship in Modelview.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, I'll look into it...and meanwhile, I'll give you the Splendind Civilian Liner (It's a bit smaller than the Majestic)

I think it's due to the verticalyy flipped texture I used...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuclear1

For some reason, I have this odd urge to mention the Repair Bots from HW: Cataclysm...
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
You mean those microscopic thing that one would only see if you really, REALLY wanted to see them?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Nuclear1

Exactly. They worked just fine in Cata, so why not at least try it in FS?
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ugh...something very wrong with my swooh account...looks like it's gone....

ARGHHHhhh......
I'll start sending (e-mailing) you ships tomorrow Noise...

If I open a new account I'll then upload them and just give you the linky...

Offline redmenace

swooh is just goofy right now. although if you have not had anything in it or used it in a while. It might be gone.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nope...not gone....Noise, I just uploaded tons of stuff for you..the linkys are in your P.M.....
:D

Ever played Homeworld?  Repair corvettes.

Now, what I expect in a repair...hm, something half the size of a corvette, moderate hull plating, some flak and turret cover, but nothing against capships is light/moderate repair capability.  If it were real (outside the game engine) I would expect it to maneuver over to the damaged part of the vessel and use whatever technology (nanotechnology, cranes...) to repair that part.  Then move over to another damaged section and repeat.  Not only is this much more cost effective and flexible than building a huge 5km ship to actually envelop the damaged ship, but is more realistic in terms of efficiency.
For great justice.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's actually doable with the current system (including repairing of the hull) if you're willing to live with scripting, lots of SEXP's and the standard dock sound.  I'd make you one if you really want to go about making a bunch of dockpoints all over the existing ships and somehow manage to not break compatability.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
If there were a sexp that would allow you to make a ship dock with a waypoint - or an actual null object - while facing a set normal...

If there were a sexp that would allow moving waypoints /nullobjects...

Definitly post 3.6, but may be worth the work.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Originally posted by redmenace

That looks amazing. The textures are some of the best I've ever seen. Do what you want, just don't touch those textures :D:D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What are those things in the back?  They look like batteries. :nervous:

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I thought they looked like greenhouses....:shaking:

But, anyways I love those textures also
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
the textures are from jk2 for the most part IIRC. plenty of very nicely made ones too, so kudos for them goes to lucasarts.  :)

and the 'batteries' don't really have a funtion - i just wanted some technical looking 'bits' there, and two parallel tuby things was the first thing that came to mind :D

i also intend to keep the texture scheme, just greatly improve the mapping and layout of it. i think that models something like 2 or 3 years old now :nervous:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities