Author Topic: New Beam effects  (Read 18608 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I don't know why, but I can't see the images of the beams. Except for Woolie's picture, of course. And I can see Kalfireth's as well, but the new beam effects, no.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Woolie: do you have permission to use those graphics from TBP? *Growls* I'm rather sure you don't since i made them origionally.....
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the blue one has ugly cutting edges. Fade the colour to $0,0,0 instead of something like $0,0,10.

Personally, I think the orange ones look like some hypnotizing tools to me.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

I like the Orange ones. The the first picture looks like a supernova to me :D
The blue ones are ok but don't look like particle beams.

I would recommend to mix both together, but without the flares.

Mr. Duckman

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Kazan
Woolie: do you have permission to use those graphics from TBP? *Growls* I'm rather sure you don't since i made them origionally.....

The majority of people allow use of their stuff as long as credit is given, and there were no special guidlines for usage of your effects. So I just went and thought that what satisfies the goose satisfies the gander.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

The majority of people allow use of their stuff as long as credit is given, and there were no special guidlines for usage of your effects. So I just went and thought that what satisfies the goose satisfies the gander.

its also known to have common decency and ask
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Cyker

They all look kinda nice :)

However the original ones still look 'cleaner' to me, like they're part of the beam, whereas these ones have this slightly 'Bolted on' look.

The second set on this page look a lot better than the ones of the first page 'tho. I think it's the transparency, but they look a bit weird when viewed side-on...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Sheepy

its also known to have common decency and ask

Many of the mods I have used sources from said merely to give credit in their readmes or somewhere else conspicuous and the others said nothing. If it said to ask for permission before I used a resource, I wouldn't use it, because the person who made the resources might say no or not even respond at all. As I began to release screenshots, nobody really voiced any objections, so I saw nothing wrong with it. Even after I released that screen and another screen showing beams with the same glows some months ago, nobody mentioned that I should have asked. AND NOW YOU TELL ME?!

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
ever consider that I DIDN'T SEE THEM UNTIL NOW

It's common courteousy to ASK before using - but as long as your crediting go ahead and use them - just remember to ask in the future.  We've been over this once before on this forums and it killed a project because the person borrowed from what not a member of the community and they were extremely offended and demanded that the person remove the models and said since they didn't ask before using they couldn't use them.

And if you're afraid to ask because they may say no - and then you use it they're going to be even MORE pissed.  You know that's technically copyright infringement!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
ok, i smoothed out the cutting egdes on the blue better beam, but i dont feel like putting it through the game again.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Kazan
ever consider that I DIDN'T SEE THEM UNTIL NOW

It's common courteousy to ASK before using - but as long as your crediting go ahead and use them - just remember to ask in the future.  We've been over this once before on this forums and it killed a project because the person borrowed from what not a member of the community and they were extremely offended and demanded that the person remove the models and said since they didn't ask before using they couldn't use them.

And if you're afraid to ask because they may say no - and then you use it they're going to be even MORE pissed.  You know that's technically copyright infringement!

Understood. Sorry for any offense I may have caused.

--General Battuta

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Hows this (about 30 seconds of photoshop and a minute of table editing on this baby)

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Turambar

and yes, i see the edges on the top bottom and sides, I'll get rid of them
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
WHOA!!!:eek2:

--General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's too big.  Half of the side is cut off where it intersects with the destroyer.  While that's not necessarily the end of the world for the glow itself, the fact that the lense flares are cutting off abrubtly is a bit wrong IMHO.  It's not bad though and scaled down a bit it should actually work quite well.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turambar

the effect is a real one, the higher energy levels near the beam origin point generate higher wavelengths of light and it fades a bit through the spectrum (i got it off a saber mod for JK2)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
No no, not the rings of the lense flares, the hard edge where they intersect the destroyer.  The glow itself may be masked out, but as the lense flare is a product of the observer rather than the source, the ring should still be a full circle.  Right now it isn't.  The scaling's too big.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turambar

so should i scale the image or the table entry?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Table entry. Reduce the glow radius.

--General Battuta

Offline Turambar

and im not much of a coder, so i dont know how to do the sort of thing where you see the lens flare over everything else.  

I just wanted a "little bits of energy coming into the beam" effect, like in Gundam Wing, except less cartoony