Author Topic: New Beam effects  (Read 18588 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Some Fresh screenies from my little mod

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Now those I like.  Simple, elegant, good all around.  I still think you need to remember that the images are square and make your outer radius appropriately to prevent those straight edges on the sides, but looking nice! :yes:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Originally posted by Krackers87
Simple Green

These I like, the "charge up" glow effect (or whatever it is) isn't too overpowering to the beam or the rest of the ship. Some of the others are.. I can't even see a Fenris/Levi behind one of the star beams.. may be the screen? Anyway, I like these green ones a lot. :yes: :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Thx, as for the other glows, i just used the fenris and deimos as a example, but they can be used on any kind of ship.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Turambar: you still have cutting edges on the sides of the TGA files (fade to $0,0,0 at the edges) - Get rid of them and it'll look a bit better - too bad SCP has the intersecting problems, but i'm afraid theres nothing you/we can do about it at the moment.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Turambar

But AFTER 3.6 ...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Real nice Turambar, I particularly like the subtle green one you've created. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I like the green glows, but they are not "freespaceish" enough.

And they look too, soft. The glows need to fit to the beams and to sounds. So they should look very powerfull.

I think they should look more like this:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 10:41:26 am by 1688 »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Turambar

Good, but a little furry

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Is it possible to animate the glows ?
That would be a nice effect :) But also more work.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Shouldn't be so fuzzy wuzzy woo :D

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by DaBrain
I like the green glows, but they are not "freespaceish" enough.

And they look too, soft. The glows need to fit to the beams and to sounds. So they should look very powerfull.

I think they should look more like this:

WHOA! Could you send me those, please? Those would really fit the Starforce beam cannons which, after all, make FS2 beams seem like pop guns (the larger ones carried on corvette-size ships and up have yields in the teraton range).

I'll use Krackers' purple star one for the Zica beams if he gives me permission because that glow looks more alien and menacing.

My email address is:
[email protected]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 11:21:47 am by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Ulala

These I like, the "charge up" glow effect (or whatever it is) isn't too overpowering to the beam or the rest of the ship. Some of the others are.. I can't even see a Fenris/Levi behind one of the star beams.. may be the screen? Anyway, I like these green ones a lot. :yes: :)

They look kind of wimpy, as if they were prototype beam cannons. They wouldn't look bad on the Lucifer though since its beams are also crude prototypes.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Since when did the Lucifer had "crude" prototype beams when a Lucifer demolished the Ancients ages ago with beams also?

And those beams have way to much flare.  Perhaps if they're animated and they're not all there at once it would be pretty good, but as it is, it's just odd.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Since when did the Lucifer had "crude" prototype beams when a Lucifer demolished the Ancients ages ago with beams also?

In comparison to FS2 beams (both GTVA and Shivan) they are terribly underpowered. It seems logical that this is because they are less sophisticated prototypes of the FS2 beam cannons. I personally think that the Lucifer fleet was composed of the oldest ships the Shivans had and thrown at us because they didn't take us all that seriously. FS2 was when they started really turning up the heat.

--General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, I disagree with Woolie, but nothing new there.

I also think that having huge rays sticking from the glow is tacky, but that's also my opinion.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
I also think that having huge rays sticking from the glow is tacky, but that's also my opinion.

Those rays are actually more realistic than small rays or none at all. Defects in our eyes cause us to see points on light sources. The brighter the light source, the longer and more intense the points. I would think that something as high-energy as a beam cannon would produce a huge amount of light, enough to destroy your eyesight if you were to look at them without protection of some sort. Even with special cockpit glass to block out some of the light, you would still see huge points extending from the beam glow.

NB: This only works for light sources of certain shapes. The beam itself would have no points.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 12:33:56 pm by 1099 »

--General Battuta

Our eyes have defects, but not so much that the flares become that large.  The flares are way too big to be justified that way.  If you stopped at "it looks cool" then you'd be ok since everyone has their own opinion.

The Lucifer beams can demolish the entire surface of a planet and kill an orion in a couple of minutes (using just two beams).
Sure the orion had didn't have dedicated anti-beam armour, but it was still heavily armoured and the Lucifer only had a couple of beams too.

So how does this seem "terribly underpowered" compared to FS2 beams?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Our eyes have defects, but not so much that the flares become that large.  The flares are way too big to be justified that way.  If you stoped at "it looks cool" then you'd be alright.

The Lucifer beams can demolish the entire surface of a planet and kill an orion in a couple of minutes (using just two beams).
Sure the orion had less anti-beam weaponry, but it was still heavily armoured and the Lucifer only had a couple of beams too.

So how does this seem "terribly underpowered" compared to FS2 beams?

Here's an idea of how powerful later beams are compared to the Lucy's.

Shivan Super Laser
Damage: 10000
Fire Wait: 10 sec

BFRed
Damage per interval: 2400
Damage per shot: 80850

BFGreen
Damage per interval: 1900
Damage per shot: 41800
Fire Wait: 35 sec

LRed
Damage per interval: 600
Damage per shot: 23100

BGreen
Damage per interval: 1200
Damage oer shot: 26400
Fire Wait: 30 sec

BVas
Damage per interval: 1100
Damage per shot: 22385
Fire Wait: 24 sec

Also, given enough range, a capship can dodge a Shivan Super Laser. There's no way it can evade, say, an LRed.

--General Battuta

First of all, I believe there's a Lucy in FS2 (not the Derelict one).  What's its weapons there?

Secondly, the damage ratings between FS1 and FS2 are different.  How do I know that?  The Prometheus in FS1 and the the Prometheus S in FS2 are the same weapon.  If you look at the tables, the Prometheus S is stronger in FS2.

Thirdly, the only reason why the Shivan Superlaser could potentally be dodged is because :V: hadn't implemented beams into FS1 and just used a modified missile trail.

Finally, wasn't a sexp used to kill the things the Lucy shot at quicker?  Maybe they wanted to make it even more powerful?