Author Topic: New Beam effects  (Read 18492 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
1. The FS2 Lucy has Shivan Super Lasers, but it was never used in the campaign and cannot be included in this comparison.
2. Wrong. The FS1 ships carried over have the same shield and armor ratings as in FS1. By your theory, this means their shields and armor would be weaker than they were 32 years ago, which makes no sense. The Prometheus S is NOT exactly the same as the original. It sounds different and its loadout animation looks different.
3. WOW, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY COULD HAVE MADE THE PROJECTILE GO FASTER, IS IT?:rolleyes:
4. I'm not quite sure.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

2.  Actually, you're forgetting something.  The armour modifier values for the Prometheus S and FS1 Prometheus have also been changed as well.  This probably negates any argument, since it makes it clear that :V: changed a lot in the damage ratings.

3.  Well, the fastest projectile I've seen is the Trebuchet and even that isn't very fast.  In any case, making it go faster has no implications at all since the Lucy was always at point-blank range and has never been shown to miss.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ok, this is the new version.
Is this better ?

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Much better.  Major flares and minor flares.  If this were animated it would be very good.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I like the "fuzzy" ones better.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Much better.  Major flares and minor flares.  If this were animated it would be very good.

Hmm I like them. But they look a bit strange on shivan ships...

(Yes, I made them red...)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Do you still have the old "fuzzy" ones?

--General Battuta

Offline J3Vr6

does the beam ever get reflected on the ship?  I forget...
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Originally posted by Krackers87

Simple Purp:

Added to part 3
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Part 4

Fuzzy Blue:

Hazy Peach:

Sunburst:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 06:16:47 pm by 1143 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

well listen method man

I like the fuzzy ones.  It would be cooler if we could get animated beam glows (might involve editing the source).  If you watch a beam power up closely, you'll see small energy globules gravitating towards the beam origin.  So an animated "fuzzy" effect might be very realistic.
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Part 5

Fuzzy Yellow:

well listen method man

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Your glows seem to be very static.  Try to make them look more powerful.

I think the fuzzy ones are more agressiv.

P.S. Why are you all using 500x500, just like me ?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 10:28:42 pm by 1688 »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Why is anyone using a size not (2^n)^2?  You're wasting computational cycles.  Scale these things properly!
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

That was my number 1 complaint about the media.vp

If you're going to make art for FS2_open, do it right.  Make the edge sizes 2^n.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Do you still have the old "fuzzy" ones?

Sure, but i need Webspace to upload them...
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I like them all. Well, except the really bright orange one that looks like a sun.

It would be greeat to have different effects for different types of beams.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Sorry, but I'm with Lightspeed on this one. The beams are way too...not beam-ish. They don't look like a beam is charging up. Rather, they look sort of like...one of your glow-in-the-dark stars that you tack with gum onto your ceiling and you retro-fitted it to a FS2 beam.

Now about Woolie and Chrono. I am completely behind Woolie on just about all the points. The Lucifer was a weak ship. If you don't recall, somewhere mentioned that whatever Shivans the GTA and PVN fought during FS1 were only a taskforce (I believe it states that on the back of the original FS2 gamebox). Do you ever see the Lucy running in multiples? Hell no. But you have an assload of Sathani don't you? Lucy blew up Vasuda Prime. Sath blew up the Capella sun. Difference? Besides, you can't really call the Lucifer's beams...well, "beams." It was called the "Shivan Super Laser" for a reason. It was designed to completely mutilate the **** out of the Terrans and Vasudans, and also scare the **** out of them too (and it did that well, AT THE TIME). And besides, don't you think the Sath would easily take out a planet with its four forward beams (it DID take out an entire galaxy, although by supernova, still took it out).

Just because the Lucifier took out an entire species (and who's to say it wasn't the Sathani instead), it doesn't mean it was UB3R advanced. It only had TWO beams. Besides, the Lucifer was probably the only thing the Shivans had back then (of course taking from your argument that the Sath probably didn't exist back then anyway). How can you say the Lucy is stronger just because you don't know that the Sath hasn't taken out an entire race?

The Prometheus cannon in FS1 can no way compare to that of FS2's. Why? Simply put, the Prometheus cannon never existed in FS2. There's a reason why there are the Prometheus R and S in FS2. Contrary to what you may believe, the Prometheus R (for Retro-fit) is a lot closer to the original FS1 Prometheus. They built that cannon from long ago, and because of lack of resources to continue building it, they built a retro-fit version for cost-effective purposes. The Prometheus S came around as an upgrade. And the main reason it's so different is because it's supposed to kick more ass than the FS1 cannon did. Besides, the FS1 cannon is half the size of that of the Prometheus S, primarily because the Prometheus S has a fatass extended...thing for, as I said, kicking ass. Can't really say it's a barrel 'cause it doesn't shoot two globs. It sucks a lot more energy too.

Anyway...back to the beams. I really don't like 'em cuz...well, beams don't charge up like that. They'd be ok if they only showed up that way when the beams are discharged...but charging up? What kind of beam charges up with energy already exerted in the form of ... spikes (or flares, if I have that right)? The beam must first gather it's energy into the core and then fire it, correct? I just don't think it makes sense. Plus, the beams are just BIG (and I mean all the beams I've seen in here, except the ones that LS showed), and most of them and their flares intersect the hull of the ship that they are firing from...not exactly giving them a smooth effect. Looks kinda ugly...

Woooh....sorry for the text-heaviness.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 11:16:18 pm by 835 »

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Why must there be so many problems about realism dammit? Why can something just look cool and leave it at that?

If we areaiming for realism, then there shouldnt be any charge up or beam at all! The beam itself is completely unrealistic since light only would reflect of an material. So in real life, there would be no beam at all.

In addition, there would be no glowing charg for the same reason.

So I have a great idea! For the sake of realism lets have no glow or beam at all and just have a little spot of color where the beam hits, since thats all youd see in real life.

well listen method man

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's not a realism thing as much as it is plausability.  AqueousShadow has the right idea in my opinion, the cartoony, spiky glows are not in keeping with the overall feel of the game.  They break the plausability threshold and that makes them look completely out of place.  Once cell shading is back in, the effect might be appropriate since it has a lot of the anime feel, but in the current (well lit) environment they just look wrong.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM