Author Topic: Interplay: The End Is Near?  (Read 15161 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interplay Employees sent home?
Er....you could do that Sing but i'm not saing you should do that...neither 'm I sayng you should go in and grab every other intelectual properti of games you might come upon and then the HLP could sell them back to theyr owners at 10 times the price to get even with them for what they have done to all of FS fans out there or just for the hell of it.
Or you could just go get the FS licences or whatever give them to someone and then wait for the next day till they come to work and drill a whole woth theyr squeky little heads into a reinforced concrete wall..just for...the hell of it.
Oh and if the company that owns Interplay goes under like I read i think Viveddi was...and if that company owns blizzard and sierra what would happen with half-life starcraft and other games like that.....I realy was waiting for a sequal to starcraft broodwar
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
No, Vivendi doesn't own Interplay, Titus does... right? :nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But apparently Vivendi owns Titus :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I just had a thought......who has rights on the story?
If [v] has right on the source, interplay on whatever's in the .vp, what about the actual story and universe itself?
If interplay doesnt own it...we need to get the people who created it, and ask THEM to get it (if it's possible), so at least we have somewhere to start :P
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Singh
I just had a thought......who has rights on the story?
If [v] has right on the source, interplay on whatever's in the .vp, what about the actual story and universe itself?
If interplay doesnt own it...we need to get the people who created it, and ask THEM to get it (if it's possible), so at least we have somewhere to start :P

Originally posted by Kazan
I just emailed Adam Pletcher, nobody else bother him, I don't want him flooded with emails

:nod: :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Kazan
to make things simple

Volition owns everything in the origional sourceball distributed to use that spawned the SCP (and a few things they didn't include in it)

Interplay owns everthing in the VPs

I was under the impression V owned everything Freespace, including what was under the VPs, but interplay had exclusive distribution rights, as well as the rights to the MVE format?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Black Wolf

I was under the impression V owned everything Freespace, including what was under the VPs, but interplay had exclusive distribution rights, as well as the rights to the MVE format?

I think the VP content is regarded as the intellectual property (not sure if this is the right term) - i.e. everything that makes freespace what it is.  I.e. the key characters, images, content that defines the series.

I believe a (possibly irrelevant) comparison is to a movie - the director, cast & crew may change (i.e. Volition), but the studio always owns the key assets which identify that series - story, visual designs, etc (i.e. Interplay).

Even though it was V's idea and work.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I was under the understanding that the studio owns the intellectual property of the title (except for externally licensed/produced items) and that the publisher generally only owns the publishing rights.

I doubt Interplay going under will jeapordize the source code.  I guess we'll have to see on that but I would doubt it. Its already a done deal...
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Originally posted by kasperl
Legal question: Is it just the name Freespace (a trademark, I would say) or the story as well (IP, I geuss) that's under dispute?
I'm trying to read up on US copyright law, but it seems limited to writing, architecture, and visual arts (paintings, video art?). Games aren't mentioned, and the site ( www.copyright.gov ) is about as clear as a muddy pool with algea.

You cannot copyright Titles, only ideas. Therefore i can create something called Freespace as well, as long as its not based on the idea im alright.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Lonestar
You cannot copyright Titles, only ideas. Therefore i can create something called Freespace as well, as long as its not based on the idea im alright.

:yes: As long as FreeSpace isn't a trade mark. And even then Interplay would have had to previously have taken down anyone else with a product called Freespace or the trade mark would have become invalid.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

And they haven't.  There are some other products on the market (though not software) called 'Freespace'.  I think one of them is an audio system of some sort.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

And a domain name regger, IIRC.

But a space game called FS is a whole different cup 'o thea, AFAIK.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Trademarks only apply to things in the same FIELD

there is a reason why it's "Descent: FreeSpace" for the first one  - because they're used to be a disk maintainance software known as freespace, it's patent ran out after FS1 but before FS2 hence they could call FreeSpace 2 what they did
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline ViRGE

Originally posted by karajorma
But apparently Vivendi owns Titus :D
I'm not sure of the exact configuration, but I think Titus is its own company, but it has distribution agreements and what-not with Vivendi, so Vivendi gets first pickings when Titus goes under.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Meh. All those poor people working without getting paid...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Sheesh. Who knew the death of a dead computer game publisher could be such a long and complicated process. :blah:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

The death of any company is a long and complicated process....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Havock

for all i care, Lucasarts buys the stuff, then they have something to make movies of after the SW stuff :p