Author Topic: Interplay: The End Is Near?  (Read 15144 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Interplay Employees sent home?
Well, if anyone else does, I won't be holding my breath for anything Freespacey, there are several other titles that might be considered, but the chances are that any company taking Interplay over now would probably focus on consoles, and would be more inclined to follow Decent, Red Faction or any other of the more famous Interplay series, if they choose to follow them at all, or simply use the Interplay logo to add selling power.

Can someone get me a number on how many Interplay stocks there are in total? If Titus owns 73%, how much money is that at 5 ct per stock? What would happen to Interplay if we had a 51% interest? Who would 'we' be? Would we go through the foundation/organisation option (Lot's of organisation) or would we buy stocks as individual shareholders (harder for non-US citizens)?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
if we had 51% we could order them what to do - ie MAKE FREESPACE 3!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Till they went bankrupt at which point we'd most likely be forced to sell the rights off to the highest bidder whether we wanted to or not.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
soon as we force them to reassign the rights to some third party we dump their stock :P

That might be a bit harsh, and bloody hard to do.

Really, I wouldn't mind investing some cash in buying the rights fair and square, but first actually ading them a bit by buying stock, and then mass dumping it, is a bit OTT for one license. That, and I'd think trade authorities might have issues with that.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Originally posted by kasperl
Can someone get me a number on how many Interplay stocks there are in total? If Titus owns 73%, how much money is that at 5 ct per stock? What would happen to Interplay if we had a 51% interest? Who would 'we' be? Would we go through the foundation/organisation option (Lot's of organisation) or would we buy stocks as individual shareholders (harder for non-US citizens)?

The market cap of Interplay, even at 5¢ a share, is $4.7 million, so it would take at least $2.4 million to buy a controlling stake in Interplay. Of course, if you start buying up lots of shares, the share price will go up. As for the total number of shares, I calculated approximately 94 million.

It probably wouldn't be a wise idea to buy shares now, though. Since Interplay is bankrupt, the shares will soon be worthless.
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

2.4 million......

That is a bit much, I think......

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
kasp why would the trade authorities have a problem with it

[if they rebound we're all going to be kicking ourselves for not buying their stock]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Kazan
kasp why would the trade authorities have a problem with it

[if they rebound we're all going to be kicking ourselves for not buying their stock]

I think it's illegal ('pump & dump' that is), because of the potential for insider trading, etc.

The idea is that someone can buy cheap stock, then arrange false rumours etc (or just if they have insider knowledge) to raise the stock - before selling.  I can think of a few cases where it;s been done, by using faked reports sent over the newswires.

I think that - even though this isn't exactly identical - the similar aspects would cause concern/suspicion.

Not sure, tho - someone with a business type legaly knowledge could clarify it.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah but that's not what we're doing. We're planning an asset strip. No idea if they are legal or not.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
If your going to be illegal and get some jain time with illegal trading, you might as well save yourself the hassale and the $ and kidnapp the CEO and force him to give it to you. A) you have somewhat of a chace to get away with it if you plan it right B) The guy ran his company into the ground, i dont think many of his employees are going to try to stop you or the union for that matter.

I never post anymore.  x.x

Anyways, see what Interplay says.  For all we know they'll GIVE us the rights.  After that I'd recommend talking to Violition to see if they'll give any more of the legal rights.

...This is being overly optimistic, but still.
For great justice.

Offline WildWolf

• Todd M.
Yeah, but what are you going to DO with the rights?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WildWolf
Yeah, but what are you going to DO with the rights?

I would guess either a: give them all to THQ / Volition#, or b: use them to allow freeware distribution of FS2 or its content*

#less likely nowadays given V's shift towards consoles, and especially the less than stellar reception given to Red Faction 1 & 2 when their PC incarnations arrived.

*not sure on legal issues.  Basically, if we could freely distribute the game content, it would provide a method to try and boost the community, as well as facilitate more 'standalone' use of the engine for TCs.   Not too unfair methinks, considering you can;t really buy FS2 nowadays, and it is getting on a bit.  This would also be of benefit RE: attempts to move the SCP towards a pseudo-full-sequel.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:56:46 am by 181 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Freeware distribution of FS2 would be a good idea even if [V] or another company did get the rights and wanted to make FS3.

It would basically be free advertising since Gamespy have already agreed to host it if we could get the rights.  So in return for giving up the game for free they'd have tonnes of people who never tried out FS2 giving it a go and waiting with baited breath for the sequel.

Balance the money you'd make from a bugdet release against the cost of an advertising campaign that would get you the same publicity.... :)

As for what HLP would do with it. Aldo's pretty close. Freeware distribution of the game. Tons of new users. A second golden age for HLP :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
Freeware distribution of FS2 would be a good idea even if [V] or another company did get the rights and wanted to make FS3.

It would basically be free advertising since Gamespy have already agreed to host it if we could get the rights.  So in return for giving up the game for free they'd have tonnes of people who never tried out FS2 giving it a go and waiting with baited breath for the sequel.

Balance the money you'd make from a bugdet release against the cost of an advertising campaign that would get you the same publicity.... :)

As for what HLP would do with it. Aldo's pretty close. Freeware distribution of the game. Tons of new users. A second golden age for HLP :D

As an aside, i wonder how well the freeware release of Tribes/Tribes 2 will work in terms of the sales of Tribes 3 (when it gets released)?

Offline Brando

• http://brando.amabilis.net/
Here's an idea:

Write a very well thought out letter to the person in charge of Interplay (preferably to their home adddress). Include a proposition on the FreeSpace/2 title and rights. Mention the financial problem Interplay is stricken with, and inform him that holding on to these rights is a poor investment as the interest has died off.

Your interests in the title are only so that you can freely distribute the source code of the program, so those left still interested can continue to modify the game for free, and distribute their modifications across the internet freely. Ask for correspondence to your offer (directly offer the payment to him).

THEN, after it's all signed over, create a community-driven expansion to FS2. Ask Volition if they would like to partake interest in it's development. If so, groovy. Terms of release would NOT be through a distributor. Save money by placing orders over the internet, burn discs from homes of those producing the game. Mail directly to customers overnight. Suggested price would be $25 +s/h.
If it's not one thing, it's ten.
Member of the Freespace community since 1997! ;)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Problem is that we can freely distribute the source code (just not the content) - and that holding the FS1/2 rights doesn't hurt interplay, so they have no wish to just give them away.  Especially if anyone shows an interest.  

Plus, I'm not sure we have the whole logistics setup to actually make, distribute or market an expansion, and it'd probably be illegal under any terms setup to give the license away free.

Also, the source code license by :V: states that you cannot make profit off the source.