Author Topic: Because the subspace thread got too big...  (Read 19725 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Because the subspace thread got too big...
Originally posted by Lightspeed
no problem, Goober will jump at it and lvlshot it anyway :p

Animated layers would of course, offer more variety, but this is something not possible currently, so... :o

And how the hell am I supposed to merge two models together? 0.o

You know, theres one texture for each model, they are tiling, and the models rotate against each other.

Not the models, but parts of the maps.
I also played around with the subspace maps.

I noticed that the layers look too seperated when the maps were too different.
In addition to that, I found out, that the inner layer should have many big-black-spots.
So some bright cloudy maps+smal rays for the inner layer.
And dark-blue cloudy maps+big, less visible rays. For the outer layer.

I succeeded in creating maps that looked not seperated at all.
But they were ugly ;)
(That was the point, I wanted to give them detail at. But then I noticed some hard to fix tiling problems, so I lost my interessed in it.)

Now I'm waiting for the possiblity to animate this stuff.
32 bit anis are not even necessary.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 05:30:38 am by 1688 »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by DaBrain
Not the modles, but parts of the maps.

Turrent.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Irony.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
LS, I think I've finally put my finger on what it is about your subspace renditions that doesn't sit right with me. Subspace is supposed to be gaseous, energy, clouds, etc... but the small "ripples" or "bumps" you have there kinda make it seem way too solid, like a wall, and not an area.

IMO the subspace tunnel should not be seen as a wall, but as the border between the tunnel and beyind the tunnel. In short, I wanna see depth! ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Lightspeed
You should have seen the earlier versions - it's *much* better already, I dont even notice it in-game anymore. And eventually i'll manage to fix it completely.

would you mind on making it look nice while your at it?
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Sandwich: I think that's what the whole discussion here was about... are you flying IN subspace, or in a tunnel THROUGH subspace?  If I understand Volitions take on it, it's a tunnel, which means the ships are not actually IN the subspace matter itself, but rather have punched a hole in it.  Which is why I think it looks good solid like it is, but that it needs a sort of misty feeling to it, sort of spray of stray particles crossing the barrier that is the tunnel.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
is subspace a particle or a wave?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That's not the question. The question is:

Is subspace?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

as far as is provable, subspace doesn't even exist, so it's all up to the imagination :)

I've always thought of it as sort of a dimension sitting inside our own since that's how it's typically portayed in movies and games (whether that the "science" they use behind it or not)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Is there a command-line arg yet to get rid of red-out?  It ruins more screenshots than I'd care to think about.  That and space debris.

Anyway, I don't see why everyone is so big on bashing LS's subspace maps.  I think they look pretty good, there are some issues with the way the patterns interact (the overall brightness levels should remain fairly consistant as different parts of the maps overlap) but nothing too serious.  If you don't like the effect, don't use it, but saying that it looks bad isn't accurate.

Oh, and we still need a higher-poly subspace pof.  It doesn't need a lot of sections along its length, but the tube needs to have at least twice as many sides.  The bends are as plain as day with those maps.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Langy

Er, Raa released a higher-poly one a while ago. Where were you for this?:p

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I was under the impression that Lightspeed was using it for testing.  If he's not, then we're looking at an outdated pof with new textures on it, and if he is then Raa was too sparing with the polygons.  Right now the one that Lightspeed's maps is being shown off on is either 18 or 20 sided, and it really needs to be something closer to 40.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I am using Raa's models.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It's not bad. It's a damn sight better than the original. I think it looks good. It's more a compromise thing. I could make a higher poly version of it, if you insist. It'd take all of 20 minutes, and that includes loading up my PC.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo

Offline JarC

Originally posted by DaBrain
Here is my idea:
http://www.ystart.net/upload/20040507/1083956277.jpg
hmmmm....I think I get what you are hinting at...correct me if I am wrong...the glowpoints on the subspacemodel textured with one of the thruster ANI's and (in FRED?) placing three nebula backgrounds at different intervals but near enough to the glowpoints so you would not be able to get into them...and then it's hoping they will intersect with the subspace model at the desired position to give the 'foggy' effect?
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Uhm nice thought. Not exactly what I ment though.
The additional thrustermaps are static, as they are on thrusterpoints.

The glowpoints are used as particles in the tunnel, which fly in the same direction as the tunnel turns.

I'd place them on the bigger model.
And never use thrustermaps for this. I'd create a new map for this one. (Perhaps even different maps. Might look better...)

The use of anis is a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 03:27:20 pm by 1688 »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
LS's subspace maps remind me of Stargate SG-1. I really like the "liquid subspace" idea.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 02:00:43 pm by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta