Poll

Which is better for you?

Speed
22 (52.4%)
Agility
20 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: July 15, 2004, 05:14:43 pm

Author Topic: Speed vs maneuverability  (Read 7065 times)

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by TrashMan
Not anymore.

But the changes are easy to make... Double the speed of fighter and decrease the manuverability by 50% (at least I think it was 50%)...
my my, aren't you helpful. :rolleyes:
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by Arculis
That's why I designed those Epimetheus interceptors. Against heavy fighters (when flown by intelligent pilots) they can zoom within range, do some damage, and be out of range before the heavy fighter can target them.

You do realize that Epimetheus was the dumb Titan, who name literally means afterthought?:p
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Arculis

Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by Mr. Vega
You do realize that Epimetheus was the dumb Titan, who name literally means afterthought?:p

Yeah, you don't think about 'em until they're gone. (The dumb titan is the heavy fighter that they hit :))

And every source I can find on google says that the F-15 is faster. But there's no guarantee that any of it is remotely accurate. The bottom line though is that if you want Freespace to be realistic, the fighters need to be a lot faster.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 08:51:13 pm by 1751 »

Offline Cabbie

Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
First of all, the Myrmidon's weapons are not positioned very well. It is MUCH harder to hit a target in a Myrmidon than it is to hit a target in an Apollo or Hercules. Second, the Perseus' primary armament is better because it has better-positioned guns and can carry the Kayser.

I'm sure Myrs can carry Kaysers too. Load up FS2 and pick a mission like Endgame. Check out the weapon load screen, you should be able to load the Kayser into a Myr. (Correct me here, maybe I unknowingly added some mod that permitted Myrs to carry Kaysers.)

-The Myrmidon has poor weapons compatibility, badly placed guns, poor maneuverability, and is a huge target from any angle.

Agreed with the huge target profile. But I think the only useful weapon you can't load into a Myr is the Harpoon. Tors, Kaysers, Trebs are all loadable on the Myr.  Also Myrs can shoot four shots quickly in single shot mode when you select the second primary bank. (Great with Singleshot kaysers or Proms)  

The Perseus can also do that but in double shot mode, and thus, does is more slowly. Plus Myrs even have thicker armor the Herc II.

Though I still prefer the Perseus. It's better looking and a lot more agile (easier to pull out some fancy flying, track fast moving ships and get behind your target then a Myr, IMHO)   :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 07:26:14 am by 1826 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by Cabbie

I'm sure Myrs can carry Kaysers too. Load up FS2 and pick a mission like Endgame. Check out the weapon load screen, you should be able to load the Kayser into a Myr. (Correct me here, maybe I unknowingly added some mod that permitted Myrs to carry Kaysers.)

Myrmidons can carry Kaysers, but you do not have it available in the Endgame mission.

Actually, Endgame is one of the first missions you can use the Prometheus S.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Cabbie

Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by TopAce

Myrmidons can carry Kaysers, but you do not have it available in the Endgame mission.

Actually, Endgame is one of the first missions you can use the Prometheus S.

If my memory servers me right, the Prom s was introduced during the briefing for the mission right before End game...whats its name again? Sicilian Defence?

For some strange reason I get the Kaysers in my weapon loadout in the Endgame mission (through the mission sim). I'm sure the Kaysers should be introduced later on in the last few missions. Maybe one of the dozen mods I used altered it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Speed vs maneuverability
The Sicilian Defense was two missions back to Endgame. But there is still no way you get Kaysers in that mission. WHEN YOU PLAY THAT MISSION IN A CAMPAIGN.

Individually, in the simulator you MAY get the Kayser. I am not sure I have not played any FS2 campaign missions in the simulator.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Speed vs maneuverability

And every source I can find on google says that the F-15 is faster. But there's no guarantee that any of it is remotely accurate. The bottom line though is that if you want Freespace to be realistic, the fighters need to be a lot faster.

Agreed.... In every SF show small fighters whizz by like lightning bolts..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Speed vs maneuverability
(Getting some numbers from google:)
MiG-21F: 2175kph, 604m/s, so around 600 top speed in Freespace (at 42640 ft).
F-14 Tomcat: 2517kph, 699m/s, around 700 top speed in Freespace (using afterburners I assume).
F-15 Eagle: 3060kph, 850m/s, around 850 top speed in Freespace.
F-16 Falcon: 2448kph, 680m/s, around 680 top speed in Freespace.
F/A-18 Hornet: 1912 kph, 531m/s, around 530 top speed in Freespace.
F-22 Raptor: 2203kph, 612m/s, around 610 top speed in Freespace.
A10 Thunderbolt 2: 675kph, 187m/s, around 190 top speed in Freespace.
F-117 Stealth: 1224kph+, 340m/s, around 340 top speed in Freespace.
B52 Stratofortress: 1046kph, 290m/s, around 290 top speed in Freespace.
AH-64 Apache Helicopter: 296 kph, 82m/s, around 80 top speed in Freespace.
B-1B Lancer: 1530kph,  425m/s, around 425 top speed in Freespace.
SR-71 Blackbird: 4039kph, 1122m/s, around 1100 top speed in Freespace.
Porche 356: 185kph, 51m/s, around 50 top speed in Freespace.
Space Shuttle: 28296kph, 7860m/s, around 8000 top speed in Freespace (in orbit).

And we have not yet mentioned afterburners, right?

Offline Cabbie

Speed vs maneuverability
The Sicilian Defense was two missions back to Endgame. But there is still no way you get Kaysers in that mission. WHEN YOU PLAY THAT MISSION IN A CAMPAIGN.

Individually, in the simulator you MAY get the Kayser. I am not sure I have not played any FS2 campaign missions in the simulator.

Checked it in the game. Nope, Sicilian Defence is right before Endgame. :)

Your right, Kaysers that early must be a mission sim only option (er, bug?). If you check the weapon loadout in Endgame in the Mission sim, strangely enough, you get the Kaysers as an option.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Speed vs maneuverability

If my memory servers me right, the Prom s was introduced during the briefing for the mission right before End game...whats its name again? Sicilian Defence?

You could be correct but you're most likely wrong. The Prom S is granted in Proving Grounds which means the first mission you'll be able to use it in is The King's Gambit. Now whether you have any available in the team loadout is another matter :D

There's a big table of when weapons were granted in my FAQ so you know where to look next time this one comes up :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cabbie

Speed vs maneuverability
Originally posted by karajorma

You could be correct but you're most likely wrong. The Prom S is granted in Proving Grounds which means the first mission you'll be able to use it in is The King's Gambit. Now whether you have any available in the team loadout is another matter :D

There's a big table of when weapons were granted in my FAQ so you know where to look next time this one comes up :D

Oh okay, thanks :). Hate opening up Freespace and shuffling through the briefings everytime I want to check something out.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Speed vs maneuverability

Checked it in the game. Nope, Sicilian Defence is right before Endgame. :)

Your right, Kaysers that early must be a mission sim only option (er, bug?). If you check the weapon loadout in Endgame in the Mission sim, strangely enough, you get the Kaysers as an option.

I mixed the Sicilian Defense with the King's Gambit. :)
Having the authorization to take the Kayser is not a bug, simply the campaign file doesn't allow you take Kaysers in the campaign. I think [V] allowed the players to take the Kayser in the simulator intentionally.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Speed vs maneuverability

I mixed the Sicilian Defense with the King's Gambit. :)
Having the authorization to take the Kayser is not a bug, simply the campaign file doesn't allow you take Kaysers in the campaign. I think [V] allowed the players to take the Kayser in the simulator intentionally.

Either that or that they simply left the kayser in when testing and simply forgot to remove it when they released the game.

I tend to do that when FREDding. I leave in all the powerful weapons to make testing easy until the final play balance testing when I actually decide what weapons to give the player.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]