Author Topic: Background chatter and something else  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Lynx

Background chatter and something else
How hard would background chatter to implement?

Concerning communications, Freespace many missions are rather shallow compared to other space sims I might name, because you hear nothing but the communication directed just at you. It'd be more immersive if you could hear the other pilots during the fight communicating with each other calling their targets, warning other pilots that there's something behind them etc.(without a comm animation, since the message isn't directed at the player, and less loud, since it's background chatter). It wouldn't need new audio files, since the ones already existing would be sufficient.

Another feature I suggested ages agou would be ambient sound points at ships. That shouldn't be really hard to achieve, since it's almost the same as the engine sound, which is located around the engine subsystem. It'd be really cool to have, for example, hear a continouus chattering, work sounds and the like echoing when you are in the hangar of a ship, for example.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
as for the radio chatter i think communications technology by freespace time would be a little more advanced than using a walke talkie.

now the soundpoints on ships i would like.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Suggested subsystem sounds to Bobboau just before the code freeze, he told me to remind him at some point, but he's kinda busy re-integrating etc at the moment, so I'll hassle him when he has more time on his hands ;)

oy....WCS fanbois....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
oy....WCS fanbois....

huh? :rolleyes:
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Since when does FS2 need chatter...?
It's a different kind of atmosphere from WC games, it's a lot less "we're the boss, we rule the universe, we have all the bravdo" the pilots are less chatty because they're not a ragtag group of undisiplined american morons that may as well be fighting on simple adrenaline.
--
Unlike FS2 where the pilots come over as military, disiplined, professional, don't need to be chatty.

Ahem. :p

If you really wanted it, you could easily just use fred to put it in missions, because that's how [V] set it out, you can simply put the voices in there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 09:21:36 am by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You are well aware, that I am the project head of the Wing Commander Saga mod; perhaps for that reason it might be best for me to point out our objections to your last two posts, you seem so intent to push your point forward. I find it hard at best to accept this.

Keep your opinion about WC pilots to yourself, or explain your point in a more civilized manner.

I am prepared to hear any arguments on this issue, but I want it done in a calm and logical fashion. I do not want to start another flame war, senior member have seen enough already.

May I point out that the intention of this thread was to find out whenever or not the alteration of the original comm system is possible. Your input was not exactly helpful.

Finally, whenever you are aware of it or not, Fred has a SEXP limit and even if we use message list we still hit it. I am afraid, your advice is of no use for us...  Also, if you believe it or not, mission designers are aware of possibility of adding messages into missions. That is their job after all... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 10:23:33 am by 639 »

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
heh? I don't give a damn about the why's, chatters are cool, it's moody. I like chatters.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Bah, if you can't integrate chatter, use Teamspeak instead :p

*runs*
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 11:37:43 am by 29 »
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Nico
heh? I don't give a damn about the why's, chatters are cool, it's moody. I like chatters.

yep, this is generally our point

-WC Saga's beta tester

rofl skippy :p
--
Tolwyn, it fits in WC, but like I said, really not, in FS2.
Different environments.
I see people trying to make one game into another all the time.. heh, though i suppose it'd be another useless flag i wouldn't tick, bleh.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
It fits with FS2 too, look, imagine a mission, and there's chatters.
and...
well, there's no reject, no awful scream coming from your PC! W00t!
It fits OMG IT'S GOOFY!

hem yeah.
SCREW CANON!

Seriously;
If you were chatting as much as the retarded (well...glorified americans) actors on Wing Commander games, in the armed forces, be that army, navy or air, you'd be yelled at by your superiors on the spot, and disciplined later.

Chatter = Unproffessional and makes you a liability because you're an easy source for information.

QD: Know why everyone loved Homesick?

What about integrating some stuff into the background music as a temp solution?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Tolwyn
Finally, whenever you are aware of it or not, Fred has a SEXP limit and even if we use message list we still hit it. I am afraid, your advice is of no use for us...  

Not to mention that there is also a message-limit per mission which lies
below 100 :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Seriously;
If you were chatting as much as the retarded (well...glorified americans) actors on Wing Commander games, in the armed forces, be that army, navy or air, you'd be yelled at by your superiors on the spot, and disciplined later.

Chatter = Unproffessional and makes you a liability because you're an easy source for information.

really, I do not care if you like it or not ... the question is: is the implementation of the background chatter possible? If it bothers you too much, turn voices off. First you bash our work, then you say "WC and FS are just different!!!!!!!!"

And if you believe it or not, pilots are not machines, they have emotions too...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 01:23:06 pm by 639 »

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Lynx

:wtf: Almost any other space sim has background chatter in some way, not only WC. Independence War 1&2, X-Wing vs Tiefighter, X-Wing Alliance, just to name a few.

And they don't have to scream around like 'american' maniacs, as you put it. Do you think the other pilots only warn Alpha 1 when someone is behind him. Do they only praise Alpha 1's kills? Do they only ask Alpha 1 for help when in trouble? etc...

Conclusion of this thread: background chatter and soundpoints are cool and QD is an idiot.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Lynx
QD is an idiot.

you bring it well to the point

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Lynx

Yeah, people always said I'm an eloquent person.:D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I could see chatter in a mission, but it would be much like it is right now where your wingmen will tell you if you're being targetted, like "Watch your back pilot!"  Now in the current game, all of these only apply to the player, and not to any other fighters.  The chatter I could see between the other pilots would be more like "Alpha 4, you've got one on your tail!", or "Nice shot Gamma 2".  Unfortunately, we don't have the audio to generate such messages, and using existing ones would be confusing to the player.  I can see only 2 possible ways to get this coded in the game, and I don't think you'll like either of them.  Number one, propose it to Kazan for Ferrium, which would take some time to become reality.  Number two, (no flame please) propose it to Derek Smart (or more importantly, who ever he hires to create the engine) if he manages to aquire the rights and creates the dreaded FS3.  Of course, neither of those 2 options have any guarentee of success.

One more thing, I know I mentioned mr. Smart here, but I don't want to derail this topic, so please try to save further replies regarding him to more appropriate threads.  Thanks.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!