Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211332 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
uh.. guys, you know he's a troll right...?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
well, poop. i really don't know what to say. ummm... If it ain't V, it ain't FS3.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

What the **** are you talking about? I'm trying to donate some of my hard earned cash, so my favorite series can live on in glory, instead of ending up like trash in Derek Smarts peice of **** hands.

I don't understand why you are saying this. :confused:
"I have a present day install base that pretty much eclipses the Freespace install base. Combined. As such, I think I know what I'm doing."

- Stupid Muther****er (aka Derek Smart)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Bobboau

What, is he going to give our 'buy the rights' threads free publicity? :p
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Tiara
Ok, what are the PC magazines we can write to? :drevil:

He throws with mud, we can throw a ****load of it right in his face. We have enough of his stupidity in this thread to publish. :drevil:

I used to write reviews for a magazine. Suffice to say, this will make a very, VERY, VERY interesting rewiew, might just earn me $$ to donate to the effort if im lucky :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I say that becose
a) he starts posting in a troll like manner, something that someone over there would love to quote to make us look bad, not that we didn't do a very good job of that on our own.
b) I saw someone on that forum post something to the likes of "I see they've started a colection, don't they know that's stupid and doomed to failure" minutes before he posted his "were's the donation thread"

if I am wrong and you are not a troll you could help your case by editing your inital post.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Carl
If it ain't V, it ain't FS3.

i'd agree with this.
not badmouthing the SCP (they've done a very good job so far)
and considering how loaded the derek smart topic is (quite frankly, i found the BC series downright confusing & boring to boot)

but it'd have to *be* made by Volition to be Freespace 3, and feel like it to..

it wouldn't be the same..

to all the guys at volition.... GET THE RIGHTS TO FREESPACE!  :nod:
(if they haven't been snapped up already)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
What a ****ing jackass, you know where Im from if people talked to us like that we'd beat the tar out of them.

oh yeah and OmegaBob on  that forum is the quintessential dousche bag and should be shot. Oh and if your from Philly, mr OmegaBob ( i know youll read this) ill be more than happy to drive an hour from my grandparents house to kick your ass.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 01:03:54 am by 156 »
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Originally posted by milo

Wow, thanks for placing your trust in me.  I'm surprised and rather honored that you would even say something like that.

In reality though, I don't think I'm the right person to be creating FS3.  In my opinion, the core gameplay of the Freespace series is based on the way the story weaves through the tightly scripted missions.  I'm certainly not that good of a mission designer to create a game with a scripted campaign like the one in FS2.  While I'd jump at the chance to work with Mike Kulas and the rest of the Volition team if they did a sequel, I would never try to create one on my own.  I don't know where the story goes next anymore than you guys do.

My goal has been to create a game that sits alongside Freespace as a variation on a theme.  A game with great combat, but using a dynamic campaign engine and a persistent order of battle to explore space warfare in a different way.
[/IMG]

I think that if the game is taken up by a professional developer, than the matter is mostly out of our hands. But, if it comes down to any sort of fan effort, you'de be an asset of inestimable value.

Considering that you basically made, completely by yourself from what I know, a game who's quality is very nearly on par with $20 million budget, AAA games, and a space sim to boot, Derek Smart, or indeed pretty much anyone here with the possible expection of a few programmers/artists, ain't got nothing on you.

Starshatter is original, fun to play, has graphics that rival more or less any space-sim in existance today, including Battlecruiser 3000 (or whatever the latest one is) and Freelancer, and is moddable in a way other games can only dream of. Game rights aren't worth much without a game, and if it comes to making an actual game, there are few people in the industry I would rather have as a consultant/programmer/advisor/well-wisher than you.

this all sounds like ass-kissing, but I do genuinly believe what I said.

Offline Grey Wolf

You know, I've come to regard Derek Smart as Kazan's evil stupid twin.

But I digress.....
Hmm..... People we can actually trust to make FS3......
Whatever happened to the IWar2 guys? :)
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Y'all need to stop acting like the NMA crowd. Granted, that won't change the fact that Derek is being a **** and, given his history, probably will continue to be, but still. It's annoying me, and it's not exactly gonna get you anywhere. A simple "Thanks, Derek, but we're doing fine on our own- since you're apparently a fellow fan who's going to an effort to revive the game, feel free to help out with Ferrium if you like." could have ended all this **** here and now, with none of these preposterous threats of lawsuitage and no real change of plans.

Still, better late than never. Be civil next time. It's hard, but honestly none of your flames were clever enough to compensate for the fact that, both here and at Avault, HLP ended up looking every bit the gaggle of ****cakes Derek's little sycophant cluster did, and until you come up with a few damned good ones stow 'em, or put 'em in a special hate thread or something. If anything ends up hinging on shoring up public sympathy (like raising cash to try and get the license), you'll be glad you passed on the coke machine reference.

Oh, yeah, and milo for President. Yeah.

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Wow...I leave HLP alone for ONE day and I come back to a 389 reply thread in 24 hours.

Well...hell I dont care who has it...if the game is decent and accomplishes my hopes for a Freespace 3, I'll bite.
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hell I went to work for four hours and found this when I checked it in class.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
okay, i'm personally awaiting to see what somebody from Volition has to say about it, either off or on the record, that is..
anyway to blow all this THQ's way?.. i mean, volition /is/ on their payroll.. ;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by KT to Turnsky in AIM
You know, if we make a big enough **** about it, THQ might get wind of Smart getting a **** load of publicity with it and buy it out from under him.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Bobboau
hell I went to work for four hours and found this when I checked it in class.

And I went to bed and found this when I woke up (first thing I do every morning: check HLP :D )

I can't say I like the news of Derek Smart possibly making FS3. I mean, when I heard Bethesda was going to make Fallout 3, I was happy. Why? Because Bethesda made Morrowind (a very good game) and they seem to have exactly the right attitude on making the game great.

I've never played any of Smart's games (tried a demo, didn't even work), but from the reviews I've read they really don't seem that great. And his attitude? Frankly, the worst of HLP is better.

Still, I'm rather optimistic about this. If Smart ever gets FS3 done, it might be great. The signs just aren't that good. I'll reserve mu judgement until I've playd the game.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Stryke 9
you'll be glad you passed on the coke machine reference.

Sorry to tell you... an0n already did that.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I think a lot of people already did that. Myself included, albeit discreetly.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I can't help but feel that there is somethng important that I'm missing on the subject of Coke machines. Its been brought up in every Smart discussion I've seen.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Indeed. :confused:
-C