Author Topic: Request: Old Engine Client  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Request: Old Engine Client
To bad I'm European... well, will sure download it tomorrow - you want feedback in this topic, per PM or per mail?
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Cetanu
To bad I'm European... well, will sure download it tomorrow - you want feedback in this topic, per PM or per mail?

PM would be best.  If the conversation gets long we'll move it to e-mail.

In fact anyone who wants this build just PM me and I'll get you the link.  This build is more to guage the response and be a quick (but viable) fix than anything else.  I'd like to get a better judge for who is using it and who needs it than I would get from a basic link posted in the forum.  It would suck greatly if many coding hours are spent merging the old engine back in and only a handful of people really use it.

Offline Cetanu

I'm not sure how representative this really is:
A lot of people won't use a build which is not yet looking like "almost final" - especially some won't try if the feel hindered. If I meet one who would give it a try, I can't give him a quick link without breaking your statistic, etc

On the long run such a build will sure be used by more people then those asking you now for the test version

Anyway, your work, your rules :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by taylor
In fact anyone who wants this build just PM me and I'll get you the link.  This build is more to guage the response and be a quick (but viable) fix than anything else.  I'd like to get a better judge for who is using it and who needs it than I would get from a basic link posted in the forum.  It would suck greatly if many coding hours are spent merging the old engine back in and only a handful of people really use it.
That's a good idea.  Maybe we should post a sticky announcement saying a build is available, but to get it you have to PM one of us for the link?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Cetanu
On the long run such a build will sure be used by more people then those asking you now for the test version

I'm only looking for about a dozen people to PM me.  That they want it bad enough to go through the trouble makes it worth it to me.  I want to make sure that the other developers don't have a problem with this as well.  What to do will be discussed over the few days and this solution might make everyone happy, I just don't know yet.

I don't want to be a pain making people PM me for the build since I need people to use it but I just don't want to post it in the forum yet.  After a few people have used it without major troubles and I get some feedback as to whether it's enough of a change to make it "lite" enough then it will probably be released in true public style.  If a problem exists though I'd rather hear about it from 3 or 4 people who are prepared to test and give me feeback than 50 people who may not answer my requests.

There are a few ways to come up with a lite version but may require much more work and code changes than are really needed.  If these current minor changes work well for everyone then we can make something official available a lot sooner.

Originally posted by Goober5000
Maybe we should post a sticky announcement saying a build is available, but to get it you have to PM one of us for the link?

I'll be sure to get you the link when I finally get the build fully tested.  I spent pretty much all night working on Fred2 instead of on this thing so I'm a little behind on getting it to people.

Offline Inquisitor

taylor: you're too good :)
No signature.

taylor

for some reason I can NOT PM you to request the info you offered.

I can Invite you over to the BDHR where we will generate as many PMs as you need or want on the subject.

Please join us briefly at http://165thbdhr.com

Colonel Crist-BDHR
http://165thbdhr.com

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I haven't responded to everyone who has sent me a PM but I just wanted to give an update that I'm working on one last bug.  It's a minor but annoying graphics glitch and as soon as I track it down I'll respond to everyone with the download link.  I didn't realize it but current CVS doesn't work very well in non-htl mode using OGL, unless you actually like crashes that is.  Getting all of that fixed has slowed my progress a bit.

col crist: I'll try and PM you when it's ready.

How is this project going on?
Some multiplayers, i would not say a lot or undreds, but "some", have trouble using SCP and so switch to direct IP games.

[DW]-Florian
http://www.darkwing.org.uk/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 08:55:21 am by 1962 »

I agree.....there are quite a few pilots who are having problems playing scp, and want to play old fs2 online. so for those, we play ip to ip games.     but as we all know that is not the same as old fs2 used to be with lobby and stats. wonder if theres any advice for  one in  particular  who has to use open gl when playing scp, or he crashes in game. Problem is all the ships appear black to him on a black background.....any help for this ?

DW-Suzanna
www.darkwing-squad.com
"Hell hath no fury like a woman pilot !"

Offline Cetanu

let me play the oracle of delphi:
in the not to far future the solution to your multiplayer problems will be available...

why do I know that?
because I followed Inquisitors first advice here

so relax and cya on fs2net

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We're working on it.  Slowly, because nearly all the programmers are AWOL/busy at the moment. :(

Offline Poggle

These are some fascinating discussions being generated over this video game, and I am wondering if (V) is aware of the intense popularity?  I wasn't around for those discussions when (V) first gave out signals it would no longer support PXO and FS2.  While reading these posts, in addition to the numerous problems I have had using the SCP Launcher, I thought of some ideas which may help to alleviate our temorous situation:

1.  SCP came out too early, somebody didnt consider the wide range of technology being used out there: for example the voodoo cards working on vanilla FS but not on SCP and in my case I have always played on a laptop which runs great in the highest definitions with vanilla freespace but not with SCP.  Why not let this version of SCP run its course, while going back to scratch with what you've learned so far to rebuild a more stable platform?

2.  The stats web site is great and SCP did a wonderful job putting that together, obviously some hard work was necessary to make that work....now why not use that same (C++?) coding to work for vanilla FS in using the IP connection instead of the PXO?  (BTW I didnt realise it was written in C++, and I wanted to let you know that I used to do a bit of C++ coding, I also have some friends still in the business and might be able to let them have a look if someone wanted to send me ALL of the source code for FS.

3. And on a more personal note, I am having a problem with open gl mode, which is the only mode that I can stay on SCP and not crash.  Direct 3D apparently forces me to get the boot midgame and I would not have a problem but in open gl all the ships come out black....Imagine black ships on a black sky...yeah...I cant see you, so Im flying and shooting by instrument only (grimace) and my squad mates are referring to me as the nearsighted hedgehog....so if anyone can tell me what is going on with that?  I was never a game coder so I can only guess what happened there....

4.  Good job otherwise, and if I offer my limited services in any way I can...currently between school and work I dont have much time, but I would like to have a look at the source code.  Thank you for reading my humble post......

Poggle the Hedgehog

Offline Cetanu

1. that got already mentioned and led to locked threads

2. soon solved ... says the oracle

3. soon solved ... says the oracle

Offline Inquisitor

Source code is freely available via anonymous CVS, have a look at the various getting started threads and docs :)

We're always looking for people to join the team.

No comment on 1), search the forums or argue with me about it on IM ;)
No signature.

Offline redmenace

Ferrium is the answer to one. And thats all I will say.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat